Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother Theresa Atheist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'd consider her particular religious beliefs to be quite dangerous.

Didn't she believe that poverty was a way of praising god? She never had any intent on removing people from the poverty trap and was quite happy with the status quo.

I think it was more along the lines of suffering in general being a way of praising god. There was some criticism about how her compassion for the poor didn't actually involve easing the pain of the ill and dying.

I think Sam Harris wrote something about it, tho I could be wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Here's Christopher Hitchens and Bill Donohue discussing the latest Mother Theresa revelations:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Good vid post, pH.

What's all this Englishman has to let an Irishman speak rubbish? He's no more Irish than, say, Mother Teresa.

Whatever about his writing I'm impressed with Hitchens' relaxed style. If only Dawkins could get his arguments across that way without getting all hot under the collar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

hmmm... relaxed? Hitchens seemed, er, half-asleep to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I think we need a new "A&A forum Law" - No thread is complete without something from Jesus & Mo :)

"She wasn't an atheist - she believed in God ...
    ... She just didn't think he existed

http://www.jesusandmo.net/2007/09/05/canon/

• Advertisement
Advertisement