Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf: Private sale - 1 owner Im told - things to check ?

Options
  • 23-08-2007 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

VW Golf 1.4L petrol 2003, €12950.00
    28k mls, 3 dr, h/b, manual, met, silver, ABS, a/c, a/b, alloys, CD, c/l, e/m, fsh, f/s, immob, p/s, , immaculate,

> One owner.

But suspect: - callers mobile faulty couldnt take / receive calls could only text tonight. Will speak with tomorrow.

Anywho .........

Apart from mechanical ........

The paper work:
    VRN should match?
    Anything else.

 They are midlands - but if I bring a mechanic with me would be an idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

put the reg number into this page:
    http://www.benchmarkcars.ie/auctions/reg.php

and it will give you some handy info for free.

Thanks to eamon234 for bringing this page to our attention

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Listen for tapping noises from the engine which could be indicative of piston slap. If so just walk away. But do get a mechanic to check over it if you can.

no NCT? even if it's not due till later in the year, the seller can do it 6 months early - i.e now. don't buy it without a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's still a lot of money for a nearly 5 year old base Golf. Right or wrong, 1.4l petrol Golfs are very popular in Ireland as a second hand buy. Great for the first owner who is about to sell. Not so good for the second hand buyer imho. Overpriced being the operative word

worded wrote:
    VW Golf 1.4L petrol 2003, €12950.00 28k mls,
    Ok then.............
    worded wrote:
    3 dr
    Basic, but nice if that's what you're after.
    worded wrote:
    h/b, manual, ABS, CD, c/l, p/s, immob
    All are standard
    worded wrote:
    a/b, f/s, e/m

What are these?
    worded wrote:
    met, silver, immaculate
    Nice bonuses, but not essential, imo.

Unkel is right, it sounds a bit rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

e/m = electric mirrors. No idea what a/b and f/s are.

Stephen wrote:
    e/m = electric mirrors.

DOH! :rolleyes:

That makes it a Comfortline...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Stephen wrote:
    e/m = electric mirrors. No idea what a/b and f/s are.
    a/b - airbag perhaps?
    f/s - usually FSH - perhaps f/s means Full Service History? If it doesnt, what does it mean then?

I note it has aircon - MkIV Golf never had such a feature IIRC, it was either Climate Control or nothing from what I remember

Edit: I see it has both f/s and fsh- what does f/s stand for?

didn't base models have electric mirrors in 03?

Stephen wrote:
    No idea what a/b and f/s are.

Airbag, front spots (foglights) maybe?

• Advertisement

E92 wrote:
    a/b - airbag perhaps?
    f/s - usually FSH - perhaps f/s means Full Service History? If it doesnt, what does it mean then?

I note it has aircon - MkIV Golf never had such a feature IIRC, it was either Climate Control or nothing from what I remember

Spot on with the airbags - but they are standard.

f/s - the OP also mentions fsh - so that's what has me puzzled over f/s.

Climate control was available, as was a feature called Thermotronic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd ensure it wasn't previously owned by drdre :D

colm_mcm wrote:
    didn't base models have electric mirrors in 03?

You could be right. The Bora had them since March 2000 (and E/W), but the Bora has always had a better spec than the Golf.

I doubt it- even in the UK the Golf E didnt have such a 'luxury', which was the same as our base model, wasn't it?

Even if the Golf E wasnt the equivalent, VWs of that time were famous for coming with nothing as standard here, so I still doubt that it had Electric Windows if it were the basic model. After all, they only put aircon on the top of the range Golf this year- the Focus and even the very basic Auris/Corolla have had aircon on their top models for over half a decade at this stage.

It did have it - see item number 4 in the attachment............

Careful now, no (more) pimping ;)

E92 wrote:
    I doubt it- even in the UK the Golf E didnt have such a 'luxury', which was the same as our base model, wasn't it?

Even if the Golf E wasnt the equivalent, VWs of that time were famous for coming with nothing as standard here, so I still doubt that it had Electric Windows if it were the basic model. After all, they only put aircon on the top of the range Golf this year- the Focus and even the very basic Auris/Corolla have had aircon on their top models for over half a decade at this stage.

Mk3 Golf base models were reasonably well equipped a few years into production, 4 elec windows, electric mirrors cd, front and side bags CD etc. were all standard by 2003.

All golf models got standard aircon this year, not just "top of the range" models.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

unkel wrote:
    Careful now, no (more) pimping ;)

No worries,post gone! :)

Me is a Pimp now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Asking price of €13k for an almost 5 year old Golf and a private sale at that, is silly money. No doubt someone will pay it. :rolleyes:

A long shot but f/s could mean factory sunroof?

colm_mcm wrote:
    All golf models got standard aircon this year, not just "top of the range" models.

What:eek: ? VW are putting aircon in as standard on all Golfs these days:) ? MDL must be on drugs:eek: , to think that you actually get such an "advanced" feature on a VW Golf now?(Never mind the fact it appeared in the Merc S-class about 40 years ago) The person(s) in MDL who decide the spec levels of VWs need to be rushed to hospital to the A&E section instantly. They were obviously completely and utterly pissed the night they decided that:D . I nearly had heart failure hearing that news.:eek: Because on any normal day, aircon wouldn't be added to a VW until about 30 years time.:D

• Advertisement

to be fair, they're giving the customer what they want. If the standard model Auris had air conditioning, my job would be a lot easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Just got this from autotrader.co.uk but fs is no there
    but as far as i know it means Fully Serviced.

