Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Overheating

Options
  • 23-08-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I have a 97 fiat punto and recently the engine temperature has been high when im sitting in traffic... it goes down normally once i start driving. Today however it didnt, the temp goes up as soon as the engine is turned on.

Anybody have any idea what could be wrong and roughly how much to fix? Going to try and get it looked at on monday.

Cheers,
    brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Blown head gasket is a common problem on old puntos. It would cause overheating. Have you noticed a lack of power? Any mayonnaise-like gunk inside the oil filler cap? Which engine have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Do you mean it goes to 'overtemp' the second you start the engine - if so it sounds like a temp sensor fault. If it it takes a fair few minutes then it could easily be a stuck thermostat.

But do get it checked, and if you're in any doubt then don't drive it in case you do further damage. If an engine gets too hot for too long the head gasket is wide open to taking a hammering - especially on a Punto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

Defo head gasket. Goes on all Puntos around every 40,000 miles.Bad luck but it happens to em all !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

When you say the gauge went up "as soon" as you started the car - how long (in seconds) did it take. And was the engine stone cold or already warm/hot before you started it.

It might just be a faulty temp gauge.

brian_rbk wrote:
    the engine temperature has been high when im sitting in traffic... it goes down normally once i start driving. Today however it didnt, the temp goes up as soon as the engine is turned on.

Maybe a rad fan switch?

Was the engine cold or hot when you turned it on - on the occasion you mention? Have you sufficient coolant? Does your heater blow hot air if you turn the dial to 'full heat'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

It takes about 5 mins of driving now for it to overheat, it used to take much longer, and it overheats now even if the car is moving, which didnt happen before today ... I have noticed slight loss in power alright ... not much. If it is the head gasket how much roughly could i be looking at?

edit - engine was cold, havent checked the coolant, but the heater does work on full heat
    engine is 1.1 punto sx 55

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Check for stuff like dirty mayonnaise under the oil filler cap - this is caused by coolant mixing with oil, which is a real sign of a knackered head gasket. Dunno how much it costs to fix, fortunately I've never been in that position!

Right - don't drive it or you risk further damage. It could be a dodgy stat or maybe a blown head gasket. If you do have to drive it, be sure the temp gauge doesn't go above 'normal' or you could do further damage. Get it checked. I'd guess at about a grand to replace a head gasket and skim the head.

Know somebody who got one done a while back. Think it cost her 600 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

check the coolant level, as in top up the radiator and see how much she takes, if she takes a lot she could have just been low.
    and as the others said, could be the sensor or head gasket

and dont ever buy a fiat again ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies ... have to consider if its worth getting fixed if it will cost a grand. Hopefully it wont be that much.

Ill check the coolant but all the signs are pointing towards the head gasket ... i wont be buying a fiat again!!

Another fiat driver converted !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP: is the fan kicking in?

It could very well be the thermostat.

Yeah check the coolant and top up if necesary. Then start the car. If
    -the heater gets hot
    -the radiator gets hot
    -the gauge shows overheating 5 minutes after a cold start
    -the radiator fan comes on

On a punto 8v, you'd have to suspect head gasket. The garage will be able to tell you for sure.

If you have to drive anywhere turn on heater and fan full blast and open all the windows - this will give some extra cooling and may even stop the car from overheating

Fan isnt kicking in at all. When i opened the hood i could hear what sounded like the water bubbling.

cheers, ill try doing all of the above

Well...if the gauge is showing overheating but there is no fan on, it may not be the HG after all. It could be a faulty gauge/sender or a faulty thermostat or faulty water pump.

OTOH you could have a combination of problems. Maybe your fan failed at first, car overheated in traffic and now your HG is gone as a direct result :eek: Given the sequence you described (first overheating in traffic, now all the time) this is fairly likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

crosstownk wrote:
    Right - don't drive it or you risk further damage. It could be a dodgy stat or maybe a blown head gasket. If you do have to drive it, be sure the temp gauge doesn't go above 'normal' or you could do further damage. Get it checked. I'd guess at about a grand to replace a head gasket and skim the head.

Thankfully, it's a lot less than that.... A mate of mine recently had one done and all in, including mechanics labour, skim and re-gasket, oil/coolant flush, AND a timing belt change while he was tearing it down, it cost €500. Not bad at all I thought. And of all places to have it done for such a low price, with a warranty on the parts and work, it was Advance Pitstop in Dundrum!

Gil_Dub wrote:
    it was Advance Pitstop in Dundrum!

*Makes the sign of the cross*

But seriously, glad to hear its not as much as I expected.

€500 i could just about live with :) ... thats good to know! Thanks for all the help/suggestions... ill let you know how i get on

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

brian_rbk wrote:
    Fan isnt kicking in at all. When i opened the hood i could hear what sounded like the water bubbling.
    I had a similar problem with a SEAT Cordoba. The switch on the fan was gone which caused the coolant to evaporate, as more and more of it evaporated the problem got worse and happened faster. I bypassed the switch which meant the fan ran all of the time, topped up the coolant and the engine stopped overheating. My mechanic (who talked me through this on a mobile) replaced the switch and the car runs fine. 5 minute job - total cost €50. I know that the Fiat may well be different but it might be worth a try. I'm not the best with mechanical things so a good trustworthy mechanic who won't gouge you is a real find:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

brian_rbk wrote:

cheers, ill try doing all of the above
    My money is on the thermostat. Anyone taking action? :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

axer wrote:
    My money is on the thermostat. Anyone taking action? :D;)

I'll say "fan" ;-)

Just cos I'm having a similar problem at the moment: I replaced the headgasket on my W124 a couple of months back, put in a new electric thermoswitch for the fan (brand new, not expensive) but saw the temp needle climbing high a couple of days ago in traffic. Stopped the car, popped the bonnet and the bloody fan wasn't running.

I used a bit of wire to join the two connections that go to the thermoswitch - so the fan now runs whenever the engine is on. Not ideal, but at least the car's safe to drive for a while until I replace the switch (again). Just shows you - even new parts can be crap.

franksm wrote:

I used a bit of wire to join the two connections that go to the thermoswitch - so the fan now runs whenever the engine is on. Not ideal

You might want to get yourself a nice warm anorak before the cold weather returns :D

I did exactly the same on an car I had years ago, but I put a manual switch on the dash - it worked fine - until one day when my mother drove it and forgot about the switch................:(.

Advertisement