Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time (conne)marathoner looking for running partners in Dublin

• 24-08-2007 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

I set myself the goal to run the Connemarathon and are just about to start the training.
    I am a total absolut beginner and look for like-minded people from the Dublin (south) area.

Everybody I know and talk to about running the marathon
    thinks I'm nuts so no hope here to finding training/running partners. :-)

This can have any sort of shape from doing training together
    every week to meeting up once every 1 or 2 weeks to run a longer distance.

Please reply in this forum or send an email to myself ( iohn@mail.com )
    if you are interested or even if you know any links /clubs etc. that can help

Thanks
    Johannes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

hi best of luck with the training... just entered the connemarathon myself the other day! Great race, only did the half this year due to injury but can't wait for next year.

Not living in Dublin so not available for training but just wanted to mention that it might be worth saying what your normal pace is for when you train. I'm quite a slow runner (av. 10 min/mile at the moment) so I wouldn't be a suitable training partner for someone who has a pace of 7/8 min mile as I'd just hold them up and they'd get sick of waiting for me.

Good luck with the search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Iohn

Thanks for your reply HardyEustace!

As I'm a real beginner I wouldn't even know my pace, but from what I remember from my school days I'd say I propably fall under category slow. :)

I'd say my pace is 11 or 12 mins/mile at the moment, but don't quote me on it -could me more or less. I will update as soon as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Iohn wrote:
    I set myself the goal to run the Connemarathon

Everybody I know and talk to about running the marathon
    thinks I'm nuts

I'm guessing they're all non-runners?

Nevermind them.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them want to run a marathon themselves after hearing your stories about the experience come next April.

Not in Dublin myself so can't join you for training but best of luck. And if you need encouragement or tips you'll find plenty here....

Thanks Clum.
    I'll take it as an encouragement to show them it can be done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fdelahunty

Best of Luck I am actually looking for people to train with in Galway!!! Sof if anyone knows anyone in the the Galway/Oranmore area please let me know:) Very hard to stay motivated on my own. Please e-mail fdelahunty@gmail.com thanks!!

• Advertisement

Is that to train for the Connemarathon or the Dublin marathon?

And whats your normal pace?

and do you know that Harriers do a run on Monday evenings from Renmore church at seven? I think it's about 8 miles at an 8 min/mile but could be wrong. I stand to be corrected...

Hi
    i'm training for the Coonemarathon and i'm not sure about my pace yet -but I'd say its quite slow for the moment anyway... (~10min/mile)

Who is "Harriers" ?

Advertisement