Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Convert to Auto

Options
  • 24-08-2007 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

The boss keeps wingeing at me she would like an auto Fiesta but they are hard to find for anything less than silly money.
    I reckon I could pick up a scrap auto box in the uk cheap and convert - anyone know how tough this might be ?

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Personally I wouldn't bother - too much hassle. Shift assembly's, possibly different drive shafts, reverse light wiring, gearbox mountings and God knows what else at the flywheel end of things. And then there's the possibilty of something being wrong with the scrappy box and you'd be questioning whether the box is at fault or if it was something you did in the conversion.

Like I said - lots of hassle...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Here are some things I can think of
    Bits you'll need : Box, torque converter , flywheel ,shifter , kickdown bits & more
    Driveshafts may be different . Hubs may not match auto driveshafts.
    Brake discs etc may be bigger on auto car.
    Engine may have different cam & fuel injection stuff ( to suit auto box ) .
    Auto box may have electronic control/kickdown etc.
    Exhaust routing may be different.
    It may not be so bad though , get a parts pdf for each of them and have a good look. If you were going to do it , it'd be easier to have a complete-ish auto car to swap bits from , its always the little things that catch you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

bushy... wrote:
    If you were going to do it , it'd be easier to have a complete-ish auto car to swap bits from , its always the little things that catch you.
    I wholeheartedly endorse this advice!
    This sort of 'heart transplant' stuff is immeasurably eased by having a complete (and ideally, still drivable) donor vehicle.
    Breaker's yard 'pulls' lead almost invariably to anguish and hair rending as obscure but essential parts are hunted down.

With a donor car, you'll at least have a VIN number for the parts man to help with the quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's possible to fit a servo to the clutch, a button on the gear lever is pressed when you want to change gear and it automatically balances the clutch for starting off. we did a few on 1.6 Avensis for disability, but it's no match for a proper automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It would be easier to make a left hooker into a right hooker!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

So true. And that's not an easy job either.

It's also quite possible that different engines are paired with slushmatic boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

And that's before you pay for the coke!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement