Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish army ranger wing

Options
  • 23-08-2007 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

A friend of mine (it actually is a friend, not me) is thinking of joining the army after college has mentioned that he wants to apply for the rangers. Does anyone know how tough it actually is to make the rangers. I have heard that something like 70% of applicants dont make it through SEAL training in the US, is the ratio similar for the rangers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

The guys here wont talk about them and too right either will i but go to Easons and see the newest issue of An Cosantoir on the shelves for an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dangel

Hi Hudson4ever,
    It is open to serving members of the Defence Forces only. Check out this link http://www.military.ie/army/ranger/train.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

its very very very very hard! ;)

and there would be a higher dropout ratio in the ranger wing than 70%, more like 85%

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What's the score with not talking about the rangers?

I have heard all sorts of rumours about them and what they do or allegedly did.

There's plenty of information available about foreign special forces and their training. For example the Norwegian SF; they freed that German woman who was hostage in Afghanistan during the week (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1950007.ece). I have seen documentaries on their training operations in the arctic (jumping from a low flying Hercules into a fjord, getting into a one man liferaft and then hooking onto the periscope of a surfacing submarine before climbing onboard and into it, all whilst underway :cool: )

There's a myriad of books and documentaries regarding the SAS and SEAL's just to name two other special forces. Why the secrecy surrounding our rangers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Articles about the ARW can be found from time to time in An Cosantóir, the DF magazine. You don't come across much about them because in general the media isn't interested in the DF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

cushtac wrote:
    You don't come across much about them because in general the media isn't interested in the DF.

Thats a shame:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

they are good marksmen but my only piece of advice is

dont get attached to your puppy

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

I read this in the sunday business post a while back thought it was kind of interesting and a shame if its true too!

http://www.thepost.ie/post/text/story.asp?document_id=25689&category_name=&version=print

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Don't know if the article is true but it wouldn't surprise me. To be honest if your friend's reason for joining the army is to get into special forces then I would have question his motivation. It ain't like the movies. :( In any case the tend to weed out the fantasy merchants quite quickly. A few sleepless nights and long cold marches soon sort out the motivated from the enthusiasts.

Besides, if he really wants an 'interesting' military career. He would really be better off joining the British army. The SAS always had a disproportionate Irish membership and if he can cut the mustard with them, he'll do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Hmm just noticed something, on the ARW homepage it says
    Information on the numerical strength of the Ranger Wing and the identity of its personnel is restricted.

Yet on the link to that article it says:
    However, the Department of Finance has told PDforra that no additional money is available to increase the weekly allowance of e 143.01 per member on top of the basic salary paid to the 100-strong elite unit.

Estimate is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Conor108 wrote:
    Estimate is it?

Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

maybe the journalist took that info from this site

http://www.specialoperations.com/Foreign/Ireland/Rangers/default.htm

its states approximately 100 strong on that site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tangod

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

tangod wrote:
    they dont have much combat experience apart from peacekeeping
    Their operations are kept secret so how do you know how much combat they have been involved in?
    tangod wrote:
    more people are leaving the unit every year.
    People get older, it's a young man's game. As long as there are new applicants there's no problem.

BTW welcome to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i would say the failure rate is above 90%

the fact that no1 knows much if anything about them is great imo.

also bear in mind that alot of operations of the kind that a unit like that would take part in the credit for them would go to the regular enforcement of the area

also an old friend of mine told us (after his father retired) that his father was the commandant(think thats what he said) of the wing for a while I have no idea how true this was but we heard a few interesting and believable stories all the same(from the son not father).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

If you want to find out the fitness 12 month there was a article in the Evening Herald im sure you could track it down on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PeakOutput wrote:
    the fact that no1 knows much if anything about them is great imo.
    As the old saying goes "loose lips sink ships", so it's a plus that there's so little info on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Speaking to guys who were in the army they told me that people who were given special dispensation to train all day and night for ranger selection still failed.
    They ran all day and night and worked on all areas of strength. When it came to the selection though they failed as they hadn't factored in the mental stamina that is needed in addition, not that they could've done anything to change that-you either have it or you don't. From what I've heard of the selection process that is very true of the Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP your friend will do good just getting through recruit training first. Let him do that and see if he still has an appetite for 'the wing.

If he does decide to go, its one of the units/course's in the Defence Forces which he company commander can not refuse him.

