Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock Activation Error

Options
  • 24-08-2007 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Just bought Bioshock for the PC this morning and having trouble activating it. Cannot connect to server errors. Server overload? Anyone else having trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I've been trying all morning to activate it too. This online activation crap is stupid, 2K are treating their customers like criminals. I'm never buying another 2K game anyway.:mad:

It actually says "An unknown server error occured". The servers must be overloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

bugger I'm stuck at work...hope it's sorted before I get home..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Lord Oz wrote:
    I've been trying all morning to activate it too. This online activation crap is stupid, 2K are treating their customers like criminals. I'm never buying another 2K game anyway.:mad:
    Have you mailed them at all? I did but I am very doubtfull of a speedy reply from them. :(

I haven't tried emailing them yet, I don't like the idea of emailing out my cdkey. Besides, from what people are saying if you email Securom you'll just be told to contact 2K, and 2K will send you to Securom and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Howdy.

I havent been reading the bioshock thread because Ive lost internet in my apartment (im in an internet cafe). I just bought bioshock in Smyths (39.99 or 35.99 with loyalty card) and noticed below the specifications that you need to activate online. Is this similar to Quake 4 in that If you don't have internet you don't need to do it ?

As I said I dont have internet in my apartment and wont have for some time....does this mean I cant play the game ? If so, thats ridiculous. Is there any other way around it ? Can I ring them and activate over the phone ? Can I activate on another pc and then install it on my own pc ? Questions questions..

I'm afraid to take it out of the plastic to test it in case I cant return it.

The game won't start without activation. You have an option to activate by email but that doesn't work either. It's not like Quake 4 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Kick a$$. Just got mine going.

Tusky, could you bring your machine to a mates, activate and then just bring the machine home and play?

Lord Oz wrote:
    The game won't start without activation. You have an option to activate by email but that doesn't work either. It's not like Quake 4 at all.

So should I try the activate by email thing and hope that it works later on tonight or tomorrow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The email activation is your best bet. Failing that, I'm sure a crack will appear on the net in the next couple of days, and since you payed for the game, you don't have to feel guilty about using it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

take it back id say,sending your code via email would be dodgey,i've actually noiticed that quite a few games require you to activate the game online with a code,which is a load of bollox really!what happens if you dont have the net!your ****ed!!!! its a load of bollox :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Tusky wrote:
    As I said I dont have internet in my apartment and wont have for some time....does this mean I cant play the game ?

Pretty much. If I was at home, I'd offer to bring your PC to my house to install it, but I won't be back for another 3 weeks. Perhaps another boardsie would be able to accommodate you?

{EDIT} Didn't know about e-mail activation. How exactly does it work?

The activation is finally working. Tusky, when I installed the game you have to patch online as part of the installation, so I've no idea if it would even install without a net connection.

Despite the online activation you still need to have the disc inserted to play!

Pretty much. If I was at home, I'd offer to bring your PC to my house to install it, but I won't be back for another 3 weeks. Perhaps another boardsie would be so kind?

{EDIT} Didn't know about e-mail activation. How exactly does it work?

Cheers amigo :)

Bleh - How exactly does the email activation work ? Can I do that from an internet cafe and then bring it home and install it or do I still need to connect on installation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Tusky wrote:
    Cheers amigo :)

Bleh - How exactly does the email activation work ? Can I do that from an internet cafe and then bring it home and install it or do I still need to connect on installation ?

By all reports you need to download additional content when you install, so you will need net access at install time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

take it back id say,sending your code via email would be dodgey,i've actually noiticed that quite a few games require you to activate the game online with a code,which is a load of bollox really!what happens if you dont have the net!your ****ed!!!! its a load of bollox :mad:
    I'm sure if you offer an alternative means to combat piracy to the companies that doesn't require the net they'd take it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

steam started all this online activation nonsense,i bought the game why cant i just ****ing play it?!,glad i went with the 360 version now, console gaming 1, pc gaming 0 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I'm sure if you offer an alternative means to combat piracy to the companies that doesn't require the net they'd take it up.

there should be nothing employed to stop piracy, people are generally decent and will pay for good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MooseJam wrote:
    there should be nothing employed to stop piracy, people are generally decent and will pay for good stuff
    lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wow, this takes me back to November 2004 and the release of Half-Life 2. I remember people ranting that they'd never buy another Valve game again back then as well.

lol.

• Advertisement

Galactic Civilizations 2 sold very well despite having no copy protection, and steam actually works and is a tested technology.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

MooseJam wrote:
    Its only terrorists who pirate games anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Kiith wrote:
    Its only terrorists who pirate games anyway :rolleyes:

why is everyone so cynical, i'd say at most 33% of people would pirate, they should just take the loss, measures only make hassle for their customers and don't reduce piracy just slow it down by a day or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

MooseJam wrote:
    why is everyone so cynical, i'd say at most 33% of people would pirate, they should just take the loss, measures only make hassle for their customers and don't reduce piracy just slow it down by a day or two

If I told you tomorrow I was cutting your wage by 33% would you "take the loss"?

Like it or not, piracy is a big deal.

All they need to do is delay it, gamers are an impatient bunch and most pirates will buy it if they can't crack it quickly. Of course, then there will be the real pirates (cheap bastards) that will excuse their piracy atop a fake moral highground preaching: "ZOMG, copy protection is wrong.... I'll teach you a lesson and pirate your game..." :rolleyes:.

Wooo!

Hauled my pc out to the family house, hooked it up and activated it. This game better be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

MooseJam wrote:

ha. i don't know what is more idiotic about this statement; the pie in the sky figure or the idea that publishers should just take the hit on the lost revenue.

go back to playing the game and stop talking crap.

:rolleyes:

I think the problem is that these days the pirates get a better experience than genuine customers. Genuine customer then rightly feels a bit browned off that he's being treated like the criminal for doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Stephen wrote:
    I think the problem is that these days the pirates get a better experience than genuine customers. Genuine customer then rightly feels a bit browned off that he's being treated like the criminal for doing the right thing.
    I never had that problem. I actually like the copy protection, especailly where multiplayer is involved in the game. Were you one of the people who complained about CD-keys originally too?

No, absolutely not. I'm all for CD keys and the like. I had no problem with Half-Life 2 requiring steam activation either. I don't want freeloaders in my multiplayer games either. I'm not talking just about games here.
    The problem is where the copy protection system reduces the value of the product. For instance you can't download high quality high bitrate music from itunes, but you sure can pirate it, and the pirated copy will be playable on any device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

People buy music...? Have only bought about one album in last 5 years

Advertisement