Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build wont post :(

Options
  • 23-08-2007 9:35pm

Hitting a brick wall her, if anyone can help, no signal to the monitor, getting a repeated beeping that doesnt end.

Motherboard
    MSI K9MM-V
    Processor
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+
    Ram
    TwinMOS DDR2 PC6400 1024MB CL5, 64M*8/16chip, 800MHz, 240pin

Im thinking its the ram. The motherboard website has a list of supported Ram and its not on it. But before I spend anymore more money on Ram I want to check here? Is there anyway of verifying if its the processor or motherboard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Before you do all that check the psu is connected properly. Best to undo everything, and then plug it all back in. And only use the following to boot.

1 stick of ram
    1 hard drive
    onboard graphics if you have it

Leave out any sound cards, second hard drives, optical drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If this system is in a case then remove all system components from the case.

1:Place motherboard on a table.
    2:Install one stick of RAM and CPU (+ HSF) only.
    3:Connect PSU to all necessary motherboard power connections.
    4:Connect monitor to VGA connector on motherboard.
    5:Power on monitor.
    6:Locate Front Panel connection Header Pins, and short the two power pins.
    7:With power now running through the board, check for spinning CPU fan and hopefully output on display.
    8:If still just beeps then move RAM to different slot.
    9:If beeps after all slots have been checked then repeat with different RAM stick.
    10:If still beeps then establish what BIOS your board has and look up the Beep code in google.

Test every new build outside the PC case with minimal components first, adding extra components and checking each time until you're sure your system works OK with all components connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Reset the BIOS (CMOS)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Paul Ryan

I had that problem once, and i just took out one stick of ram at a time and started the Pc and it worked i had dodgy Ram, it might be as simple as that.

posting from the new build!!

Hooray

Thanks all for your suggestions - helped me determine beyond doubt that it was in fact the ram, new ram installed working perfectly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

good stuff. Now overclock that biaaaatch ;)

One thing thats not really causing a problem but has me wondering!
    I have a 500Gb SATA drive which I partitioned into a 75 Gb operating system part and then theres the rest for storage, (running XP btw) beside the windows clock is the little green arrow for unplugging USB devices - when ya click on it its going on about unplugging the big partition?? What the fudge is all that about?

Oh nevermind just found the answer on this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055138792

Eh using this: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=110632, Sunsway/ST Lab PCI ATA133 2P , Silicon Image chip with the motherboard so I can access 4 of my ata hard disks but when I install the drivers (or even let windows do it automatically) it re boots and detects all 4 hdds. No probs. But the next time you restart it will only detect 2. WTF(udge)?

Advertisement