Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options after repeats

Options
  • 24-08-2007 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering what options i would have after repeats should I fail? I've heard I can take a year out and repeat at xmas/summer for about €100 but with no access to DIT facilities or I can repeat the year for around 2 grand. What i'm wondering is if i was to repeat the year would I have to repeat all my subjects or just the ones I failed at repeats?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

grimm2005 wrote:
    Hey,

Just wondering what options i would have after repeats should I fail? I've heard I can take a year out and repeat at xmas/summer for about €100 but with no access to DIT facilities or I can repeat the year for around 2 grand. What i'm wondering is if i was to repeat the year would I have to repeat all my subjects or just the ones I failed at repeats?

Thanks

I was always under the impression that you only have to repeat the ones you failed if you repeat the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

totally depends on the course and it's school and depends on how many subjects you've failed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Depends on how many subjects you have in total, and how many of them you failed.

I think its that if you fail more than half the course then you have to repeat them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I'm in comp. science. I had 3 exams at xmas (and 1 continuous assessment subject) and failed 1 and 6 at summer and failed 2 so i've failed 3/10 in total, and am repeating them next week but atm im not feelin too confident bout em so thought I better find out what my options after would be and knowing DIT i'd be waiting ages for an official response

grimm2005 wrote:
    I'm in comp. science. I had 3 exams at xmas (and 1 continuous assessment subject) and failed 1 and 6 at summer and failed 2 so i've failed 3/10 in total, and am repeating them next week but atm im not feelin too confident bout em so thought I better find out what my options after would be and knowing DIT i'd be waiting ages for an official response

Are you in 1st year or 2nd year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

If you fail less than 60% of your subjects you pay a discount price, and you can repeat the failed stubjects. I've been told that the price will vary from year to year and special circumstances can be taken in to account. You should get in contact with the head of your course or school after the repeats. I may have to repeat about half of my subjects next year if things go wron during the repeats, so I was given an estimation of about €1800 for half of them.

hmmm, ok. I'm in first year. I presume that 1800 would include the 800 registration fee? or is that aswell as the 800?

Yeah, that includes registration afaik. If it doesn't, I'm ****ed.

just so you know that 800 reg fee has gone up to 825 this year.

grimm2005 wrote:
    hmmm, ok. I'm in first year. I presume that 1800 would include the 800 registration fee? or is that aswell as the 800?

What subjects did you fail?

• Advertisement

programming, maths and problem solving

Ha! Minus the Programming, that's what I failed last year. Do you have Lawlor for Problem Solving? Studied hard for maths, did well enough and passed problem solving on compensation.

I can't remember. Does anyone know how Lawlor goes about his repeat exams? I've heard mixed reviews and I can't remember from last year. His exams are usually the exact same as they were to some previous year, but I've also heard that his exams are a lot harder for the repeats. Anyone any info?

Binomate wrote:
    Ha! Minus the Programming, that's what I failed last year. Do you have Lawlor for Problem Solving? Studied hard for maths, did well enough and passed problem solving on compensation.

I can't remember. Does anyone know how Lawlor goes about his repeat exams? I've heard mixed reviews and I can't remember from last year. His exams are usually the exact same as they were to some previous year, but I've also heard that his exams are a lot harder for the repeats. Anyone any info?

Lawlors repeat exams for 2nd year are completely different to the summer exams and require alot more studying. Last year in the repeats he had a question on link lists.

yeah, i had lawlor for problem solving and algorithm design. He seems pretty reasonable. he bumped me up a few marks for algorithm design to allow me to pass.

Programmings my main worry. I got pretty useless at it in the second semester. Realisticly i shuda put more work into it but im hoping i can scrape a pass in the repeats.

Maths im not too sure about. I think if i just go over the notes and do the whole summer paper i should be able to get thru it.

On a side note I also failed the continous assessment module communications and personal development and submitted a repeat paper last march. I put a lot of work into it though so I'm definite i passed that (when i emailed her bout it she said shed have them marked by august but i havnt heard ne thing since so i presume thatll come with my repeat results)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

grimm2005 wrote:
    yeah, i had lawlor for problem solving and algorithm design. He seems pretty reasonable. he bumped me up a few marks for algorithm design to allow me to pass.

Programmings my main worry. I got pretty useless at it in the second semester. Realisticly i shuda put more work into it but im hoping i can scrape a pass in the repeats.

Maths im not too sure about. I think if i just go over the notes and do the whole summer paper i should be able to get thru it.

On a side note I also failed the continous assessment module communications and personal development and submitted a repeat paper last march. I put a lot of work into it though so I'm definite i passed that (when i emailed her bout it she said shed have them marked by august but i havnt heard ne thing since so i presume thatll come with my repeat results)
    Hey man, am also in 1st yr and failed maths, prob solving and business, i think prob solving shud be ok coz if u look at xmas paper on lawlors page and the 2006 one most questions are identical lol, also theres a full solution up there, im just learning that paper and hoping lol,

Nick

i've heard problem solving autumn papers are a lot tougher so if you're banking on just learning the summer paper then you may be out of luck.

would it not be an idea to at least get the autumn papers for the said subject and judge it by that?

Cremo wrote:
    i've heard problem solving autumn papers are a lot tougher so if you're banking on just learning the summer paper then you may be out of luck.

would it not be an idea to at least get the autumn papers for the said subject and judge it by that?
    :confused: What autumn papers? I passed algos at summer just failed prob solving at xmas, if u check his homepage http://www.comp.dit.ie/rlawlor/Prob_Solv/index.html u can see down @ the bottom the exams have simular questions, i dont see why his rpts would be any different, its only a 1hr 30min exam so its not too long :o

Nick

autumn papers = repeats as you sit them in autumn, a more PC term if you will ;)

If I was a lecturer i'd do what he supposeidly does and make repeats harder.

He does have a good system with the summer exams in that they are very similar to previous years.

He use to have his autumn papers up online but they don't seem to be there anymore so it's hard to make the comparrison.

Coz the semester craic is new he prob took em down, in fairness i dont see why he'd change his act for repeats but nyways well see on the day

Nick

Lawlor is known for having harder repeats.

Don't blame him though because his summer exams are simple if you put even a small bit of effort in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

His summer exams are Identical nearly! At least the one I took was it only had one question differing from the previous years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 metoyou

doin his repeat as well tomorrow....
    am stickin wit our summer exam... was identical to 2006 paper, hopefully will be along the same lines tomorrow

metoyou wrote:
    doin his repeat as well tomorrow....
    am stickin wit our summer exam... was identical to 2006 paper, hopefully will be along the same lines tomorrow

If it was identical to his 2006 paper then why didn't you pass?

I can't understand how people fail subjects like this which are simple to pass with the slightest bit of studying.

TBH your in for a shock if you make it into second year.

orla wrote:
    If it was identical to his 2006 paper then why didn't you pass?

I can't understand how people fail subjects like this which are simple to pass with the slightest bit of studying.

TBH your in for a shock if you make it into second year.
    Well we clearly didnt know until after :P And due to the fact it was semesterised:
    Sem 1: Prob Solving
    Sem 2: Algos
    It would have made it less obvious the past yrs were the same, considering all the study i did was off his notes to begin with,

Nick

yoyo wrote:
    Well we clearly didnt know until after :P And due to the fact it was semesterised:
    Sem 1: Prob Solving
    Sem 2: Algos
    It would have made it less obvious the past yrs were the same, considering all the study i did was off his notes to begin with,

Nick

Well if you looked at previous exams papers you would know his style. :p

well was it similar, easier, harder. i'm curious to know :D

Wasnt easy, wast hard and a few simular ;P Think i got the pass nyways

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Hi I'm actually in DCU, but thought I'd post a Q here aswell sure!

Anyway....im doin science and i reckon i failed the majority of my repeat exams, BUT i passed all of my labs with good marks....my question is: if i do fail the modules will i ALSO have to repeat the Labs???

im very confused about this!!

tried emailing the lecturers and people associated with this, but no reply.....lazy bastards!
    well any help would be great, thanks!

ste

erm ask in the DCU forum we wouldn't have a clue to the set of crazy rules they may have.

• Advertisement

I found the prob solving exam to be very similar to xmas. There were also a handful that were identical

Advertisement