Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

self bike repair (just need tools and some spare parts)

Options
  • 24-08-2007 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hallo,

Is there in Dublin (possibly close to UCD) one of these bike repair shops in which they just borrow you the tools and you fix your bike by yourself? and where you can also buy the spare parts you need?

thanks,
    Giulio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

You could try Joe Daly's in dundrum, just under the Luas bridge, was in there just yesterday and they let me finish building my rear wheel and put on the sprocket etc. Sound guys in there!

I'd say if you're buying parts, then you'll have a good chance of using them, aslong as you respect them and use them properly..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Isn't there a bike shop in UCD?

I can't see it happening unless you are spending a lot on parts and only using the tools incidentally. Shops aren't charities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

UCD bike shop is great for that. just go in and explain your problem and see if they can do anything about it. if its easily fixed they do it there for you. obviously if it needs parts that they dont have they'll hold onto it for a while and fix it themselves for a price.

but ive gone in their loads of times and asked about some problems i used to have with my old bike and they just fixed them straight away. i asked how much they wanted for the service and they said it was free of charge.

though, if you do feel a bit guilty, you can just buy a puncture repair kit or something like that.

funny thing is... i dont even go to college in UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Victor wrote:
    I can't see it happening unless you are spending a lot on parts and only using the tools incidentally. Shops aren't charities.
    Yeah, in general they're pretty relaxed, but unless you know them well or are buying a lot of stuff there, it's unlikely they'd let you in to fix your bike. There's also insurance to think about - if they let you into the workshop to mount your bike and then you slip on some spilled grease and crack your head, they're probably not insured...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

dongiulio wrote:
    Is there in Dublin (possibly close to UCD) one of these bike repair shops in which they just borrow you the tools and you fix your bike by yourself? and where you can also buy the spare parts you need?

What do you need to fix on your bike?
    I think you are better off buying the tools yourself. Think of it as an investment. I have lots of tools that I've only ever used once or twice, e.g. pedal spanner, crank remover, but I think when you have the tools, you become more knowledgable about the bike and all the different parts, and it definitely gets you more interested in cycling.

Thats what happened with me, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dongiulio

I went to Joe Daly and they proved very helpful, also the guy close to booterstown DART station was very helpful, I arranged with him to leave the bike and he will fix it (change my wheel basically) using 2nd hand parts. ;)

I still don't know how much it will cost, but for sure much less than the 55€ they all asked me for the new wheel.

G

Advertisement