Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with car radio install etc- garage

Options
  • 24-08-2007 3:15pm

this week I dropped my car into a garage to get a radio installed in it.
    I provided the guy with the radio, the wires and a cubby holder box that I had also bought that fits under the radio. When I came back, the guy had wired up the radio but said that the box wasn't for the car and therefore he had just loosely stuck it above (it's supposed to go under) the radio. It doesn't look well. I foolishly paid him 60 euro and didn't ask for a receipt. I subsequently found out that the cubby box does fit the car but that it has to be installed from the back - i.e. some of the dash has to be removed to do it. This guy, who is supposed to be a professional, didn't cop this or was too lazy to do it.
    In addition, the guy had somehow knocked off my left wing mirror of my car when I came back t but when I got there it was bandaged up. He said that he had put it back on, but that this bandage stuff was required for a couple of days to make it "set". I can now no longer adjust my mirror and it's at the incorrect angle to acutally see behind me.
    Do i have recourse to the small claims in this instance? I'm going back to get a receipt before I complain obviously.

Comments

Any advice on what to do please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Regarding the mirror, it's not acceptable that he tried to fix it himself in such a manner. Get some quotes from professionals - see if a new mirror is needed or if it can be fixed - and tell him he owes you that much.

Then politely (but firmly) demand a refund (or discount) for the un-professional job done on the radio installation.

If he refuses one or both of these requests, the the small claims court might be an option.

Personally, I'd then take my business elsewhere to get the box fitted properly. When someoneone displays such incompetence, on top of causing damage to your car, I don't see the point in trying to get them to fix their own mistakes. It only gives them the opportunity to make a bigger mess.

Oh, and always get a receipt - but you know that now :) ...

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Not to sound like an asshole, but he showed you the work you agreed it was okay and paid him. Then he showed you the mirror, and you let him off, thereby agreeing to his repair. You should have made your concerns known at the time, and not paid.

For what it's worth, if he's a resonable guy he might see sense and sort you out.

he did say that the box was wrong for the car - only that I checked it up myself later I wouldn't have known.
    Also - wing mirror situation was not clear until I took off the bandaging stuff 2 days later...

Advertisement