4WS 4 Wheel steering
    4WD 4 Wheel drive
    ABS Anti-lock Braking System
    Air Con Air conditioning
    A/Wheels Alloy wheels
    CATI (2) Alarm (Immobiliser)
    C/Coded Colour coded
    C/Control Cruise control
    Clim/Cont Climate Control
    C/Locking Central locking
    E/M Electric mirrors
    E/Seats Electric seats
    E/S/R Electric sunroof
    E/W Electric windows
    FFSR Factory fitted sunroof
    FSH Full service history
    FDSH Full dealer service history
    FWD/4WD Four wheel drive
    FWH Free wheeling hubs
    H/L, W/W Headlamp wash/wipe
    H/Seats Heated seats
    H/S Hard & soft tops
    Immob Engine immobiliser
    LPG Liquified Petroleum Gas
    LWB Long wheelbase
    MPV Multi purpose vehicles
    N/S/D Near side damage
    O/D Overdrive
    O.I.R.O Offers in the region of
    ONO Or nearest offer
    O/S/D Offside damage
    OVNO Or very nearest offer
    PAS Power assisted steering
    P/X Part exchange
    R/Cass Radio cassette
    R/H/R Rear head restraints
    R/S/B Rear seat belts
    RWW Rear wash/wipe
    T/Glass Tinted glass
    T & T Taxed & tested (MOT)
    VGC Very good condition
    VTS Vehicle Tracking System
    VCAR* Vehicle Condition Alert Registered vehicle (insurance write-off)
    W/Wheels Wire wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

E92 wrote:
    What:eek: ? VW are putting aircon in as standard on all Golfs these days:) ? MDL must be on drugs:eek: , to think that you actually get such an "advanced" feature on a VW Golf now?(Never mind the fact it appeared in the Merc S-class about 40 years ago) The person(s) in MDL who decide the spec levels of VWs need to be rushed to hospital to the A&E section instantly. They were obviously completely and utterly pissed the night they decided that:D . I nearly had heart failure hearing that news.:eek: Because on any normal day, aircon wouldn't be added to a VW until about 30 years time.:D

Aren't MDL loosing the VW Irish distribution franchise and VW taking it over themselves soon?

bazz26 wrote:
    Aren't MDL loosing the VW Irish distribution franchise and VW taking it over themselves soon?

Yep - AFAIK the transition is in progress and will be completed by mid 2008. Hopefully there will be a marked improvement in attitude - but I won't hold my breath as I believe a good portion of the current MDL staff are to be retained...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

crosstownk wrote:
    Spot on with the airbags - but they are standard.

f/s - the OP also mentions fsh - so that's what has me puzzled over f/s.

FSH is full service history, f/s means fully serviced. It means it has both a full service history and been quite recently serviced.

bazz26 wrote:

They are and they're losing the Audi and Skoda one too, and they have already lost the Mazda one, leaving them with just Mercedes-Benz now.
    Seats are distributed by the OHM Group, anyone know if OHM are to lose their Seat franchise as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

Considering that it has low mileage (FSH) / 1 owner - how much is this "immaculate" car worth?

As you say almost 5 years old.

A fair price =
    A very good price =

colm_mcm wrote:
    to be fair, they're giving the customer what they want. If the standard model Auris had air conditioning, my job would be a lot easier!

Wow thats very interesting. I would have always said that as long as the Auris had a Toyota badge, it would sell like hot cakes, and to hell with what was fitted as standard.

But that in itself raises a point, and that is that too many Toyotas come with nothing as standard. Aircon on an Auris/Corolla is not standard till one reaches the top of the range Luna model(I think there is a Sol model, but I've yet to see it). In most other cars of that size, its standard once one moves off the base model. The Yaris doesn't have it on any model, Ford have fitted chilled air on their Fiesta Ghia since 1999.

On the conrinent, virtually every Toyota there is the equivalent of our Luna spec(at a minimum). And Luna here is at the top or close to the top in this country!

If even VW now put aircon as standard on all Golfs, then that means that everyone else should have done it a few years ago. VWs are supposed to be following the trend, not setting it:D .(Mind you, the amount of people who drive with the windows open in a car that has aircon as standard never fails to amaze me, and even in cars where its not standard on the base model, and you have to be someway interested in cars if you are going for something other than a base model)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

VW Golf 1.4L petrol 2003, €12950.00
    28k mls, 3 dr, h/b, manual, met, silver, ABS, a/c, a/b, alloys, CD, c/l, e/m, fsh, f/s, immob, p/s, , immaculate,

Anyone got an opinion on value?

Considering that it has low mileage (FSH) / 1 owner - how much is this "immaculate" car worth?

As you say almost 5 years old.

A fair price =
    A very good price =

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Just for comparison, I brought in a 2003 Golf 1.6 auto 5dr with a/c, leather and ESP, 24k miles, FVWSH, from the UK in September 2005. It cost €13,750 landed.

Advertisement