Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straigening Qualpex.

Options
  • 24-08-2007 8:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have a way of getting Qualpex to straighen out after been rolled up. Using quick fit plumbing fittings so there can be any pull from the pipe not being straight.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just bend it by hand section by section with your hands. It's easier if it's warm. That's how I did it. It tends to hold the shape better once hot water has been run through it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Unfortuantly i'm running it between joices using quick fit fittings which there cannot be any side pull on so it has to be straight going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Would copper better suit your needs?
    Or else oversize the qualplex cut and hope that it pushes into the connector instead of pulling...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think that those pushfit connectors are crap, I have had two instances where the q-pex has moved in the fitting and caused a leak, I recommend using copper compression fittings on any fitting in a wall/hidden
    The first time I had a leak it was over a room that had a trap in the floor and most of the water escaped, the second time I had to cut a hole in the plasterboard and redo the joint then replace the plasterboard and replaster the hole and repaint! IMHO for the small extra cost in time it is far superior to use copper fittings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i recently had to move some rads and when it came to fitting in the q-pex i ran them in 20 ml wavin. it keeps them straight and confined to one area. i had to chase walls and couldnt wait for the plumber to get back before slabbing the walls, but when the plumber did get back to me all he had to do was send the q-pex trough the wavin and then do his joints. this is not practical if you have a lot of bends or tees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I have only ever had problems with the pushfit connections when I forget an insert..other than that the main reason they leak is that the end of the pipe is not cut square or is cut with a hacksaw or something.

Qualpex must be cut by a proper pipe cutting tool imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

if you have mice or in the future you get a visit from a rat they punchure the qualpex to get at the water -with copper pipe they sharpen there teeth on it but cant chew thru like qualpex-if its in an unexposed area you are better off using copper pipes less headaches for the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Don't use qualpex on heating systems ,if the boiler hasn't got a flow switch.

Using quickfit for the attic as its quite a lot of plumbing, fitting shower pump, shower and new tank while moving the pipes to the eves, used compresson fittings in the walls and to the actual fittings in the bathroom. do you this this should be ok, used a wall paper steamer to straighten qualpex. Do you think that much quickfit in the attic should be ok ? Every joint is literally a perfect 90 degree connection with no pull on it. Thanks

I think them fittings are fine ,I wouldn't use them on heating systems though.

• Advertisement

Hi Brian,

Why wouldnt you use them on a heating system without a flowswitch, can you more specific.

Thanks
    Neil

I wouldn't use tectite on a heating system ,because of the excessive heat and the nature of the fittings and how they work.

Qualpex piping is only supposed to be used on sealed heating systems ,when there is a flow switch device fitted. Lowering the maximum temperature etc.
    I never use qualpex on heating systems .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

dont forget it has to be barrier pex aswell as the standard stuff is no good for hot water

I have storage heating, i assume it is ok to use qualpex for your hot water after the 1 meter of copper from the immersion. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Probably too late for ya but you can get Qualpex in lengths rather than coils.

Advertisement