Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock Activation Error

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

People buy music...? Have only bought about one album in last 5 years
    Then why should people even bother making music any more?
    Not everybody out there is as morally dead as you (and yes, I download lots of music as well, but I also spend thousands of euro a year on it...)

I personally have had no problems with the Bioshock activation compared to the initial HL2 activation (that was a lot of fun on dialup:p )
    http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/home.html
    It's not like they're just ignoring this issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

tman wrote:
    Not everybody out there is as morally dead as you

:eek: how about giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, he didn't mention downloading, maybe he just bought one album is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Fair enough, i'm an asshole if I'm wrong...
    somehow doubt that's what he meant though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

People buy music...? Have only bought about one album in last 5 years

This is the problem with piracy. I have no bother with the occasional download, but people who just download everything are disgraceful. There are some bands, developers, films which barely break-even, and they deserve to do well, so I feel like you just have to support them - BioShock being one example, independent films / bands another.

Does it really break the bank to buy the occasional great cd or game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

dude don't you watch mtv cribs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

so I feel like you just have to support them - BioShock being one example, independent films / bands another.

yes you do but then they make the product unusable to the buyer your left with little choice but to pirate it.

Pes6 on pc only worked when you used a no cd crack that removed Securom, game was unplayable with it.

Bioshock is also the same "a mate" couldnt activate it so downloaded it and got a crack to play it.

He cba getting help from 2k as they produced the error knowingly so he bypassed them and is now happily playing the game cracked.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Getting a lot of bioshock.exe has stoped working bollox im not pleased at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

It's funny how you always hear about people who know all about piracy and cracks running into trouble with copy protection and being 'forced' to pirate, yet you much more rarely hear about people who've never had anything to do with piracy running into trouble and being forced not to play the game at all. I find copy protection works fine for most people who don't have an agenda against it.

It can cause problems sometimes but it's not nearly as widespread as some people like to claim. I personally have never had an issue with any copy protection (and I've had starforce installed) and I know a lot of people who can say the same.

Edit: Talking about people who say the protection software broke their game and such - there are of course often big waiting times for online activation for games like this and Half Life when the server load is heavy, but it's fair to say it's not as big a wait as downloading a full 5 gig game or whatever Bioshock is so I don't see that as a reasonable excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

As I predicted in the other thread, they seem to intend to remove the activation/DRM at some point:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/24/joystiq-interviews-bioshocks-ken-levine-about-success-and-harve/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Stephen wrote:
    Wow, this takes me back to November 2004 and the release of Half-Life 2. I remember people ranting that they'd never buy another Valve game again back then as well.

lol.
    'lol' if you must, but I haven't bought anything from Steam since HL2... tbh they can cram it up their hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

steviec wrote:
    It's funny how you always hear about people who know all about piracy and cracks running into trouble with copy protection and being 'forced' to pirate, yet you much more rarely hear about people who've never had anything to do with piracy running into trouble and being forced not to play the game at all. I find copy protection works fine for most people who don't have an agenda against it.

It can cause problems sometimes but it's not nearly as widespread as some people like to claim. I personally have never had an issue with any copy protection (and I've had starforce installed) and I know a lot of people who can say the same.

Edit: Talking about people who say the protection software broke their game and such - there are of course often big waiting times for online activation for games like this and Half Life when the server load is heavy, but it's fair to say it's not as big a wait as downloading a full 5 gig game or whatever Bioshock is so I don't see that as a reasonable excuse.

Pro Evo 6 does not work when Securom is present in the EXE, when it came out it was easy to spot the pirates they were the ones playing it fine. So the customer was punished....make sense?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

KdjaCL wrote:
    Pro Evo 6 does not work when Securom is present in the EXE, when it came out it was easy to spot the pirates they were the ones playing it fine. So the customer was punished....make sense?

kdjac

I don't have the PC version of the game, but are you saying every single copy of the game, straight out of the box, just didn't work? And it was sold that way? With no recall?

I find that very hard to believe.

Edit: Googling for 'Pro Evolution Soccer 6 securom' lists nothing but tons of torrent and crack sites, rather than the many tech support forums and games blogs and news sites that would surely be swarming with the story if it was true...

Advertisement