There's lots of advice issued by the Ranger Wing before the course, and if he can't find it a quick phone call to the wing will get him all the advice he needs, including a suggested fitness training programme. Once he has a place his joining instructions will include the rest.

Someone said they've only been involved in peace keeping op's?.

Well they were first into East Timor & brought back a fine reputation from there. Plus they were first into Liberia, and spearheaded a rescue operation there back up by regular D.F. pers from 2 E brigade (Eastern Command for you old sweats!).

They were also involved in the rescue of four prison officers in Mount Joy prison a few year's back.

All this made the mainstream media.

Once this thread reaches the Wing's orderly room we'll all meet mysterious deaths in the next 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

lemansky wrote:
    Speaking to guys who were in the army they told me that people who were given special dispensation to train all day and night for ranger selection still failed.
    They ran all day and night and worked on all areas of strength. When it came to the selection though they failed as they hadn't factored in the mental stamina that is needed in addition, not that they could've done anything to change that-you either have it or you don't. From what I've heard of the selection process that is very true of the Rangers.

yeah i second that, that pretty much sums it up, sometimes ya can train right....but wrong, for instance i ran with heavy weight but slow and on the course we ran with much lighter weight but much faster and that caught me off guard!! ya definitly have to have your head in the right place but its grand and easy sayin that sittin here, try have the same attitude when your gettin slaughtered!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

king-stew wrote:
    its grand and easy sayin that sittin here, try have the same attitude when your gettin slaughtered!!!

Absolutely!

All the mental torture is the worst part I hear(from guys who have done it or people who know people etc). If you're fit and can withstand that you're away!Happy rangering:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Mairt wrote:
    They were also involved in the rescue of four prison officers in Mount Joy prison a few year's back.

Have you more info on this buddy?

Steyr wrote:
    Have you more info on this buddy?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Mairt wrote:
    Well they were first into East Timor & brought back a fine reputation from there. Plus they were first into Liberia, and spearheaded a rescue operation there back up by regular D.F. pers from 2 E brigade (Eastern Command for you old sweats!).

QUOTE]

4 W Bde - 90 Inf Bn were drawn from 4 W Bde

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

muletide wrote:
    Mairt wrote:

QUOTE]

4 W Bde - 90 Inf Bn were drawn from 4 W Bde

The Infantry Unit that relieved the ARW were from 2 Inf Bn.

muletide wrote:

The Infantry Unit that relieved the ARW were from 2 Inf Bn.

I know, but I never say "2 inf bn" because there's always elements drawn from 2 cav, border units and LSB.

Anyway my point was that not all missions are 'peace keeping'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mairt wrote:

Members of the Irish military entered a civilian facility to "rescue four prison officers"? Anti terrorist work is one thing, but against civilians who at best had home made weapons? What would have happened if shots had been fired by the ARW and civilians killed? Putting highly trained military personnel up against thugs and drug dealers sound very fishy to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A friend of mine (it actually is a friend, not me) is thinking of joining the army after college has mentioned that he wants to apply for the rangers. Does anyone know how tough it actually is to make the rangers. I have heard that something like 70% of applicants dont make it through SEAL training in the US, is the ratio similar for the rangers?

He could join the Royal Irish there official title is Ranger's.

Anyway best learn to walk before running he could be three minutes in the medical and sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Dyflin wrote:
    Members of the Irish military entered a civilian facility to "rescue four prison officers"? Anti terrorist work is one thing, but against civilians who at best had home made weapons? What would have happened if shots had been fired by the ARW and civilians killed? Putting highly trained military personnel up against thugs and drug dealers sound very fishy to me...

Well I believe they are highly disciplined. I don't think they are a gang trigger happy goons. Who would you have rescue prison officers? These guys would know how much force is appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Well I believe they are highly disciplined. I don't think they are a gang trigger happy goons. Who would you have rescue prison officers? These guys would know how much force is appropriate.
    While I do respect and admire those working in the Irish Defence Forces, there's something about the ARW that sits a little uneasy with me.

For starters they seem to be making a conscious effort to emulate the mystique of the British SAS through their use of secrecy.

For example, someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the fact that they always conceal their faces at public functions is down to their own choice and not because of a GHQ standing order.

I also do remember that there was a bit of a kafuffle about 15 years ago when some politician came to award them with something or other and they insisted to donning the black balaclavas as their were press photographers present.

I've also heard that they've came first at some annual International competition for special forces units, beating even the US SEALS and British SAS, does anyone have any more information on this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement