Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline cabin carry-on pet carriers?

Options
  • 24-08-2007 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I'm travelling to Europe with my cat in two weeks time and the airline allows pets in the passenger cabin, but they have restrictions on the carrier size.

I rang every pet shop that I could think of and can't find a suitable carrier.

What I need is something like this:
    http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=1512&SizeID=6

Does anyone know of a petstore, either walk-in or online, where I could get such an item?

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Would you mind if I ask which airline as I might be getting a puppy from the UK

Thanks

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SpicyNoodle

Maybe one of the bags would be more suitable size wise. I have bought from this online store and I highly recommend them.

http://www.petshoponline.ie/customer/home.php?cat=438

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

A cat in a bag on a plane? Sounds like a Mr. Bean episode!

Netman - most of the cat carriers are quite large - I think even the smallest one you'd have trouble fitting it on your lap and definitely would not go at your feet. I think you're going to be stuck with the bag option. I know our cat spent his time growling and hissing at everyone when we brought him on a train.

A cat in a bag on a plane? Sounds like a Mr. Bean episode!

Hahaha....good one!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if i can bring my dog on a train. not a dart but the commuter trains. i checked the IE website but cant find any info on dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Hi CrowdedHouse,

Lufthansa is one airline that allows you to carry pets into the cabin. But they don't fly Dublin to UK. At least I don't think they do. I don't know if any of the British airlines allow pets in the cabin.

You may also have to check with Dept of Agriculture, (unless you've done so already) because as I know for pets coming from Europe, they have to go in the cargo, ie not in the cabin. But maybe the laws are not so strict for the UK. But do check with Dept of Agriculture first, a few times!

good luck, mica

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Micamaca wrote:
    You may also have to check with Dept of Agriculture, (unless you've done so already) because as I know for pets coming from Europe, they have to go in the cargo, ie not in the cabin. But maybe the laws are not so strict for the UK. But do check with Dept of Agriculture first, a few times!
    There are no restrictions on pets travelling between the UK and Ireland whatsoever, regardless of what transport mode is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Micamaca wrote:
    Hi CrowdedHouse,

Lufthansa is one airline that allows you to carry pets into the cabin. But they don't fly Dublin to UK. At least I don't think they do.
    good luck, mica

Thanks for that Mica-handy to know anyway

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

A cat in a bag on a plane? Sounds like a Mr. Bean episode.

doesnt have the same ring as "snakes on a plane"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sfinksas

if you travel between Ireland and UK- then Aer Arann airlines... If Ireland- Europe, then your pet could travel only in cargo. You have call to Dept of Agriculture and they will get all information about travel with animal, what papers you have to prepare (email: pets@agriculture.gov.ie ).
    if you will come from Europe with plane, then Lissenhall Kennels (phone:01-8900375) collect your cat from airport to check microchip. that cost 210 euro.
    If you travel with ferries, then you must choose only Irish ferries, because only they have VET control, which is free. (i mean to check microchip).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

sfinksas wrote:
    if you travel between Ireland and UK- then Aer Arann airlines... If Ireland- Europe, then your pet could travel only in cargo. You have call to Dept of Agriculture and they will get all information about travel with animal, what papers you have to prepare (email: pets@agriculture.gov.ie ).
    if you will come from Europe with plane, then Lissenhall Kennels (phone:01-8900375) collect your cat from airport to check microchip. that cost 210 euro.
    If you travel with ferries, then you must choose only Irish ferries, because only they have VET control, which is free. (i mean to check microchip).

I have travelled Stena Line several times with no problems with the dogs to UK, or are you referring to between france and Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

alexdenby6 wrote:
    sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if i can bring my dog on a train. not a dart but the commuter trains. i checked the IE website but cant find any info on dogs.

Taken from:
    http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/about_us/FAQ.asp

Q. Can pets travel on the train?
    A. Pets (with the exception of Guide dogs) are not allowed onto the DART or Suburban rail trains. They are allowed on Intercity trains.

If you travel internationally you must come into Ireland on Irish Ferries as they check the microchip. If you are only travelling between the UK and Ireland you may travel feely on any ferry company you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Alun wrote:
    There are no restrictions on pets travelling between the UK and Ireland whatsoever, regardless of what transport mode is used.

It depends on the airline to be honest, some airlines don't carry pets FULLSTOP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Demonique wrote:
    It depends on the airline to be honest, some airlines don't carry pets FULLSTOP
    I was actually referring to the fact that there are no legal restrictions like quarantine or having to be in the possession of a Pet's Passport if you transport an animal from the UK to Ireland, not as to whether a particular mode of transport actually carried pets. I'd have thought that was obvious. Anyway, why would you even consider flying an animal the short distance from the UK to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Alun wrote:
    Anyway, why would you even consider flying an animal the short distance from the UK to Ireland?

Probably depends on where you're going in the UK. A lot of people wouldn't consider NOT flying to London because of the perceived time saved whether they have a cat/dog with them or not. Ferry crossing to UK can take about 2-4 hours whether you go by normal ferry (think Irish Ferries Ulysses) or fast ferry (Irish Ferries Jonathan Swift). The last time I took a train from a UK ferry port to London the train journey was 6 hours (but that was about 13 years ago, probably faster now).
    Flying Dublin-London or vice versa is about 1 hour with about 2-3 hours waiting around in airport before departure.
    For many people the time saved is more important than money saved (or the cost to the environment).

Of course, if your going to Wales or West UK or are travelling with an animal other than a cat or a dog (some airlines with only carry cats and dogs) it's better to travel by ferry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

I'm an Iata cargo agent and part of my job is to check
    animals before they go on to the plane for cargo but
    the same rules apply for them to be checked in as baggage.

You will need a carrier like this.
    http://www.ultimateanimals.co.uk/acatalog/Airline_approved_pet_carriers_Vari_kennels_dog_crates.html
    Solid top,sides and a door at the front.The animal will
    need to be able to stand up with out even its ear touching
    the top of the box,turn around and be able to lay down.
    You should contact your booking agent or the airline your
    using with regards to labeling.
    Here is all the rules regarding the carraige of cats and dogs.
    http://www.iata.org/NR/rdonlyres/0B9E3905-BCED-4AD2-9EAE-213E08D6E886/0/LAR_33rd_CR1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

i wouldnt do the ferry crossing france ireland with a dog simpoly because 20 hours in a kennel is cruel.

Advertisement