Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one for the girls !

Options
  • 24-08-2007 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hi im pretty new to cycling and joined this site in the hope of getting loads of tips from other female cyclists ..but as yet i havnt seen any !

where are the girls ?? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Out shopping for shoes most likely (fashionable shoes that is, not cycling shoes :) )

There's a stronger female presence on this cycling board: http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hellbell123

tut..shoes !!

im due to try out my new clip in shoes tomorrow funnily enough ..any usefull advice on getting the most out of them (and also how not to fall off while clipped in) :o

i will have a look at that site..cheers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

In cars, and jogging. I only see a few women on bikes commuting. I see more women jogging than men though. I always think this is odd,I thought women would favour cycling over jogging for exercise- to save the impact on the boobs.

Still learning how to get the most out of clipless myself. What I've found so far is that you have to make a concious effort to learn to pull up. On the occasions where I had started to climb and then remembered to pull up the difference in speed is certainly noticable.

Most people who use clipless report having fallen over at some stage. I've avoided it myself so far, but having said that I'll probably drop sideways on my next outing :) I imagine that once you've experienced the embarressment of falling over you're much more likely to remember to unclip.

The only advice I'd give is not to leave it to the last moment to unclip, on occasions this will result in having to clip in again without having to put your foot down due to that light that went green at the last moment, but I'd say that's better than risking a sideways tumble.

i cant really comment there as i have never jogged :rolleyes: ..but its true i rarely see women cyclists when im out.. i really thought there would be more women here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

Easiest way of getting out of clipless I find is twisting my heel outwards.

Membrane wrote:
    Most people who use clipless report having fallen over at some stage. I've avoided it myself so far, but having said that I'll probably drop sideways on my next outing :) I imagine that once you've experienced the embarressment of falling over you're much more likely to remember to unclip.

i did a fair bit of falling in the back garden whilst practising clipping in and out (funny for the neighbours but not so for me) ..in saying that im looking forward to trying them out for real ..:)

Junior wrote:
    Easiest way of getting out of clipless I find is twisting my heel outwards.

i assumed that was the standard way of doing it ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Membrane wrote:
    Still learning how to get the most out of clipless myself. What I've found so far is that you have to make a concious effort to learn to pull up. On the occasions where I had started to climb and then remembered to pull up the difference in speed is certainly noticable.

A good way to learn to pedal properly is to try it with one foot unclipped (take it off the pedal completely). That way you are forced to do the full rotation with your clipped foot. Try 15 strokes with each foot once every ride (making sure to push/pull smoothly for the entire stroke). Your legs will then remember how to do a full pedal stroke

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Membrane wrote:
    The only advice I'd give is not to leave it to the last moment to unclip, on occasions this will result in having to clip in again without having to put your foot down due to that light that went green at the last moment, but I'd say that's better than risking a sideways tumble.
    I'll second the early unclip advice. I will also unclip if as I approach situations where a sharp brake will be necessary. I did fall sideways twice when I got the pedals and shoes, both when I stopped at home. Never again.

Clipless pedals are fantastic. I used to have toeclips and was constantly being thrown out of them by Dublin's potholes. No longer. By now I've forgotten how to use flat pedals :p

• Advertisement

i did a fair bit of falling in the back garden whilst practising clipping in and out (funny for the neighbours but not so for me) ..in saying that im looking forward to trying them out for real ..:)

One more tip if you are using SPD pedals, mine were preset so that it was difficult to clip in and out, I adjusted them to their easiest setting bar one stop, this made them much easier to get in and out of, and sofar they haven't let go when they were not supposed to. I think that the factory setting is aimed at preventing being sued for unwanted unclipping. I think that most riders who use SPDs set them to an easy setting.

Please ignore the above if you are using another system than SPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They are out there, but sometimes its hard to spot them with all the shaved legs about. ;) I think a big difference arises in teenage years where guys learn that bikes are a means of exploring / getting to do things beyond your own area that girls don't. In fact, more girls drive themselves to school than cycle to school.
    hi im pretty new to cycling and joined this site in the hope of getting loads of tips from other female cyclists ..but as yet i havnt seen any !
    I'm not sure if there are many tips that are different. Although, in city cycling, if you have long hair, let it down. Motorists give people with long hair more space.

Clothing, posture and lack of use of gearrs are some thing that marks out a difference between a more competitive cyclist (male or female) and a "get me home"-type cyclist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

Victor wrote:
    I'm not sure if there are many tips that are different. Although, in city cycling, if you have long hair, let it down. Motorists give people with long hair more space.
    QUOTE]

Speaking as a female cyclist (commuter cyclist, not seriously cyclist), I couldn't cycle with my hair down. Your hair gets in the way when trying to look over your shoulder to see what's coming behind you... and then of course there's sweaty neck syndrome when the weather is hot!!

My only tip is, try and avoid skirts that blow in the wind - too much hassle!

Oh and baskets or pannier bags (sp?!) rock.. Anything is better than sweaty back due to rucksack syndrome!

Membrane wrote:
    One more tip if you are using SPD pedals, mine were preset so that it was difficult to clip in and out, I adjusted them to their easiest setting bar one stop, this made them much easier to get in and out of, and sofar they haven't let go when they were not supposed to. I think that the factory setting is aimed at preventing being sued for unwanted unclipping. I think that most riders who use SPDs set them to an easy setting.

