Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orientation Week Scheduling Conflicts

• 24-08-2007 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm a non-dublin arts student, doing a BA in Computer Science.

As such, on the Wedensday the 5th I assumed I'd go to "Arts, Non Dublin Students - Welcome To Arts" from 10AM till 1PM... and "Presidents Welcome Reception - Arts" at 1PM..

However, The orientation session for my particular course is on at 12.30PM... how confusing! Is this is a mistake or just bad timing? What to do, what to do.. The guy on the Student Helpdesk was of no help at all lol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

karmabass wrote:
    Ok so I'm a non-dublin arts student, doing a BA in Computer Science.

As such, on the Wedensday the 5th I assumed I'd go to "Arts, Non Dublin Students - Welcome To Arts" from 10AM till 1PM... and "Presidents Welcome Reception - Arts" at 1PM..

However, The orientation session for my particular course is on at 12.30PM... how confusing! Is this is a mistake or just bad timing? What to do, what to do.. The guy on the Student Helpdesk was of no help at all lol.

None of these things are that important. Skip the President thing and just leave the Welcome to Arts thing early. My 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

the presidents welcome thing is not worth going to, imo.
    go to your specific course thingy and maybe the welcome to arts and you'll be grand!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

President's thing is not worth going to. They do give out free stuff (it was scarves last year, used to be wallets). They also bored us out of it back in 2003 with Dave Fanning. An hour of my life I'll never get back. :rolleyes:

Just leave the other thing early - none of the orientation stuff is that important - your course orientation meeting will have some important stuff so defo go to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

To be fair they're all equally unimportant to go to; none of them are going to make or break your degree. However I'd recommend going to the president's reception. Its cool if its your first time in O'Reilly hall and you see all the academics coming in in their robes. Plus you get a free scarf and light food and drinks afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

The orientation session for my course is the only one of those things that's even vaguely important imo, if only because it might be your first chance to get to know your class, but even if you miss it, there'll be other chances.
    Relax, nothing improtant happens during orrientation week, it's just a bit of fun (and probabaly a way of letting first years at the college for the first time a week before the rest of us come back so they don't annoy us quite so much, no offence, first years are usually lovely as individuals, but the whole lot of them dumped on campus at once are terribly trying.)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yes, most importantly don't forget to visit one of the two bars on campus and chill out after your hard first day :) Welcome & Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

How (un)important is the library orientation thing? I might need the weekend after this off work, so would need to work Wednesday instead. And if I can skip the orientation thing, then I might aswell. Cant see it being any different than any other library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No need to go to the library thing, you'll learn as you go... or else you'll walk around like a headless chicken for a while (like me!) and then ask someone every single time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

yeh walking around like a headless chicken.........first time there, I went up the down escalator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I went to the library orientation thing in first year. I remember nothing about it. I'm pretty sure it was a waste of time. The library's pretty easy to get the hang of it. Check out books, pay huge fines, know the Dewey decimal system (by the time you graduate... probably).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

woop wrote:
    yeh walking around like a headless chicken.........first time there, I went up the down escalator
    Escalators can be pretty confusing at times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭niavie

Dont bother going to anything apart from the computer orientation thing...they give out memory sticks...they will literally save your life....:rolleyes:

Advertisement