Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap reliable cartridges??

Options
  • 24-08-2007 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Whats anyone using for pigeons these days? Where can you get ammo northside of Dublin? I was using 7.5 28grm GBs and I liked them but cant get them anymore. Now I am using 7.5 28grm White Gold at €200 a thousand. I also use Rio 32grm 6 at €250 a thousand.

Anyone got a reliable cheap shell they always use or anywhere I can get a couple of thousand GBs?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Alan,

The GB supply has dried up in our part of the world.

We currently have Eley Super Game 32g no. 6 shot for sale at €220 per thousand. (licence permitting etc.).

We are up your way too, Courtlough Shooting Grounds Balbriggan.

We also have the full range of Rio 28g shells, starting at around 175ish per thou, but personally I will only fire 32g or more at live quarry. They deserve the respect of a clean kill.

The extra 4g of shot is not the main advantage over trap shell fof killing cleanly, it is the hardness of the lead.
    Hunting loads use a softer compound (less antimony) and are designed to impart their kinetic energy and flatten slightly on impact

Trap loads tend to penetrate the flesh rather than imparting their inherent energy to the quarry, resulting in less effective knock down and killing power

Cheers.

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

recently i have started using kent velocity 30g no.6 shells on crows. they are great, loads of power on crows, i was surprised! i was used to using 36g shells, but these in half choke should be great on pigeons too!!! has anyone used fox cartridges in 7.5,s i too used these too, great results regards john

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Yeah, I dont think the White Gold are good for live having tried them but the GBs were great. They were even sold as a pigeon shell as opposed to a target shell. Are the RIO a reliable cartridge? i.e will they take the bird down with a hit? Ive used shells like Diana no 6 32grm and I found they didnt have the same bang when it hit the bird?

johnfaul wrote:
    recently i have started using kent velocity 30g no.6 shells on crows. they are great, loads of power on crows, i was surprised! i was used to using 36g shells, but these in half choke should be great on pigeons too!!! has anyone used fox cartridges in 7.5,s i too used these too, great results regards john
    How much for the Kent? Where do you get them? Cavan?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

i got them up north not quite sure how much as i got other shells too

• Advertisement

I dont suppose its as simple as driving to Newry, showing your licence and driving back with a couple of thousand rounds in the boot???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

alan123 wrote:
    I dont suppose its as simple as driving to Newry, showing your licence and driving back with a couple of thousand rounds in the boot???
    No sadly it ain't that simple.

First you need a Europass, available for free from the Gardaí. Secondly and most important you need a PSNI visitors licence. To get one you need a NI resident to sponsor you. I have no idea how hard these are to get or the timescales involved.

No firearms dealer in NI should sell to you without the PSNI licence. Also if you get caught between Newry and the border with firearms and/or ammo you will be in deep deep trouble and you will become a guest of her Majesty's. :eek:

I suppose the visitors licence would set you back a few bob too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

alan123 wrote:
    I suppose the visitors licence would set you back a few bob too!
    http://www.psni.police.uk/index/advice_centre/firearms/pg_firearms_visiting.htm

£12 stg for the licence and 6 weeks to process apparently.

BTW, how many cartridges do the Irish FAC allow you to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

alan123 wrote:
    Are the RIO a reliable cartridge? i.e will they take the bird down with a hit? Ive used shells like Diana no 6 32grm and I found they didnt have the same bang when it hit the bird?

Alan,

For the past 4 seasons I have only fired Rio Royal Game for pheasant, duck and rabbit.
    I honestly believe them to be among the best game load available, second only to the old Winchester Westerns (The ones with the huge 28mm brass neck).

Smooth enough on recoil too. Good primers also, no misfires.

• Advertisement

As many as you want.... provided the Super gives it the ok!! If you have a busy 'shooting cv' i.e you can show that shoot serious competition clays, do a lot of vermin control etc and shoot several hundred rounds in a session etc. it will stand to you. Any more than 1000 and you are asking to have your storage facilities and security inspected.

Alan,

For the past 4 seasons I have only fired Rio Royal Game for pheasant, duck and rabbit.
    I honestly believe them to be among the best game load available, second only to the old Winchester Westerns (The ones with the huge 28mm brass neck).

Smooth enough on recoil too. Good primers also, no misfires.
    You know your stuff... Rio it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I am using Eley Super Game 32g no.5 or no.6. They cost me €55 for 250 shells which is €220 per thousand, but i am sure you would get a better deal if you were buying 1000 plus. I buy in Clarkes Sports Den in Navan. I gave up using 7's as i was injuring too many birds, the 6's give outright kills most of the time. I use the 5's for the bunnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

No equivalent of the old browning promax 7.5 32g around anymore ? Was a fantastic clay/crow/pigeon cartridge

Tried the Rio 32grm 6 tonight. Im convinced! Great killing power but a bit of a bang on the recoil but I can live with that for cleaner kills and less pricked birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

Chopper Dog

The winchester westerns were a fantastic cartridge I agree. Pity they are not made any more. They used to leave atrocious plastic fouling in the barrels, but it was worth it, they were a fine killing cartridge.

I'll use Eley grand prix no.6 30grm for most of my shooting, and remington field loads for duck and ground game/vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I use 28gr Eley Olympic Trap for all pigeon and crows .. @ €198 per thousand

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Westerns, Superspeeds and Blue Lights, class!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Terrier wrote:
    I use 28gr Eley Olympic Trap for all pigeon and crows .. @ €198 per thousand
    not a bad cartridge, used them the other day. using rc's a lot lately, they are filthy so they are. eley's are 8.50 a box in the hardware store in town. robbing b*stards

Advertisement