Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one for the girls !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm sure it's hard ::drumroll::
    Maybe female cyclists do have a competitve advantage in that regard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

I'm here! *wave*

I don't get my new bike till next week, but plan to be riding then. Bit nervous about riding around here, but will probably go to Phoenix Park during the week to ride and weekends ride down the N11 early Sat/Sun morning with my hubby.

I frequent Team Estrogen site for good female info re cycling - its a worldwide site with lots of departments including different locations in the world.

Keen to hear more about the women's cycling groups and finding some good spots to ride. have done tris and ridden for years back home.

Cleats are the way to go and easy once you practice a bit

Ok and I'm competitive! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

have just run upstairs to check and yes they are spd..i honestly havnt a clue about setting them but will get the bf to have a look later ..

thanks for the advice will defo keep it all in mind when im out tomorrow :)

I would say you're better off figuring out how the pedals work yourself - it's not that hard at all. I think it's important to understand how the equipment you're using works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hellbell123

penexpers wrote:
    I would say you're better off figuring out how the pedals work yourself - it's not that hard at all. I think it's important to understand how the equipment you're using works.

true ..and thats what i did 2..went out saturday and did my usual 30+ miles and everything went fine ! dont know what i was worried about now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

ozchick wrote:
    Phoenix Park during the week to ride and weekends ride down the N11 early Sat/Sun morning with my hubby.
    Rather than the N11, while still going in the same general direction, you have a few better options: out along the coast via Dun Laoghaire to Dalkey (for an easy flat ride), out to Eniskerry via the scalp for a gentle ascent and still a quite flat ride, or alternatively up the mountains! Up to Johnny Foxes, Military Road to Glencree, Sally Gap, Laragh etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol Phoenix park to ride? ill keep me mouth shut...

The_B_Man wrote:
    lol Phoenix park to ride? ill keep me mouth shut...

And well you should!!

I'm new here and ain't gunna risk riding alone during the day in a town I don't know and likely to get lost in. I'm looking at building up riding fitness again before I learn some safer places to ride. That is why I joined this site - for help!

Thanks blorg for your help. Will look into it.

At home we had a wonderful coastal road, 2 lanes, one for cyclists that would often see 1500 cyclists out of a weekend (and we wore helmets:p ) and could ride for up to 160km round trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

ozchick wrote:
    And well you should!!

I'm new here and ain't gunna risk riding alone during the day .
    I don't think thats what he meant. :)

You haven't got short black hair by any chance? Often see an ozzy girlie cycling in the park on a racer, fully kitted out in the lycra and jersey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote:
    Do you know how hard it is to cycle uphill in a an excited state? :eek:
    "Thanks for giving me a crossbar, I thought you had a ladies bike"

"it is"

":eek:"

No clown bag, don't have the bike yet (cept mine back home!) so haven't been riding yet. Hope to get it this week, but will be back home in Oz for six weeks soon. Probably get back when it's getting rather chilly! Don't have dark hair and you wouldn't know I'm an Aussie till I talk - don't wear Aussie gear.

And I gathered he was mocking anyone who ride is such a small/limited location? So will just be riding there till I get my bearings around this town or find someone to ride with. At least I can run around my neighourhood and not get lost now!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

It was actually her cursing at herself loudly pushing herself up a hill that sounded ozzy or kiwi. I use the park myself for cycling due to the **** traffic in the city. It's grand for lapping during the week for an hour or two at off peak times.

A lot of people ride in the phoenix park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you are looking for bike path routes starting in or around the city centre, Clontarf to Sutton is a good length (10k or so of bike path) and you can do a circuit of Howth Head at the end for a bit of a climb (steep the village side, longer the other side.)

Out to Lucan/Leixlip by the Strawberry beds can be another nice cycle on a small road with a bit of undulation at the start, although I haven't done this in a while.

What is your focus- avoiding traffic, traffic lights, fast, flat, climbs or what? Where are you starting from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 noieralc

Another girly cyclist here (Although I'm down in the Southeast - this board seems to presume evryone is inside the Pale!!)
    I took up cycling about 6 months ago and do over 100 miles a week now, I'm loving it.
    I go out in all the gear...and there are so few women out on the roads that all the fellas love meeting me. Of course I tell myself it's cos I'm such a good cyclist that they want to try keep up with me...but I guess if I'm honest they tail behind me cos of the lycra sights:D

Now, what kind of unchivilrous man tails in a lady's slipstream. Surely it should be the other way around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cyclinglucan

Contact the Cycling ireland Women's Commission - they run events and spins for all levels of women's cycling

www.cyclinglucan.com

Just thought I would keep this thread ticking along!

Got my Specialized Ruby on the weekend - couldn't get out Sunday for a ride :( but today headed over to Phoenix Park. It was my first real drive in Dublin too, only took a wrong turn once!! That park is like a major highway in the middle! Couldn't believe the tourist buses!

Anyway, started on the bike path (yeah, bit wussy, I know, just to get the feel of the bike and its handling) and eventually found some other roads to venture onto. Found the Keo cleats so much better than my old heavy Looks. Also found the seat a bit more uncomfortable than my Selle Italia Lady Gel

Anyone have a standard loop they do, best time to ride (this was about 11am today) The Garda on bikes were nice and friendly. Shame I fly home for 6 weeks this weekend and have to leave her behind - back to the old bike for 6 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I have a standard loop I do in the park most weekdays -from the City centre end straight up the main road, take a right at the last roundabout and circle down that side of the park, follow the road back over the main one, and loop round the far side of the park, then back down the centre road to Park Gate st. 10.5 miles a circuit -repeat as many times as you need!

I've not explained it the best, but the route is available here -I'm lovin this mashup at the moment.

I tend to go about 6, and the traffic isn't that bad, and there's cycle lanes most of the way round. It's a pretty easy ride, but there's some climbing, some downhill, and it's pretty pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

That's a real nice route. Best to stay on the road, though, instead of the cycle path as the latter is usually littered with iPodestrians.
    I have a standard loop I do in the park most weekdays -from the City centre end straight up the main road, take a right at the last roundabout and circle down that side of the park, follow the road back over the main one, and loop round the far side of the park, then back down the centre road to Park Gate st. 10.5 miles a circuit -repeat as many times as you need!

I've not explained it the best, but the route is available here -I'm lovin this mashup at the moment.

I tend to go about 6, and the traffic isn't that bad, and there's cycle lanes most of the way round. It's a pretty easy ride, but there's some climbing, some downhill, and it's pretty pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

iPodestrians.
    LOL :D

Thanks for that Tiny! I will check it out. I'm back in Oz now for 6 weeks, bit hard to leave Ruby in Dublin, but I have another bike here to ride on, just had to bring my helmet back. Weather here has been divine Spring! Not looking forward to the decline in daylight when I get back in mid October! Oh well, that's life I guess.

Ipodestrians! I LOVE it too!!:D There weren't many though the day I was out and I just yelled 'coming thru' which I do back here.

BTW, is there a general rule in Ireland on which side of the path to walk? I find it od cos in Australia people walk on the left, but I often find myself doing the 'left/right shuffle dance' thing when coming face to face with people who walk up the middle of the footpath? Just interested.

Also found guys swimming up the right side of the pool and back up the left - eventually I asked why, you drive on the left side of the road, so why not left side of the pool/footpath kinda thing:confused: Maybe they were just social swimmers, not use club swims etc

Hope you guys get some nice weather!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

iPodestrians.

I'm liking this too, is this yours ghost?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ozchick wrote:
    BTW, is there a general rule in Ireland on which side of the path to walk?
    We walk on the top side. ;)

If there is no path, you should walk facing traffic. Where there are paths, the person facing traffic should be nearest the kerb (because they know more easily when to move in), but the is no rule.

Also found guys swimming up the right side of the pool and back up the left - eventually I asked why, you drive on the left side of the road, so why not left side of the pool/footpath kinda thing:confused: Maybe they were just social swimmers, not use club swims etc
    In a lane swim, there will be protocol on which way to swim. In open swims, anything goes.

I thought so but I've just looked Googled it and it looks as if someone else came up with too. Deeply disappointing.
    copacetic wrote:
    I'm liking this too, is this yours ghost?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I thought so but I've just looked Googled it and it looks as if someone else came up with too. Deeply disappointing.

yeah, I googled it too, still boards was on the front page at least!

Hoo hah!
    copacetic wrote:
    yeah, I googled it too, still boards was on the front page at least!

ozchick wrote:
    BTW, is there a general rule in Ireland on which side of the path to walk? I find it od cos in Australia people walk on the left, but I often find myself doing the 'left/right shuffle dance' thing when coming face to face with people who walk up the middle of the footpath? Just interested.
    Probably not in the town. In the country, people walk on the side of the road facing the traffic, but cross to the other side temporarily if this means walking the inside of a corner.
    In lane swimming there is no "side of the pool" here - not in the ones I've used anyway. The lanes alternate, each lane is the reverse of its two neighbours. So the most lefthand lane is up on left, down on right. Then the next lane to this will be down on left, up on right, so that the two groups going down are beside each other. Makes sense?

Well I understand what you are saying, but it doesnt 'make sense' in a logical kinda confusing, but I will keep it in mind, or just swim when no one else is around! Thanks :)

Advertisement