Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halftone Pattern

Options
  • 24-08-2007 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Can anyone tell me how to create a halftone effect such as the one in the picture below

batgirl45.jpg

I've done plenty of googling but all I've really come up with is the "filter>pixelate>colour halftone" effect in photoshop, which only seems to do a small area surrounding an object... and not even very well.

In the picture there, the dots get smaller in every direction, but I only want to do it in one.

Basically, I'd like to be able to take a large, uniformly coloured rectangle, and apply that effect with larger circle across the bottom graduating to smaller at the top.

Any ideas?

Is this something I might need illustrator for? I dont have illustrator, but have been wanting to learn it, so I will be purchasing it at some point.

Thanks

Brian

P.S. for anyone interested, that aret is by James Jean, http://www.jamesjean.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Give me two seconds ...

Open Photoshop and create a new Image , I went for 500 x 500 just for now...
    400171758905686025511283_step1.jpg
    With the colours set as default black and white , select the gradient tool and put it in radial mode...
    051963893479067446635399_step2.jpg001827043647387928726459_step3.jpg
    Drag the gradient from the centre of the canvas out to make something like this...
    346008958060883367735055_step4.jpg
    Now go to image>mode>grayscale and select discard on the pop up box . Now Go to filter>pixelate>colour halftone , and leave everything default except the radius which should be set to around 20 . This should give you something like this...
    971947511701751929941238_step5.jpg
    Then go back to image>mode>RGB . I hope this is what you need and this is clear enough, you can always change some of the settings like radius along the way for different results . As it is its only black and white but I can put up more instructions on adding colour properly if you want ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Nice one Citizen Erased, thats a popular effect. Good to know it can be easily replicated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BTM

That is perfect

Thank you so much Citizen_Erased (fellow Muse fan?)

I wanted it with the larger dots at one end and smaller at the other, but acheived that with the same method using a linear gradient.

Just need to play around with the angles to get it going the way I want.

Colouring is grand, I can just select the black and do what I want with it after that.

Thanks again, great help!

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Cheers Citizen_Erased :) thats one I didn't know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Oops yeah sorry bout that BTM , forgot to read your whole post very carefully but sure the key is to switch to grayscale so I suppose you're grand then .

Oh and yeah , Muse fan to the end of course ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement