Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish army ranger wing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Ruen wrote:
    No shots ever hit a mega-phone.

'The smashed loudhailer lay on the ground.The bullet that went through it had done the desired damage.....'

From one of the books about Abbeylara that wasn't really very neutral. The foreword actually made me laugh.

The moment he left that house and didn't stop, everything that had happened before became irrelevant, mental state and the way he had been dealt with included. They saw a man with a shotgun that they saw had one in it when he closed it back up, advancing on their position. That is what they had to act upon.After calls to stop he didn't. End of story.

A split second to make a decision, as long as anyone needed to scrutinise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

People also forget that the ERU weren't running things in Abbeylara, a local Supt was in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

arw5ae7dd5.gif
    arw16zw3al1.jpg
    arw30na2ah2.jpg
    arwcopygs7dd8.jpg
    rangerwithsteyrauga3it8.jpg
    scannedphotos001pg2cf7.jpg
    scannedphotos003do6vg5.jpg
    scannedphotos006rj3my8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

nice pics, is that steyr sprayed black!? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

Poccington wrote:
    So by your logic, they should've stayed out of his way altogether?

Stayed out of his way after he had already fired numerous shots and was a threat to the public? When there is a man with a loaded weapon and who is percieved as a threat to the public....... You cannot just "stay outta the way"

The Garda took the necessary action with regards to the situation...... How anybody can try place blame on the Garda in that situation is beyond me. But then again, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    No, but not in his direct line of fire....that's logical.
    He wasnt much of a threat inside a Garda cordon when the nearest public were a couple miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Looks like someone took all the pictures out of this Months An Cosantoir....:D :):D

Threat to the public or unarmed Gardaí aside, he was told to drop his weapon, he didn't he must be treated like everyone else in that situation, regardless of his mental state.(In fact all the gardaí could do was assume that that would make him more unpredictable.Not necessarily more dangerous, but more unpredictable.)

king-stew wrote:
    nice pics, is that steyr sprayed black!? :o

No, Its the A2 version..It has a picatinny rail system for adding accessories..,for example Night vision, Surfire tourch,laser designators and various other sighting systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No, Its the A2 version..It has a picatinny rail system for adding accessories..,for example Night vision, Surfire tourch,laser designators and various other sighting systems.

No its actually the new A3 version.

No its actually the new A3 version.

Correct..I meant the A3:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Of course it's hard being in the Wing..... You have to walk around with black tape over your eyes everyday :p

Poccington wrote:
    Of course it's hard being in the Wing..... You have to walk around with black tape over your eyes everyday :p
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dirty Dave

Saw some pictures in an coisantior (Yes I realise it's spelled wrong) a few years ago - there was some kind of anniversary of the ARW, 20 years I think?

Anyway, they had this big multi page spread showing the festivities - they had invited serving and former members of the unit with their families to the curragh for the day - they had stalls and demo's set up etc for people to see and play with.

The funny thing was, they blurred out the faces of all the rangers in the photo, but not their wives and children! So there was super secretive rangers with their faces blurred out, who were carrying easily identifiable children on their shoulders, with their arms around easily identifiable wives! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Ye guys know that the ARW came second in a special forces competion which had all the worlds best and most known special forces.

I was really shocked at some peoples views on them as these guysa are the best of the best practically on a world wide view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

lemansky wrote:
    Threat to the public or unarmed Gardaí aside, he was told to drop his weapon, he didn't he must be treated like everyone else in that situation, regardless of his mental state.(In fact all the gardaí could do was assume that that would make him more unpredictable.Not necessarily more dangerous, but more unpredictable.)

My opinion about this at the time, and now was/is quite simple.

Big boys games, big boys rules.

He came out of the house, with a loaded gun, and had already shown a willingness to use the weapon.
    The fact that he was mentally disturbed is what made the situation into the press induced hunting party that it became.

But no matter how mentally disturbed you are, i think you'd know that to come out of a house carrying a gun, walking towards other lads with guns and them shouting at you to put the weapon down, then you are gonna know that it isn't the safest situation to be in, and you realise that you'd better put the gun down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Seloth wrote:
    Ye guys know that the ARW came second in a special forces competion which had all the worlds best and most known special forces.

