Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Utd Thread

Options
  • 24-08-2007 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

Anyone read any team news yet ? Nothing on the site...any word on Daws fitness ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Having read the team news at http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/teamnews240807.html

and assuming berb, bent and kaboul miss out..the team could look like this, what do we think ?

Robbo, Chimbonda,Lee,Rocha,Gardner, Jenas,Zokora (i have a feeling he wont play Hudd on such a big pitch),Malbranque,Tainio,Keane,Defoe !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I think we're ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

I think we're ****ed.

I second that motion....but hey COYS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The Lilywhite

Hi Lads got a text last night in regards to the team, they reckon Bale could start, Bent is a doubt, Tainio and Berbs are possibilities, not looking good but I'd take a draw but COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Thought we played well - missed 2 great chances and what was a penalty for me - ignoring the fat former git from Villa.

The best part for me was Bale who looked way more mature than 18 and has lots of energy and pace. His free kick for Rocha is just the kind of delivery we missed along.

No shortage of guts or genius (Berbatov) - next few games becoming very important if we are to fight our way back into the european scene.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The Lilywhite

Hi Lads, I only saw the last 20 minutes of the game, thought we played well but lacked creativity up front in the bit I saw, saw a replay of the penalty incident and to be honest you very rarely get a peno at OT, I believe Bale had a good game and he looks a good prospect, can't understand why BMJ brings Zokora on at right back, btw Sky Sports showed a shot of Daniel Levy and his henchmen, it was interesting looked like the cast from "Goodfellas".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Bitterly disappointed with that performance against a well-beatable weakened Man U.....such a long way from Spurs' tradition-Manure's annual whipping boys.I couldn't believe after such a bright start that YET AGAIN we sat back and a lot of the time from the fifth minute on we had 11 players in our half.Pragmatism away against the Champions?I thought it was SPINELESS stuff considering the available talent and our tradition of attacking football and appalling to watch.
    Other than a period at the very start and briefly during the second half was there any sustained threat.I couldn't count more than 5 or 6 consecutive passes and most moves fizzled out with some hurried pass off balance, unsuccessful flicks,intricate triangles going nowhere on touchline or hopeful punts up to Berbatov in the hope he'll do something.....it's been like this for the past couple of years if I'm honest.There is no STRUCTURE to our game,no composed sweeping moves.....Nobody appears on the same wavelength.I'll shed no tears if Jol departs next summer-consecutive fifth places above Everton/Bolton etc. and all that.He's been there there 2 years and he evidently still hasn't established a system......this is particularly evident when playing the big 4.It's a beautiful game when played well but it's so frustrating when you see talent misused and the sheer enjoyment is going.
    POSITIVES.....Bale-at last we have a left-back....brave,surprisingly pacy and direct....Chimbonda-consistently excellent other than the odd lapse....the only guy with a bit of balls/madness in the team....Taarabt-the last of the dribblers.....get him on the left wing-isolate him against full backs and see what the guy can do.
    NEGATIVES.....Robbie Keane-the usual mystery....a stunning lob off the crossbar and then a frustrating...no,maddeningly self-indulgent performance.Has Jol pemitted him this free-role....strolling around midfield aimlessly so that there's no options upfront......Berbatov-I'm beginning to think that languid style of last season is being replaced by an I-don't-want-to-be-here attitude.I'll grant that he makes runs had a stunning shot but do you think he's REALLY trying his hardest at the moment?I also hate seeing players berating officials as if they'll change their mind-there's a definite element of showboating for the fans.....Huddlestone.....after Derby 4-0 I had such hopes he could do his talent justice (whatever that means) but never exerted any consistent control on midfield......Jenas was Jenas-mediocre but the bollix will probably score against Fulham......Malbranque-like Huddlestone a player I like and I'm rooting for but it ain't happening.
    I've no doubt there'll be hard luck stories all over the net and the papers but there's no way I'm going along with the line that that was a good perfomance in the Spurs tradition of attacking football.More to come against the big 4.....please prove me wrong and let this be a case of early-season jitters in a relatively youthful unfamiliar squad weakened by crucial injuries.....but i fear the malaise goes much deeper.

Caught the whole game and all things considered I wasn't too unhappy. I thought our defence considering the injuries was superb. I was sh1ttin myself when I realised it would be Gardner and Rocha at CB but I thought they put in the performance of the game when the only thing they didn'y close down was the goal. I had expected them to get ripped apart. Rocha has really proven himself in my eyes (except for goalscoring opportunities) as a capable CB.

Bale seemed to do well at LW considering I thought he would fall flat on his face. When we did get the ball forward we...erm...Berbatov was the only one who looked like scoring and got by VDS twice with grace on a loose ball. Forced united to clear the line twice and RK shot of the cross bar. We looked most likely to score even though united had most of the possession.

People have to remember though it was a weakened united team it was only in their attacking options. Brown is more than capable of covering for Gary Neville and would hardly be considered a weak link any more than Rocha and Gardner. I will be excited to get Lennon back and give KP Boatang a run in midfield who might bring the bite we were missing from a poor Huddlestone and mediocre JJ.

Overall I thought it was a very good performance. It was a game we probably should have won, but if you dont take your chances, thats what happens at the top level. Rocha's header was easier to miss than score.
    Bale was a huge plus. Id stick with him on the left with Lee behind him for the moment, at least he brings some much needed balance to the side.

6 points needed from fulham and arsenal now, easy eh..

Hatch99 wrote:
    Overall I thought it was a very good performance. It was a game we probably should have won, but if you dont take your chances, thats what happens at the top level. Rocha's header was easier to miss than score.
    Bale was a huge plus. Id stick with him on the left with Lee behind him for the moment, at least he brings some much needed balance to the side.

6 points needed from fulham and arsenal now, easy eh..

I actually fancy our chances against the arse. Certainly don't look like an unbeatable force and Fulham should be a handy number.

• Advertisement

A win next sat would set up the derby nicely. We should maybe let Fulham go a goal ahead and then we should win :-)

Advertisement