Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road rules ads on telly

Options
  • 23-08-2007 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

...and More of them! During prime time hours.
    They need to target the audience that never have done their test, and many more it seems. Have just the basics, like using your indicators and turn on your lights when your windsreen wipers are on, etc.
    I know there is one on sometimes about the roundabout, but we need more, and more scenarios. MORRRE! Until this crappy driving nation is brainwashed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

boreds wrote:
    ...and turn on your lights when your windsreen wipers are on, etc.

Eh? Where's that in the ROTR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Is it not in it? i heard some chap on the radio a few weeks ago harping on about putting your lights on when it's raining. Made sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

boreds wrote:
    Is it not in it? i heard some chap on the radio a few weeks ago harping on about putting your lights on when it's raining. Made sense to me.

Yup especially the front fogs lights, in fact keep them on at all time just encase of freak fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

They should put an ad about merging onto a motorway/dual carriageway. A good time to show it would be during the Late Late Show. Target audience - the slow merging, Almera saloon driving brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BrianD3 wrote:
    They should put an ad about merging onto a motorway/dual carriageway. A good time to show it would be during the Late Late Show. Target audience - the slow merging, Almera saloon driving brigade.

Combine it with an ad for keeping to the left lane unless overtaking also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Unless the sun is splitting the tree's and condition's are very good, I will have my lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

boreds wrote:
    They need to target the audience that never have done their test
    BrianD3 wrote:
    A good time to show it would be during the Late Late Show. Target audience
    Presumably you are referring to the pre driving test brigade. Funny enough, they have the lowest insurance claim costs yet young male know-alls have the highest! ;):D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

tuxy wrote:
    Yup especially the front fogs lights, in fact keep them on at all time just encase of freak fog.
    You'd want to keep them on for at least 2 days after the last batch of fog as well, in case any of it still lingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

An english taxi driver was telling a friend of mine that a car entering a dual carraigeway or motorway has right of way over a car already on the DC or MW driving in the left lane. The car already on the DC has to move over onto the (overtaking:D ) sorry right hand lane to give way. This is apparantly in the English ROTR does anybody know if it's the same here I'm too busy to look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

ciarsd wrote:
    Unless the sun is splitting the tree's and condition's are very good, I will have my lights on.

Not front and rear fogs, I hope :mad:

• Advertisement

endplate wrote:
    An english taxi driver was telling a friend of mine that a car entering a dual carraigeway or motorway has right of way over a car already on the DC or MW driving in the left lane. The car already on the DC has to move over onto the (overtaking:D ) sorry right hand lane to give way. This is apparantly in the English ROTR does anybody know if it's the same here I'm too busy to look it up
    I don't think that's correct. He may be confusing courtesy with rules. In a two lane motorway, what about vehicles which are not permitted to use the right lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

boreds wrote:

It does make sense, but it isn't in the rules of the road. I do what the poster above mentioned, unless it's broad daylight with excellent visiblity and good road conditions, I put the dipped headlights on.

endplate wrote:
    I've just checked The Highway Code:

233. Joining the motorway

"You should give priority to traffic already on the motorway"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

maoleary wrote:
    Not front and rear fogs, I hope :mad:

Who said anything about fogs? I didn't, I talked about 'lights'... as in my headlights and rear lights...if I was talking about 'fogs', I would've stated 'foglights' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

endplate wrote:
    No way. Quite frightening that someone would think this.

This kind of illustrates a point I made in an earlier thread about misplaced courtesy. If "courteous" drivers always move into another lane to let mergers merge, many drivers start to believe that that's the rule. Then you get a situation wher people drive straight out on motorways and cut people up because they think they have priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

BrianD3 wrote:

:( ive just been considerin buying an almera!! Hatch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

endplate wrote:
    Taxi driver, 'nuff said, regardless of his nationality :) Oh and BTW there's no such thing as the 'English' ROTR .. it's called the Highway Code for a start and it applies to the whole of the UK, not just England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

BrianD3 wrote:

So true ! :)

I think they should a dedicated TV channel, the setup cost would be minimal, it doesn't have to show anything "commercial" it could be a 24 hour loop or TV shows on instructional driving. Covering the rules of the road front to back over and over, in car cameras etc..

TK

You all haven't beeen paying attention! There has been a TV ad on merging that was shown a few times about 6-12 months ago. Only thing is though that it's all painfully artificial, with virtually no cars on the main carriageway anyway, and then when the camera does a quick shot of the merger's speedo he's doing a massive 80km/h! :) They have had similar ones on lane discipline, also painfully slow-motion and artificially staged, and one on, wait for it, that immensely difficult piece of roadcraft .. turning right!

I've tried searching for examples of them on the net but to no avaail. Haven't seent hem on TV for a while either.

Alun wrote:
    Oh and BTW there's no such thing as the 'English' ROTR .. it's called the Highway Code for a start and it applies to the whole of the UK, not just England.

Yeah whatever pardon me for my terrible mistake.

But I see nothing wrong with moving to the right hand lane providing I'm not hogging (before the rightious jump in) if I see a car merging that way we don't get in each others way. I find it very ignorant if somebody stays in the left lane and leave no room for somebody to merge when the right lane is clear. Seen it happen and it's been done to me. I know it's courtesy not a 'code'

• Advertisement

endplate wrote:
    I find it very ignorant if somebody stays in the left lane and leave no room for somebody to merge when the right lane is clear. Seen it happen and it's been done to me. I know it's courtesy not a 'code'
    Well put it the other way, if I'm merging, and I've done it properly and matched / adjusted my speed to merge behind / in front of another driver and he then just goes and pulls out into the overtaking lane for no good reason, I think to myself, "What the fcuk did he bother doing that for?". In addition, this being Ireland, he's probably going at at least 10 km/h under the speed limit anyway, so I then have to hang back, or even slow down, waiting for him to move back in to the driving lane before I can get up to speed and pass him. All unnecessary if we'd just done it according to the book in the first place.

And like BrianD3 said, after a while all those people who probably never knew what the real rules were in the first place see this behaviour and start assuming that they have right of way and barge on regardless, even if you actually aren't able to safely move over into the overtaking lane, for reasons that may not be clear to the merging car. It's ultimately his decision as to whether this is safe or not, not the car that's doing the merging.

Give me rules that people actually follow and are enforced over all this so-called 'courtesy' any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

tuxy wrote:
    Combine it with an ad for keeping to the left lane unless overtaking also.

God I wish people would do that, it's not like it's hard!

And they' always so oblivious!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

endplate wrote:
    I find it very ignorant if somebody stays in the left lane and leave no room for somebody to merge when the right lane is clear.

Would you accuse other drivers of being ignorant and discourteous if you had difficulty getting onto a roundabout and they were all correctly obeying the rules?

Both are basic driving maneuvers that a competent driver should be able to perform correctly without having to resort to the charity of other road users.

To answer Alun. What is wrong with getting out of the way? Is it not safer to have as much distance as possible from other motorists.

Phutyle. No don't have problems with ppl using roundabouts correctly. I don't depend on charity on the roads I would be a long time waiting for it in this country if I did

endplate wrote:
    To answer Alun. What is wrong with getting out of the way? Is it not safer to have as much distance as possible from other motorists.
    It's a completely unnecessary manoeuvre if the merging car does it properly and matches his speed. Plus, for the umpteenth time, it sets a dangerous precedent if merging drivers start to 'assume' that other driver will move over for them. You yourself said you found it 'ignorant' if they didn't .. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Were you basing your whole merging strategy on the assumption that he would move over, and had to modify that strategy when it became apparent that he wasn't going to? If so, I'd say that the boot was on the other foot, and it wasn't the guy on the main carriageway that was being 'ignorant' in this instance.

It's bad enough with people being ignorant of the real rules of the road without people making up their own unwritten ones and expecting other drivers to pick these up by osmosis or mind reading.

tell me where is the danger in moving out of the way? I don't assume they will move over that would be plain silly. I just can't see what's wrong with providing your not lane hogging to move over into the right lane as traffic is merging. That way if your faster then the traffic you will overtake them if your slower than them they can speed away and you move back to the left after the slip road

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

endplate wrote:
    tell me where is the danger in moving out of the way? I don't assume they will move over that would be plain silly. I just can't see what's wrong with providing your not lane hogging to move over into the right lane as traffic is merging. That way if your faster then the traffic you will overtake them if your slower than them they can speed away and you move back to the left after the slip road
    I have an issue with people that automatically move ove rot let people merge. It is actually very rarely required. Even then as has been pointed out, with a little bit of acceleration sense from the merger and the cars already on the road, there is hardly ever a need for someone to move over.

Edit to actually answer the question: The danger is you are changing lane. Simple. The action of changing lanes is dangerous in and of itself. Doing it needlessly is increasing your risk of being involved in an incident.

MrP

endplate wrote:
    I give up. There's no danger, it's just totally unnecessary and superfluous and does nothing to increase anyone's safety either if both parties just followed the rules. And at the risk of repeating myself yet again, it would appear that many people seem to think it's somehow obligatory to do so .. behaviour reinforced again and again by their observation of people who pull over unnecessarily.

I've said enough on this, it's beginning to get tedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

a combination of all everyday encounters that frustrates motorists on Irish roads, like the numerous grievances aired here. they could all could be tackled on RTE adbreaks, and hammered into everyones ignorant skulls.

Seriously-why are we a nation of dire drivers?

• Advertisement

In relation to adapting speed to match that of motorway traffic, just bear in mind lads that some vehicles have a legal maximum speed of 65 and 80 kph and therefore would not be able to merge easily with traffic travelling at 120kph. In such instances, it may be appropriate to change lanes if safe to do so.
    Alun wrote:
    it's called the Highway Code for a start and it applies to the whole of the UK, not just England
    Northern Ireland have their own Highway Code. ;)

Advertisement