Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffiths College Cork?

Options
  • 24-08-2007 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi all,

I posted this in the Education form but will give it a try here too.

I'm interested in attending a Business Studies degree at Griffiths College Cork and a friend of mine said the college is a money scam & a degree from their institution isn't worth much in Ireland.

I know it's a private college but I really love their curriculum & much prefer it to CIT, UCC & CCC but I wouldn't want to pay almost 3K a year for a degree that means nothing!

Anybody attended the college or has a degree from their institution? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

You could call any private college a money making scam, since profit is a motive for the owners, but it certainly doesn't mean that the degrees are worthless. In Ireland, employers undervalue institutes of technology relative to universities, and private colleges will also be considered second rate by many people. I would advise you to go to UCC, don't read too much into the curriculum because you will probably be disappointed by it anyway, regardless of how great it sounds.

As for the merits of Griffith College... I don't know about business, but some of their programs are accredited by HETAC, and others are accredited by different universities and institutions. They do a lot of professional exams, and the Griffith College campus on Drinan St. consistently produce top notch results in accounting, for example.

In short, Griffith College Cork would be good for some stuff, but for your primary degree, I would advise UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bina84

Hey Illkillya,

thanks for responding.

UCC is a bit far for me & the last thing I want is to have to rely on buses.

The program I want to attend is accredited by HETAC, again, since I'm new to this country, what exactly does that mean? Good, bad, or nothing much?

http://www.gcc.ie/index.jsp?1nID=321&2nID=334&nID=377&aID=694

I love how Griffiths outlined the whole degree & has four streams you can go for in the third year (I'm particularly interested in E-Commerce, which is not offered by other institutions in Cork, or am I mistaken?).

UCC only has Bachelor of Arts available in the evening course departments, and I'm not looking for a such a general degree, but I really want to finish a degree as I feel very unaccomplished without it.

It's difficult enough finding a degree program if I could be a day student, but I work full-time so this makes it even more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Apologies if I'm being too blunt, but when it comes to something as important as your third level education, I will always recommend that you go the extra mile (literally), even if it means taking the bus. To put it in perspective, most people move out of their house and build their lives around the university (in theory).

UCC is a big university, 17,000 students, with lots of facilities, a nice campus, a huge library, and plenty of support and resources. It has won 'best university in Ireland' a couple of times over the past few years, and, as a National University of Ireland, it is highly regarded by employers. Have you been inside Griffith College Cork? It is more like a big house - you should definitely take a stroll around both UCC and GCC and ask yourself, "where would I rather spend my evenings over the course of the next three years?".

I don't know about the curriculum, but when I went to UCC, I had a 'book of modules' which allowed me to select from a bunch of different classes each year - surely the business degree has the option of some e-commerce? Would be worth trying to get a hold of someone who did the course, or speaking to someone from the faculty. In my opinion, GCC is a good option for people who don't get the points to attend UCC, for people doing professional qualifications, and for very busy people who need a flexible, part time schedule to meet their needs.

It sounds like you might fit into the latter category there, so Griffith College might do the trick, and an honours degree in 3 years part time does sound very tempting. There is no escaping the fact that some employers (in Ireland at least) would see it as being inferior to a degree from UCC. Although some people might disagree with me - an honours degree is an honours degree. Having the piece of paper is what's important, and once you've racked up a few years of quality experience, then employers probably won't care where your degree came from. You will almost certainly get a better quality education from UCC, but I'm sure there are lots of people who float through without learning much in both colleges.

Maybe a good option would be to do the 3 years part time in GCC, and follow it up with an MBA from UCC (2 years part time). That way you get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I had to do study in Griffith for a year and wouldn't suggest you go there.For one thing it is a bit of a dump and the students there seemed to be there because they couldn't get into the superior CIT/UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Meadbdh

I've been accepted to do a llm in international commercial law at griffith college in Dublin. I know the undergraduate courses wouldn't hold much weight but I am wondering if the postgraduate courses are better recognised??

I have a law degree from trinity and I'm considering gcd as its the most accommodating with work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Isn't Griffith College up by the old FAS building? Sure that's like a 15 minute walk from UCC.

Illkillya wrote: »
    In Ireland, employers undervalue institutes of technology relative to universities

Perhaps in business courses etc, not in engineering and science though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

RoverJames wrote: »
    Perhaps in business courses etc, not in engineering and science though.

I'd disagree. Though it totally depends on the IT in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

Avoid Avoid Avoid

UCC is the only way to go for primary degree> the number of private colleges like GC going bust is unreal. I wouldn't be investing time in a private college of this type.

I know for me the facilities were sub standard considering the sizeable fees paid.

If UCC is further away from you and you are not prepared to inconvenience yourself by going there well then on your head be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I have attended UCC for an Engineering degree & 10 years later CIT for a business degree at night. While I would always hold my engineering degree in high regard what I learned in CIT has been & will be more valuable to me.
    Having said that UCC is a far nicer physical environment to learn in.

To the OP, I would say that transport difficulties between Griffith & UCC should not be a factor, it is a very manageable walk. CIT is a bit out of your way but has a far greater ranger of night time courses that might suit. They also have the set up where you can evolve into your final choice, marketing, supply chain, HR, accounting, management, etc.

• Advertisement

I'd disagree. Though it totally depends on the IT in question.

I would be referring to CIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

RoverJames wrote: »
    I would be referring to CIT.

Ah, I read the original quote wrong. :o Science and engineering from what I have seen from two ITs are of a high standard with regard to lab experience and lecturer.

Advertisement