Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medal of Honour - Airbourne Assult PC

Options
  • 24-08-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Did anyone try the demo ?
    I tried it out last night....the most amazing character animation i've ever seen but it's still the same old same old...AI was rubbish again and very sluggish on the mouse too for aiming but I'm sure I can speed that up somewhere.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

its out in 2weeks time.....after reading what you wrote there,i think i'll wait a while before i get this and see what other people think of it first

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I loved the demo. It has it's problems (the smoke for explosions looked like 2d sprites), but the non-linear style of the level was pretty cool. I loved the fact that you can parachute onto the roofs and run around them (I'm easily amused). And the fact that you can upgrade your weapons is pretty cool.

As I said, it has it's problems. As I said, upgrading weapons is cool, but sometimes they were awarded for doing weird things eg I got the first marksman award for sniping a soldier on a balcony from behind cover and while moving. I got the second one when a guy jumped out in frontof me, tried to hit me and I shot him, point blank, in the chest. Hardly a marksmans shot.

Another was the award you get for parachuting into the church tower. If you land anywhere and just run up to the top of the tower, you get the award also. I assume (and hope) that little things like these will be fixed by release.

But all in all, it's a lot of fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

It might be fun but is it any different from the original ? other than starting where you land I though it was too much of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well the last MOH game I played was the Pacific one, which was dire. This is pretty good. The fire fights are fairly furious and the fact that (apparently, in the full version) you can gain and lose ground, makes it more strategic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

humanji wrote:
    you can gain and lose ground, makes it more strategic.

that would certainly make it more interesting....for me anyway :) i think i'll go and read up on the game now and then decide whether im going to get it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Was pleasantly surprised with this, although i didn't have high hope for it in the first place.... Still has that MOH feel to it and the weapon upgrades are a nice touch yeah, they are awarded with the amount you use the weapon and not your shooting skillz, i didn't like the movement of the character so much tho....felt like your ice-skating around the map :S

Tiz worth checking out before you dismiss it.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

At first I had same feelings as other though i did like opening briefing scene (except the fact you can't skip it if you start again). AI was fairly poor but then you gotta remeber they are only the Italians not the uber SS :)

Found an AI unlocker for the demo which put all enemies to high level Germans who move better and now throw grenades so gives better feel to the game espec on expert mode. You can also unlock the other weapons including sniper rile.
    As a test I landed on roof of the main house and ran down the stairs into a room followed by 3 grenades and about 10 soldiers which I somehow survived, only to be killed by another who had ran up behind and hit me in the head with his gun! I went back later a knifed him in the back so revenge was mine :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

I went back later a knifed him in the back so revenge was mine :D)

lol i think those italians tought you some italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

humanji wrote:
    I loved the demo. It has it's problems (the smoke for explosions looked like 2d sprites), but the non-linear style of the level was pretty cool. I loved the fact that you can parachute onto the roofs and run around them (I'm easily amused). And the fact that you can upgrade your weapons is pretty cool.

Another was the award you get for parachuting into the church tower. If you land anywhere and just run up to the top of the tower, you get the award also. I assume (and hope) that little things like these will be fixed by release.

But all in all, it's a lot of fun. :)

Odd, PC Gamer's review in the new edition said that you didn't get the award if you walked in - you have to parachute. so look like it is fixed in the full game.

One criticism was that one you get of of the landing site area, it's a bit linear. And often you've to fight a fair distance linearly to reach your target.

But overall impression was good, got 86%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

The airbourne ultimatum is a great film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

MOH wrote:
    Odd, PC Gamer's review in the new edition said that you didn't get the award if you walked in - you have to parachute. so look like it is fixed in the full game.

One criticism was that one you get of of the landing site area, it's a bit linear. And often you've to fight a fair distance linearly to reach your target.

But overall impression was good, got 86%.

Well they had to fix that parachute award thing as I found 3-4 awards by just walking around the map though they would require good flying to grab. From the vids I've seen espec that trench fight map the level look fairly open ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Just bring on the Multiplayer :)
    Been playing MOH:AA for the past 3-4 years....so finally get something new :D as all the subsequent MOH's were crap :eek:

Also...3 of the 6 multiplayer maps are from the original MOHAA :D:D:) , hunt, remagen and Destroyed Village

what are the spec like for this?is it hardware hungry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

is this out on friday ?

yup.tis out tomorrow,i'll probbly get it id say :)

well got this today,and my god is it taking ages to install,started at 7 and its still installing :confused: great I wonder will i ever get to play it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Erm... there's something seriously wrong going on there...
    Unless the game is downloading content off the internet, there's no reason that the installation should take that long. Should only take 15-20 mins tops for any game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You have a problem somewhere if it is taking 2 and a half hours to install. I've never encountered a game (Bar my old Atari 130XE) that took longer than 5/ 10 minutes to install.

My advice would be to stop the installation. Delete all files pertaining to the game. Start again.

its installed now anyway :confused: alot of the new games i got recently took a long time to install:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Finished there in in about 4-5 hours in one sitting, it isn't too hard ! I'm pretty Impressed with it, the upgraded weapons really do become handy, automatic 20 luger ftw !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME*

*if you are looking for a decent PC multiplayer experience

what can i say, picked the game up for 44.99 when it came out and found it throughly disappointing - dont get me wrong the single player is a larf and its all fairly "polished" (by EA standards) - the weapon upgrade system is fairly cool however its blatantly obvious they had a team of morons developing multiplayer for PC. - if any development went into it at all

The MoH:A multiplayer ****STORM
    1. 12 players maximum? wtf is this 1994 again?
    2. No dedicated servers - all games must be hosted from client PC's
    3. Typical EA server browser ****e no pings/no filter memory/no connect to ip option)
    4. No ability to change your player name - u must use you EA login name
    5. Buggy maps/clipping/glitching
    6. Completely unrewarding gameplay

I compel you to only buy this game if you want a quick single player blast with some average replay value as the mp will need patches if it is to even come close to the other options on offer for PC gamers

if u need a second opinion just look at the general feedback here http://forums.ea.com/mboards/forum.jspa?forumID=414

- its pacific assault all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Hercule wrote:

The MoH:A multiplayer ****STORM
    1. 12 players maximum? wtf is this 1994 again?
    2. No dedicated servers - all games must be hosted from client PC's
    3. Typical EA server browser ****e no pings/no filter memory/no connect to ip option)
    4. No ability to change your player name - u must use you EA login name
    5. Buggy maps/clipping/glitching
    6. Completely unrewarding gameplay

That news is really disappointing , I was hoping that this would be a good multiplayer game to move onto , but I always had doubts . Thanks , you just saved me 44 euro . owe you a pint .

edit to add..... just had a look over on the EA forums , the negative reaction is in almost every thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I got it purely for the single player campaign and I'm enjoying it. Really atmospheric, graphics are great and weapon upgrade stuff is a nice touch. No doubt I'll never play it again once I finish it but it's always the same with these type of games so don't have any illusions that I'll be playing it this time next month.

If you want a good WWII single player campaign, get this. Not sure about multiplayer but judging by the other comments, don't bother if it's multiplayer you're after.

TC

did it ages to install for ye as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

By any chance are you installing it on a laptop?

yup,it took 2hrs :eek: ,how long did it take for yours to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I haven't installed Medal of Honour yet but games like Bioshock and Command and Conquer 3 take ages to install for me too. I guess laptops have slower dvd drives or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yes it did. Took about 25 minutes and my desktop is a decent spec. Bioshock only took about 5 minutes to install approx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1st impressions

The single player game is very solid, playing it on Expert and took me an hour to clear the 1st level could have been more, using the rifles as its a ww2 game and finding each little battle is a mini war where if you have a good spot you can take out everyone once you get the drop on the MG.

My very 1st landing in Adanti and i landed in the tower beside the main hall killing the dude up there, totally meant it :D

Only died once and that was someone clubbed me to death from behind whilst i was crouched at a window.

Game is very solid some clipping on stair cases and runs perfectly on 8800 with 2gb ram and FX.

Mulitplayer is a okish in a intimate 4 v 4 or 3 v 3 way, its not battlefied and plays okish, needs a dedicated server before it can be played properly.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Just wait until you fight the super heavy guys that walk around with the mgs on expert, even on medium it was a pain in the hole, got stuck behind a crate with the guy two feet in front, and other enemis swarming around me, must have died about 12 times trying to kill the two of them.

Advertisement