Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thailand (Bangkok, Samui & Chang Mai)

• 24-08-2007 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

Just back from our honeymoon in Thailand, and it was a great trip.

The local beers are Singha and Chang. Both are good, though the Chang is 6.4% but goes down very easy. Caught us off guard more than once. I think there may be a couple of other local beers, but they didn't seem very wide spread. Heineken, Asahi, Tiger and Corona are all widely available. Prices can very from 70 Baht to 260 Baht for a beer. They probably come cheaper again, but 70 was as cheap as we found.

You can find night markets in most tourist places - it gets very boring haggling after a while, but you can get 50-80% of a lot of stuff if you stay at it long enough.

We flew over with China Airlines who we thought were shìte. They charge you a fortune if you go over the 20K limit (up to €30 per kg). For an 11 hour flight we were expecting our own TVs, but it was all very basic.

Bangkok
    Very busy city, traffic is 24/7 and very smoggy as a result. Not quite as sleazy as we had been told, apart from Patpong market which wasn't too nice. We found that it wasn't particularly cheap for drink or food, though we didn't go searching for bargains.

We stayed in the Shangri-La which was a fantastic hotel, but very pricey (e.g. 500 Baht for two bottles of mineral water). It's right on the river, and the last stop on the Sky train (BTS), so well located.

Two very good restaurants:
    Blue Elephant: traditional Thai food. Think it was about 3500 Baht for two, including wine.
    Banyun Tree: serves western cuisine, and it's an open air place on the 60th floor of a hotel. Amazing views of the city, and the food is absolutely fantastic. Very pricey though, at about 9500 Baht for two.

For shopping, herself went to MBK mall a few times, which is a 7 story place and pretty cheap. The authorities don't seem to give a crap about fake clothes there. If you're looking for bespoke stuff, don't go for the cheapest tailors - e.g. 2 suits for €100, they will be crap quality and won't last.

Chang Mai

Nice city up the North, doesn't feel it but quite a large city at 2.5 million or so. Much cheaper than Bangkok, easy to get dinner for 500 Baht for two.

Lots of things to do - Elephant Safaris, visit hill tribes, mountain temples etc.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn (formally the Sheraton). It wasn't bad, but as we wanted to get out and about, we weren't too pushed about getting a very good hotel.

Koh Samui

Resort type island in the south - we stayed just outside Chaweng resort, which was pretty nasty, felt very much like Playa del Ingles. However, we stayed in the Tongsai Bay resort, which was brilliant. It's set on about 45 acres, and has a private beach.

A lot of the rooms are cottages split into two apartments up in the hill overlooking the bay. You're a bit away from the lobby, but you just have to ring reception and they'll send a golf buggy down to you. 3 restaurants, and a bar open till 2, so it's very easy to stay there without even having to leave - just as well, considering what we thought of Chaweng.

There's a lot more to see and do there, but at that stage we were knackered, so didn't move too far from the pool.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Excellent post, I’m hoping to visit Bangkok next summer.
    Is there still much of a military presence on the streets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Excellent post, I’m hoping to visit Bangkok next summer.
    Is there still much of a military presence on the streets?

Thanks Trevor.

No, if you didn't know about the coup, you wouldn't notice a thing (as a tourist - I'm sure the locals would!).

They just approved the new constution by referendum so the military state may end soon, and it will return to democracy - but you honestly wouldn't notice one way or the other. In fact, I think Thailand is pretty used to coups.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the Thai people are seriously loyal to religion and their King & Queen. You will see portraits and shrines to the King everywhere. If nothing else, religion and royalty are the things you really have to respect over there, because they take it very seriously. I seem to remember some tourist was very lucky to have his 7 year sentence for vandalising a post of the King pardoned recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Interesting report and thanks for that! :)

Poor old China Airlines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines for anyone not knowing of them), they wouldn't be my first, second or 298th choice for flying. Slightly disaster prone is how I'd describe them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

eoin_s wrote:

We flew over with China Airlines who we thought were shìte. They charge you a fortune if you go over the 20K limit (up to €30 per kg). For an 11 hour flight we were expecting our own TVs, but it was all very basic.

They were ****e when I used them 3 years ago, but I able to upgrade our hotels because they were a couple of hundred cheaper.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Interesting report and thanks for that! :)

Poor old China Airlines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines for anyone not knowing of them), they wouldn't be my first, second or 298th choice for flying. Slightly disaster prone is how I'd describe them.

Dear Jesus - maybe I should be grateful that we got there and back safe! We had left it very late booking the honeymoon so were very limited with our carrier choices. I know better now, and am very glad I was ignorant about them before we took off...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭DO0GLE

eoin_s, very interested in your post as I'm currently planning our honeymoon for this time next year and like youeself, was looking at spending a couple of nights in the Shangri La in Bangkok and the travel agent also suggested The Tongsai Bay in Koh Samui. Would you recommend Koh Samui or do anything differently?? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.....besides not to fly with China Airlines!!:D

DO0GLE wrote:
    eoin_s, very interested in your post as I'm currently planning our honeymoon for this time next year and like youeself, was looking at spending a couple of nights in the Shangri La in Bangkok and the travel agent also suggested The Tongsai Bay in Koh Samui. Would you recommend Koh Samui or do anything differently?? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.....besides not to fly with China Airlines!!:D

Tongsai Bay was the business - can't say enough good things about it, and the staff. The staff were polite in the other hotels, but nowhere near as friendly as the ones in Tongsai.

Although we were there for 9 days we were really lazy, and didn't really explore the island at all - I'm sure there's a bit more to see and do, but we were happy lazing by the pool (and bar).

Like I said, Chaweng was the nearest resort, and we didn't really like it. We spoke to some other guests who were also in Phuket, and that's supposed to be busier again, which we didn't really want.

I don't know if I would recommend Thailand for a destination if it's just to get some sun - it's not the bargain that I thought it would be over there, and the 11 hour flight is a pain. I'm very glad we took in the cultural side of things in Chang Mai, because otherwise we could have pretty much done everything we did in a resort in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

just back myself

myself adn the girlfriend spent 2 nights in bangkok, 6 in phuket and 6 in koh samui

Bangkok was very different, enjoyed it but wouldnt like to spend much time in it. Went to MBK as well, and also went to the Royal Palace, which you ahve to do, its amazing.

In phuket, we were in karon beach, main one down from Patong, which is the main resort. I really liked it, was very nice. if you go to Patong, eat in restaurant 6, meals in there were around €4-5 for the both of us each time, was lovely. In phuket we did a mini safari, went to james bond island and also went to the phantasea show, which was brilliant

in koh samui, we were down south, not really in any resort, around 15 minutes from lamai and 30 from chaweng.

it is incredibly cheap to get by in, well for us anyway.

any quetsions, give us a shout sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

eoin_s wrote:
    I know better now, and am very glad I was ignorant about them before we took off...

Probably for the best alright ;)

event wrote:
    In phuket, we were in karon beach, main one down from Patong, which is the main resort. I really liked it, was very nice. if you go to Patong, eat in restaurant 6, meals in there were around €4-5 for the both of us each time, was lovely. In phuket we did a mini safari, went to james bond island and also went to the phantasea show, which was brilliant

in koh samui, we were down south, not really in any resort, around 15 minutes from lamai and 30 from chaweng.

it is incredibly cheap to get by in, well for us anyway.

any quetsions, give us a shout sure

What was the weather like in Phuket.....thought it was wet season there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Hi guys, great post Eoin thanks. Am going to Thailand for 3 weeks over christmas with friends (5 of us in all), haven't heard anything good about Samui really, would like to go to a number of different islands and, possibly Phuket as well.
    DO you have any recommendations on accommodation in Phi phi, Tao etc.?Any general info at all is good, where to eat, how much to bring etc?
    Also where to do PADI course and the possibility of a couple of rounds of golf?

Been there before but it was 7 years ago and only stayed a week on the way to Australia, scaldy Pattaya, never again.
    Samui sounds similar:eek:

JCDUB wrote:
    Hi guys, great post Eoin thanks. Am going to Thailand for 3 weeks over christmas with friends (5 of us in all), haven't heard anything good about Samui really, would like to go to a number of different islands and, possibly Phuket as well.
    DO you have any recommendations on accommodation in Phi phi, Tao etc.?Any general info at all is good, where to eat, how much to bring etc?
    Also where to do PADI course and the possibility of a couple of rounds of golf?

Been there before but it was 7 years ago and only stayed a week on the way to Australia, scaldy Pattaya, never again.
    Samui sounds similar:eek:

I'm afraid I don't have a clue about the other places, but have a guide book or two that I doubt I'll ever use again. From what I've heard, I'd say Pattaya is a lot worse than Chaweng in Samui. Chaweng wasn't the worst at all, just reminded me of all the other resorts I've been to in the Canaries etc.

Koh Phi Phi is supposed to be very good for the diving.

My dad has been on a couple of golfing holidays to Thailand, and has had a great time, so I'll get on to him and see where he stayed.

Do you mean how much money to bring? As I said, it's not the bargain I expected, though we really could have gotten better deals on nearly everything if we had looked around harder - but we weren't overly pushed on that as it was our honeymoon.

I always find it really hard to budget for holidays, but there are ATMs everywhere and most hotels will advance you cash on your credit card (which I think means you don't get stung by the instant interest like you would using a credit card at an ATM), so just make sure you have a bit in reserve at home and you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Thanks a million Eoin,

Your info is very helpful. When I asked how much I was wondering about money alright.
    I reckon €1500 for 3 weeks including accommodation should be fine from what I've read/heard?

About the golf, I'm sure I'll find something when I mooch around the web, just haven't bothered yet.Find out what you can from your Dad if you remember at some stage.

Thanks again.

Hope married life is treating you well :)

JCDUB wrote:
    Thanks a million Eoin,

Your info is very helpful. When I asked how much I was wondering about money alright.
    I reckon €1500 for 3 weeks including accommodation should be fine from what I've read/heard?

About the golf, I'm sure I'll find something when I mooch around the web, just haven't bothered yet.Find out what you can from your Dad if you remember at some stage.

Thanks again.

Hope married life is treating you well :)

Married life all good so far thanks!

I find that on holidays, you will spend what you bring one way or the other. Going out was more than I thought it would be - the very cheapest we got beers for was around €1.50, going all the way up to over €5. Dinner can range widely - I'm sure with a little bit of research or asking around, you will be able to find places where you can eat for €5 a head. Again, this can go all the way up to Irish prices and more.

€1500 over 3 weeks is about €70 per day, so unless you can find somewhere pretty cheap to stay, you may need some more cash than that if you plan to go out much.

I've emailed my dad about where he went for the golf, and will post back here when he gets back to me.

JCDUB wrote:

My dad just got back to me, he organised his trip through Killester Travel who organise group trips. He said the courses were very good, but it was near Pattaya which isn't the nicest of places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Koh Tao is the spot for the Scuba Diving, apparently its very rare for people to go there for anything else!

My one outstanding memory of Thailand was Ko Phi Phi, the closest thing I've seen to paradise. I really found it hard to leave that place (literally as well, they ran out of petrol on the island for a day or two!) and would highly recommend it for anyone visiting Thailand.

Railay is a nice but slightly uneventful area, nice for relaxing by the pool and having a drink or two in the evening I'm sure.

Chiang Mai is the place to go for day-trips and treks, plenty of rafting, elephant treks, bus trips to the golden triangle and a boat across the river to Laos. You can also cross the border into Burma which is quite handy if you are going to be in Thailand for a while as you need to renew your visa every 30 days.

Other than that I'd agree with much of what has been said already. I'd imagine its very hard to have a bad time in Thailand unless you get sick or something.

Which reminds me, get your shots! Friend of a friend of mine got very sick this summer because he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

DO0GLE wrote:
    What was the weather like in Phuket.....thought it was wet season there at the moment.

weather was great

rained once, for around 10 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Good post

We are staying in the Buddy Lodge on kho san road
    Only there for 2 days so was told this is the area to stay. Whats Bangkok to get around as a city & whats Kho San road like ?
    Mate was there not his scene and he said the smell was not the best

Also rang the embassy to check certain things out and they told me I have to produce proof that we can support ourself i.e have to show them Thau Baht money. Was not going to bring that much just use ATM but they said customs may ask us for more. Also leaving tax etc do they ask for this

Also going to Koh Samui but staying on Lamai beach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Irish Gunner Good post
    Whats Bangkok to get around as a city & whats Kho San road like ?
    Mate was there not his scene and he said the smell was not the best

Also rang the embassy to check certain things out and they told me I have to produce proof that we can support ourself i.e have to show them Thau Baht money. Was not going to bring that much just use ATM but they said customs may ask us for more. Also leaving tax etc do they ask for this

For going to see tourist sites like the palace in Bangkok get a taxi if you are with people. The humidity is so bad that at least you'll have some aircon in the taxis. Not expensive either. Kho San road pretty much has everything you want for night time. Its a huge city, we didn't venture far at night.

I used my atm card when I was there. I never heard of needing proof to support yourself. I wouldn't worry about that. Can't remember about the emigration tax but you pay that at the airport after you check in. You have to show proof that you paid as you are going through the departure gate.

Yeah, taxis are the way to go - a couple of euro for even the longer of trips within the city. Lots of tuk-tuks too, but you're very exposed to the smoggy air, which you can nearly chew. The aircon can be a big relief. Also, some of the tuk-tuk drivers are lunatics - can't believe we didn't see one accident the way they drive!

The sky train (BTS) is good, but don't know if it's convenient for your part of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

oh yeah, one more thing. Beware of the scams. If anyone asks you - just say no, I don't want to buy a suit, go for a scenic trip on a tuk tuk to see the palace/temples/whatever. They always look like respectable men - well dressed, perfect english. Just walk away, you might feel like you are being rude but hey they will torment you if you don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I arrived into Bangkok about 60 days ago and have barely left the place. I'm really enjoying my time here.

Great place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Eek, I hope you renewed your visa!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Eek, I hope you renewed your visa!
    Extended it by 30 days yesterday! ;)

It's the reason why I know I've been here exactly 60 days.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

just got back 2 days ago - depressed as hell!!!

if you have 3 days to spare , go to koh tao and get your PADI open water diving licence. an expierence not to be missed!!! stay for 1 night in the koh tao resort and do your licence with them ( you get a reduction for booking into the hotel) then head to another resort ( we went to the coral grand) rent a quad there , its an amazing place , bit like samui about 8 years ago ( before it got too touristy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

horgan_p wrote: »
    just got back 2 days ago - depressed as hell!!!
    Got back 5 weeks ago - depressed as hell!!;)

you can do it a lot cheaper than the op did. i spent 4 months between vietnam, cambodia, laos and thailand and spent just over €3000. You can eat food from stalls for less than €1 and its nice food, a large chang can be bought for about 60baht, but it depends on the area your in! As for samui, i didnt go there because of all the terrible reports i got off other ppl about it. Koh Phangan would be my choice, beautiful place and koh Tao is nice too, great for diving. I wouldnt recommend phuket either unless your into the costa del sol type of holiday.

I also flew with china airlines.....sh*te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 SlummyMummy

Thanks for all the great info. Going to Thailand for 2 weeks in February with our two little ones (2 and 4) and my parents (I know I must be mad). Flying straight to Chiang Mai (via Bangkok) (Four Seasons) then Phuket (Holiday Inn) and finally 3 days in Bangkok (Penninsula). We've chosen big hotels with childrens facilites so hoping these will be ok but what I really wanted to ask was..in terms of activites and day trips what could we do with the children and what would not be suitable to do with them? Would love to go to the floating market in Bangkok but couldn't imagine this would be suitable for the kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

heading to thailand next march for 2 and a half weeks. going straight to chiang mai from bangkok too. found a cool place to stay ( www.fernparadisie.com ). stayin there for 5 nights then on to phuket. going with china airlines (not telling the girlfriend what i've read on these pages!) is it really that bad??
    havent booked anything in phuket yet. is it easy to get accommodation when you arrive? anyone know any good beach huts for around €30-€60?
    will spend some time on phi phi too. any good beach huts?

www.tavelfish.org

this site has it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

darrenh wrote: »
    www.tavelfish.org

this site has it all

actually, that site has nothing! :p

it's

www.travelfish.org

Ok site, but I'd recommend www.tripadvisor.com myself

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭pilot1087

Hi Guys,

I'm travelling over to Thailand in 2 weeks for a wedding... what is the best way to bring my money over.

I was going to put it all into the credit or laser card but I'm unsure as to how much I will be charged if I make a withdrawal at an ATM.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Traveller cheques should be fine. From what I remember there wasn't much of a charge on the ATMs for a withdrawal though.

i brought cash and credit card. there is very little petty crime over there. from what i was told it is fellow tourists you need to watch out for!

There's not much violent crime alright, but I would be wary of pick pockets anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bidanged

pilot1087 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm travelling over to Thailand in 2 weeks for a wedding... what is the best way to bring my money over.

I was going to put it all into the credit or laser card but I'm unsure as to how much I will be charged if I make a withdrawal at an ATM.

If you put your cash onto your credit card you wont be charged anything for a withdrawal. I was in Thailand last week and I was using my pass card and every transaction I made cost 3.17.Even if I took a tenner out it cost 3.17 and once I took out 200 euro and I was charged 11.17.I'm going back in a few weeks and the bank told me the best way is with a credit card because theres no charges for withdrawals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭pilot1087

Bidanged wrote: »
    If you put your cash onto your credit card you wont be charged anything for a withdrawal. I was in Thailand last week and I was using my pass card and every transaction I made cost 3.17.Even if I took a tenner out it cost 3.17 and once I took out 200 euro and I was charged 11.17.I'm going back in a few weeks and the bank told me the best way is with a credit card because theres no charges for withdrawals.

Think it'll have to be the credit card so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

pilot1087 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Kinda hijacking here but I'm going over to a wedding too (February). I've been before so the travel aspect is fine just wondering if anyone knows much about what customs there are over there for such ceremonies and have any tips?

Khawp khun kha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 manufanu

<edit></edit>

Just a quick note to warn people. I know everyone knows that you keep all your valuables in your day bag when flying and leaving your dorms or whatever accommodation you have, but that goes for overnight buses and ferries too. On one of our buses we got from Ko Samui, we left our rucksacks in the hold all on the bus. When we were all on the deck of the boat the drivers down below and took all the rucksacks out and went through them . I had an electric razor and my "Mack in a Sack taken". After speaking to other travellers we also found out that they also can climb into the luggage compartment while everyone is on the bus and go through your bags. Just be careful, if they are willing to take a crappy little raincoat and a 5 year old razor on me they might take something alot more valuable on someone else.

Other than that, Thailand is excellent. Also, when staying on Phuket, get out of the town straight away and head down to one of the beach towns, Karon Beach is where I stayed and the view is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

have just left chaing mai after a week and must say it was fantastic went with missus and 8yr old son. there is so much to do you have got to check out "the flight of the gobbon" will never see anything like it again we also did a trek on quad bike had son on one with me brilliant hotel Rimping village ten min walk from night bazzar. all in all very cheap. kids will love the elephant camp "there is two the one that is closest to chiang mai is the better one" there are a couple of irish bars two but mind you they were the dearest at which we ate for porb 15e for three of us. the thais love to see families we were welcomed every where and felt really safe although it is still obvious to stay safe. if looking for a good priced hotel with pool just for peace of mind with kids i cant recomend Rimping village high enough staff were fantastic.

Does anybody know if you should take malaria tablets for Chiang Mai? Heading there for a few days.

• Advertisement

DO0GLE wrote: »
    Does anybody know if you should take malaria tablets for Chiang Mai? Heading there for a few days.

You probably should, if you are thinking of heading out of the city. I think you start taking them a few days before you arrive, and a few days after.

There are also some shots that they recommend you get. We went to the tropical medical bureau who were very helpful.

DO0GLE wrote: »
    you dont need to take them. i went to the tmb and they said i was ok. i was trekking, on elephants, bamboo rafted down jungle rivers and swam in waterfalls. you have to go near the burmeese border before you need to take them. mosquito wipes are the business. (50% deet)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

eoin_s wrote: »
    There's not much violent crime alright, but I would be wary of pick pockets anywhere.

Take a look at the statistics, makes for some interesting reading http://www.eturbonews.com/1827/thais-scramble-allay-tourist-fears-after-rece

There's a list of foreigners who've been MURDERED in Thailand within the past 12 months.

Think.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

JCDUB wrote: »
    Thanks a million Eoin, Your info is very helpful

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

38141 wrote: »
    Take a look at the statistics, makes for some interesting reading http://www.eturbonews.com/1827/thais-scramble-allay-tourist-fears-after-rece

There's a list of foreigners who've been MURDERED in Thailand within the past 12 months.

Think.

That's fair enough, I didn't think it was that dangerous, and certainly never felt like I was in danger of being mugged or anything like that, but that is an interesting article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Nebuchadnezzar

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Which reminds me, get your shots! Friend of a friend of mine got very sick this summer because he didn't.

What did he get if u dont mind me asking? ill be heading there in 3 weeks and i have typhoid and hep A from a previous holiday but i hear a booster can be nessecary for hep A? Do u or anyone recomend any other shots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

38141 wrote: »

Think.

Yes THINK.............

Don't go walking on beaches by yourself at night.

If going to Full Moon Parties and the like, stick together and avoid any dodgy looking people (ALSO: Do NOT try to jump through the ring of fire. It DOES end badly!!!!)

Don't go down any dodgy looking sidestreets esp. at night.

Don't except drinks from people you don't know.

Don't take advice from seemingly well to do Thai people who are lawyers/doctors etc. They probably aren't who they say they are.

When booking bus trips etc. if the price is too good to be true then it probably is! (esp. bus routes from/to Bangkok going to chang Mai or south towards the islands).

You are not in Ireland anymore, respect other countries customs/cultures.

If you get into trouble with a local, try sort it out calmly. Don't get hostile as the small thai guy may come back with friends... and knives!!

Get locks for your backpack amd don't have lots of bags/cameras hanging out of ya.

Only carry enough cash you think you need.

If hotel has safe, use it!

Stay in places recommended by other travellers you meet/on forums.

Thailand isn't a very dangerous country.....just use common sense and be a but cautious.

What did he get if u dont mind me asking? ill be heading there in 3 weeks and i have typhoid and hep A from a previous holiday but i hear a booster can be nessecary for hep A? Do u or anyone recomend any other shots?

Go to www.tmb.ie and you will see the shots you need. They tend to list all the ones you could possibly need for Thailand, but when you call into them they will ask what areas you are going for, and for how long. Based on that, they will then advise you on the shots to get.

Larianne wrote: »
    Yes THINK.............

Don't go walking on beaches by yourself at night.

If going to Full Moon Parties and the like, stick together and avoid any dodgy looking people (ALSO: Do NOT try to jump through the ring of fire. It DOES end badly!!!!)

Don't go down any dodgy looking sidestreets esp. at night.

Don't except drinks from people you don't know.

Don't take advice from seemingly well to do Thai people who are lawyers/doctors etc. They probably aren't who they say they are.

When booking bus trips etc. if the price is too good to be true then it probably is! (esp. bus routes from/to Bangkok going to chang Mai or south towards the islands).

You are not in Ireland anymore, respect other countries customs/cultures.

If you get into trouble with a local, try sort it out calmly. Don't get hostile as the small thai guy may come back with friends... and knives!!

Get locks for your backpack amd don't have lots of bags/cameras hanging out of ya.

Only carry enough cash you think you need.

If hotel has safe, use it!

Stay in places recommended by other travellers you meet/on forums.

Thailand isn't a very dangerous country.....just use common sense and be a but cautious.

The bolded part is all you really need to read in this post.

I can't think of much more major incidents involving tourists in Thailand in the past 12 months apart from those 3 mentioned in the article (the Japanese girl, the Canadian in Pai, and the Swede in Phuket). I wouldn't let an article like that put you off going to Thailand considering the amount of tourists that pass through the country each month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The bolded part is all you really need to read in this post.

I've met quite a few people who don't use/have any common sense... going into dodgy money exchange places, getting robbed on bus trips, jumping through Rings of Fire, so I think it's a useful post. Some people are too naive/stupid for travelling!

• Advertisement
Advertisement