Please ignore the above if you are using another system than SPD.

have just run upstairs to check and yes they are spd..i honestly havnt a clue about setting them but will get the bf to have a look later ..

thanks for the advice will defo keep it all in mind when im out tomorrow :)

hot fuss wrote:
    Speaking as a female cyclist (commuter cyclist, not seriously cyclist), I couldn't cycle with my hair down. Your hair gets in the way when trying to look over your shoulder to see what's coming behind you... and then of course there's sweaty neck syndrome when the weather is hot!!

My only tip is, try and avoid skirts that blow in the wind - too much hassle!

Oh and baskets or pannier bags (sp?!) rock.. Anything is better than sweaty back due to rucksack syndrome!

ahhh yes now im getting seriously sick of my rucksack for that reason but dont want to resort to a basket or panniers ..would prefer a bag that goes under the saddle but big enough to hold the essentials..

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

Hellbell - I just started seriously cycling this year (and I'm a girl). I basically borrowed my brother in law's very expensive Specialized bike and away I went. Luckily the frame is a good size for me (54" but I'm 5'7").

I go out with a group of other women every Saturday morning and we do about 25-30 miles. Hoping to build on that and work up to a century.

I haven't gone clipless yet but I definitely will once I break down and buy my own bike, which will probably be a Specialized too although I'm open to suggestions.

Hellbell - I just started seriously cycling this year (and I'm a girl). I basically borrowed my brother in law's very expensive Specialized bike and away I went. Luckily the frame is a good size for me (54" but I'm 5'7").

I go out with a group of other women every Saturday morning and we do about 25-30 miles. Hoping to build on that and work up to a century.

I haven't gone clipless yet but I definitely will once I break down and buy my own bike, which will probably be a Specialized too although I'm open to suggestions.

hi there ..i stated out 2 years ago really with a mountain bike but had to stop fairly quickly after i found i was pregnant..took it up again this year also but got a lovely new bike (kona dew) im really loving it at the moment..needless to say the mountain bike doesnt get out much now :)

its great that you have a group to go with..im also doing about 35miles on saturdays and normally end up dragging my less than keen sister out of bed
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ahhh yes now im getting seriously sick of my rucksack for that reason but dont want to resort to a basket or panniers ..would prefer a bag that goes under the saddle but big enough to hold the essentials..
    I changed to Berghaus Freeflow 20 litre. It raises a good chunk of the back off your back via an arch in the backpack. The site also has user reviews.
    The current model is better with ventilation in the straps too. I think it is about 65 euro.
    I use it while jogging too. I'm very happy with this backpack.

I can take photos of the arch later if anyone wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

hi there ..i stated out 2 years ago really with a mountain bike but had to stop fairly quickly after i found i was pregnant..took it up again this year also but got a lovely new bike (kona dew) im really loving it at the moment..needless to say the mountain bike doesnt get out much now :)

its great that you have a group to go with..im also doing about 35miles on saturdays and normally end up dragging my less than keen sister out of bed
    :p

So who's minding the child while you're out not shopping for shoes...?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Me too. I have started taking just a tiny bumbag when I don't need much stuff like the laptop, breakfast cereal etc - it's just big enough to take my tshirt/boxers/socks to change after a shower, and I can leave my towel, couple pairs of trousers etc in a locker in work, so that's handy.
    I was thinking of looking at one of these though as an alternative to a rack (clicky links too):
    14342.jpg
    but it hasn't got great reviews. I just think I'd prefer something like this for my bike, rather than full racks.
    There's also this option which I think is a fantastic idea in theory, but again I wonder if it's any good in practice:
    12258.jpg
    Anyone else seen this around and how well it works??

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote:
    I changed to Berghaus Freeflow 20 litre. It raises a good chunk of the back off your back via an arch in the backpack. The site also has user reviews.
    The current model is better with ventilation in the straps too. I think it is about 65 euro.
    I use it while jogging too. I'm very happy with this backpack.

I can take photos of the arch later if anyone wants.

nice looking bag but a bit on the big side for my needs (i could nearly fit the child in there:) )

milod wrote:
    So who's minding the child while you're out not shopping for shoes...?! :D

well his dad does ..he also watches the other 2 while i spend ages not shopping for shoes :p i do the same for him though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ashj

*sticks hand up*
    I'm a gurl
    I'm usually out cycling, not posting :P (reply to this with stickie notes at traffic lights, or little messages spelt in the broken glass on the cycle lanes)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm another female cyclist.

I can't remember where I read it but at the time I remember believing the research that yes, having blonde long hair is a good safety feature on the bike. I tend to put mine in a long plait which hangs down below my helmet.

I practised cliping in and out of my pedals by sitting in a doorframe but I would certainly second the advice to unclip early.

There are a couple of female only groups that go out. I know the guys in cycleways often give me the details for people.

Don't get too hung up on looking for female specific advice. Almost every time I go out for a group cycle it's me and a group of lads. I do give them a hard time when they have to draft off me to get to the tops of some of the longer climbs we do but otherwise gender isn't an issue.

Almost every time I go out for a group cycle it's me and a group of lads. I do give them a hard time when they have to draft off me to get to the tops of some of the longer climbs we do but otherwise gender isn't an issue.

:eek:

Given that there is no draft to speak of when climbing, are you sure it is that why they are stuck on your rear wheel? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol!

SPANDEX!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

When you come to a stop clip out both feet. Nothing worse than having one foot on the ground, then toppling slowly in the opposite direction with the other foot still clipped in. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

lots of girls over here: www.epicmtb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, there's no shortage of ladies on the road. See the odd lady lycra-rider too, they get very competitve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The_B_Man wrote:
    lol! SPANDEX!!
    Do you know how hard it is to cycle uphill in a an excited state? :eek:

Advertisement