Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wierd NTL broadband wireless problem

• 24-08-2007 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I have NTL broadband. When it works it works perfectly. We had no problems for about 4 months now but the problems are coming back. Sometimes the wireless network still works but we lose the internet. Then after a while you cannot even access the wireless network.

We had this problem ages ago where we had to reset the router. Then for a few months we had no problems what so ever. Only recently when my new house mate moved in we are getting wireless problems again which requires us resetting the router. My new housemate had a dell laptop and I wonder is it that that could be "breaking" the connection somehow? I recently got a new laptop and even if the new housemate is not there my laptop also "breaks" the connection. The network would usually "break" when booting up a laptop.

To get the network to work again we have to turn off all the laptops and reset the router. I have to start my desktop and once that gets a connection we can start our laptops. If I don't start the desktop usually we cannot access the network using just the laptops. When the connection works I can turn off my desktop.

Anyone know what this wierd problem could be? Anyone experienced it before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

you need to supply more details: make and model of router, of pc, of laptop. What settings does the router have? DHCP enabled? WEP? WPA? Who is the desktop connected? Ethernet? Wireless? etc.

We're not mind readers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

had same problem with the signal dropping from NTL. The same thing happens that it comes and goes. Its ok now but happens now and again. Get NTL to come out and check the signal levels as that was the problem in my case.

If the signal is poor then they will replace the NTL box outside the house and that should fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Thanks guys,

My house mate has been away until today and he has the router locked in his room. (To reset it I had to switch off all the power sockets)

The network is wireless. All the computers are only connected by wireless.

Anyway my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400. My desktop is an old Dell with a Belkin wireless 54MBS wireless card.
    Network Authentication: WPA-PSK
    Data encription: TKIP
    We use a network key.

I'll get wireless router info after work

Thanks

Advertisement