Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

another roundabout query!!

Options
  • 24-08-2007 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

How about some expert option on this scenario.

Coming up to a roundabout, there's two lanes.
    On the diagram attached is it legal for the red car (red line) to come up to the
    Roundabout in the right hand lane and take the first exit i.e. exit directly to the left.

The left hand exit is only one lane but at the start of it there is a little kind of merging Triangle with an arrow on it.

So Is it legal for the cars in the right hand land to cut across the left hand lane and use this triangle to merge in with the cars coming from the left hand lane and turning left.(blue line). Bearing in mind the car in the left hand lane
    Have the right to go straight on as well as left.

Sorry for the bad diagram!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I don't think so. According to the RSA Rules of the Road Handbook you must stay in the left lane if taking the first two exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Absolutely not!

EOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

Illegal. Left lane is for straight through and left only. Right lane is for straight through and right only.

The left turn has two lanes because the opposite exit also follows the above rule, as do all the other exits/entry points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

So Is it legal for the cars in the right hand land to cut across the left hand lane and use this triangle to merge in with the cars coming from the left hand lane and turning left.(blue line). Bearing in mind the car in the left hand lane
    Have the right to go straight on
    as well as left.
    I've highlighted the reason why it cannot possibly be OK for cars in the RH lane to take the first exit. If the left lane was marked with a Left Only arrow then it might be allowable but it would be a very non-standard and confusing roundabout layout if this were the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

BrianD3 wrote:
    I've highlighted the reason why it cannot possibly be OK for cars in the RH lane to take the first exit. If the left lane was marked with a Left Only arrow then it might be allowable but it would be a very non-standard and confusing roundabout layout if this were the case.
    #

thanks guys, thats what i was thinking as well.

there's usally a queue of traffic in the left hand lane coming up to the roundabout so a lot of people go up the right hand lane which is usually
    quieter and then cut across the left hand lane at the exit and use this triangle to cut into the traffic. Basically just to skip the queue.

had an hour long arguement with a mate on this where he was saying
    the triangle thing is there to allows the cars to merge in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Are you sure the "triangle thing" isn't the Yield sign for cars coming onto the roundabout?

See edited pic. If the road markings do encourage merging after the exit, it is so that cars following the green line can merge with cars following the blue line.

If there was a 2 lane approach road at 3 o clock traffic coming from that direction might also need to merge at the same point

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It would be perfectly legal (but a bit cheeky) to go up the right hand lane, all the way around the roundabout and take the exit you are looking for. Gives you right of way over the traffic in the left lane.

Just to make it clear - I do not condone the above.

PS there may be a legal and safe way to jump the queue in the left hand lane in this instance. It is "unethical" though :)

edit: I see R.O.R. has let the cat out of the bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

Stark wrote:
    Are you sure the "triangle thing" isn't the Yield sign for cars coming onto the roundabout?

the 'triangle thing' is a triangle marking on the road, its not a sign.
    besides it on the road exiting the roundabout not coming onto it.

brianD3 - yes you are correct, the merging triangle is for the cars
    that are coming around the roundabout from the opposite side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Nice diagram JackBauer999. Almost as artistic as mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The left hand exit is only one lane but at the start of it there is a little kind of merging Triangle with an arrow on it.
    Do you mean white paint on the road surface extending beyond the traffic island?

As in a ghost island? like in front of the arrow here? http://www.squarewheels.org.uk/rly/DLRgenPhots/Lothbury.jpg

You are prohibited from driving on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

R.O.R wrote:
    It would be perfectly legal (but a bit cheeky) to go up the right hand lane, all the way around the roundabout and take the exit you are looking for. Gives you right of way over the traffic in the left lane.

Just to make it clear - I do not condone the above.

How's that cheeky, I used to do it all the time coming on the N4 toward the
    M50 roundabout when I wanted to go down to the tollbridge.
    Its perfectly OK to do, you're not breaking any rules of the road.

Note: it can't be done anymore....bloody upgraded road ;)

OP you drawings were funny, they made me laugh :D (no offence meant)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lafors wrote:
    How's that cheeky
    (a) it is queue jumping (that the Garda may see as conduct likely to lead to a breach of the peace) and (b) you potentially end up blocking the main part of the roundabout as opposed to a single left exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

It's crazy that there can be such lack of clarity for situations like this.

What if the car in the right lane did take the first exit but remained in the right lane? I know you are supposed to be in the left hand lane if you are taking the first exit but this looks like a dual carriage way to me so there would be no danger if both cars stayed in their lanes.

On the road through Finglas, where it goes under the M50 onto the N2, there are 3 lanes coming onto the roundabout, one is clearly marked left turn only but the other 2 have arrows pointing straight on and this continues all the way onto the N2, so, cars in both lanes can take the exit onto the N2 without crossing another lane.

Just a though :D

Also, why is the N2 a 120kphn zone and yet it is not a motorway?

Richie.

Advertisement