Not second they came third, Its on again very soon they are trying for Number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I think I might still have that article about that tournament upstairs.

I'll have a look for it and if I find it I'll put it up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Poccington wrote:
    I think I might still have that article about that tournament upstairs.

I'll have a look for it and if I find it I'll put it up.

I could be wrong but I think I remember reading that no US Units entered this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Dub13 wrote:
    I could be wrong but I think I remember reading that no US Units entered this competition.
    you'd be absolutely correct.neither did UKSF.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/army-rangers-among-best-elite-forces-210033.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

according to the article though they only enter if they have a high chance of winning...trith or Irish boastful lies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Seloth wrote:
    according to the article though they only enter if they have a high chance of winning...trith or Irish boastful lies.

The U.S and U.K only enter when they're not up to their tonsils in Iraq or Afghanistan!!!

CLADA wrote:
    The U.S and U.K only enter when they're not up to their tonsils in Iraq or Afghanistan!!!

Thats what I was thinking,why enter a competition when there guys are doing it for real day in day out.

On a side note,if the last competition was back in 03 and its every 4 years their should be one this year.

Dub13 wrote:
    Thats what I was thinking,why enter a competition when there guys are doing it for real day in day out.

On a side note,if the last competition was back in 03 and its every 4 years their should be one this year.

yep..happening very shortly.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Seloth wrote:

It is a ridiculous thing to say. And badly written too. A sentence on its own.

When people think of special forces it is usually the Yanks, the Brits and the Israelis that come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Indeed, Dub is correct. They would be too busy to enter a mere competition when they're doing it for real every day. They may not even win in any case. Any time soldiers are operational they lose some of the training edge. Think about if you had a marching competition. Who would you enter, experienced troops or newly minted recruits?

I suspect the SAS would win anyway, but not the Americans. But look at it this way. If the ARW won, that might just make our guys the second best in the world.

It would be no surprise for the ARW to do well. After all, no one would dare question the fighting abilities of Irish soldiers serving in any army, history tells us that. The SAS itself has always had a strong Irish contingent. Not just Nordies either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

cp251 wrote:
    Indeed, Dub is correct. They would be too busy to enter a mere competition when they're doing it for real every day. They may not even win in any case. Any time soldiers are operational they lose some of the training edge. Think about if you had a marching competition. Who would you enter, experienced troops or newly minted recruits?

I suspect the SAS would win anyway, but not the Americans. But look at it this way. If the ARW won, that might just make our guys the second best in the world.

It would be no surprise for the ARW to do well. After all, no one would dare question the fighting abilities of Irish soldiers serving in any army, history tells us that. The SAS itself has always had a strong Irish contingent. Not just Nordies either.

There are a good few people from ROI floating about the Royal Marines as well.

I have a friend who is the works in recruitment for the Royal Navy in NI. He said that the recruits from ROI are the best he sees and he has worked all over the UK.

For a person to sign up to the Navy or Marines in England or Scotland, they can simply pop down to their high street where there is a recruitment centre, sign on the dotted line and on they go.

For someone from ROI to sign up, they have to go up to Northern Ireland, go to an interview in Palace Barracks, pass security checks which can take
    up to six months. To go through all this you need to be especially committed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

SAS would win anyway......load of s...t

What about the SAS team ambushed and killed in the North by an IRA active service unit while the SAS were waiting to ambush them ?

Met an ex Irish Army Ranger and he reckoned best special forces were the German GSG9 and that the SAS were "pussies" !

What about Bravo Two Zero, what a cock up. All because they never checked their radio frequencies.... amatuers !

All unites whether elite or mainstream have there cock ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Met an ex Irish Army Ranger and he reckoned best special forces were the German GSG9 and that the SAS were "pussies" !

a view he would no doubt share with any member of the SAS face to face:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

a view he would no doubt share with any member of the SAS face to face:rolleyes:

Anyone can shoot unarmed people, bit harder when they're shooting back !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement