Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options after repeats

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yeah it wasnt too bad m8, who is this btw?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

conor (not english but the other one; I'd rather not have my online anonymity taken from me, u never no whos lurking round theses boards :rolleyes: )

the exam was pretty achievable altho i still reckon i failed simply cos i focused too much on programming and spent little time learnin off the answers to the xmas exam. but sure u learn from ure mistakes

i take it this is nick, the question is which one? :confused:

Hi man, I guess I know who it is :) Have a guess at mi surname I'll give ya a hint it begins with R :) , I agree about the exam man it was pritty the usuall, nothin really changed , Maths today went well aswell, am sure I passed the yoke which is good, I'm sure nyway,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 michelle.shelle

hey

Along with half of my class i failed exams in my second yr but that was before it was semesterised so we had to repeat the whole exam so count your self lucky as with semesterisation you only have to repeat the module you failed. i failed 3 in the summer and passed 2 of them in the repeats. so i repeated the 1 exam externally for 100 euro. I passed this in the summer exams. some of my friends failed 5 and one failed 7 exams. if you repeat internally you have to pay full fees (as the 800 we pay is aparently 'free education' subsidised by the government) which was around 2500 or 3000. as it is semesterised you may only have to pay half this, im not sure, how ever if you fail 1 exam from 1st and 1 from 2nd semester you will have to repeat both semesters so prob will have to pay full fees. i think if you have your notes your better of to do it at home yourself and pay the 100 euro!

some of my friends passed in the summer and others failed again and had to do the autumn repeats (for the 4th time) for another hundred euro. most people passsed it the 4th time, Three people were let into 3rd yr even though they failed one exam so in 3rd yr they had to sit their 3rd yr exams and one 2nd yr exams, they were not aloud recieve their 3rd yr results til they passed the 2nd year exams which unfortunally one girl didnt. but one of them got a 1st in his finals last yr. just put the head down and try to pass now but to be honest failing them twice and passing the 3rd time was the best thing that happened to me cos i was soooo lazy and when i went back i was way more motivated and did very well, im now doing a PhD, so there is hope for us all....

P.S. You can get the repeat papers in the library,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 michelle.shelle

steo87 wrote:
    Hi I'm actually in DCU, but thought I'd post a Q here aswell sure!

Anyway....im doin science and i reckon i failed the majority of my repeat exams, BUT i passed all of my labs with good marks....my question is: if i do fail the modules will i ALSO have to repeat the Labs???

im very confused about this!!

tried emailing the lecturers and people associated with this, but no reply.....lazy bastards!
    well any help would be great, thanks!

ste
    hey, have friends in dcu that failed just an exam, no you wont have to repeat labs, just exams failed which means you can repeat externally for just the price of the exam normally about 100 euro. if you failed labs that would mean you would have to go back and pay full fees cos you would have to be in college. hope that was of help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

ok, im finished the repeats now and want to get in touch with department head to find out what i have to do/pay if i fail certain subs etc. Only thing is im not sure who it is!

Heres the staff page:
    http://www.comp.dit.ie/website06/staffs.asp?clicked=All

If someone could kindly point out who i should be getting in contact with id greatly appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

The head of the school of computing is Brendan O'Shea.

[edit] I think.

Sara Jane Delaney is the course co ordinater so i think maybe her to get in contact with,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Or Bing Wu.

third floor office where the secratary of school of computing is, will point you in the correct direction. think it's A-323.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

hey

Along with half of my class i failed exams in my second yr but that was before it was semesterised so we had to repeat the whole exam so count your self lucky as with semesterisation you only have to repeat the module you failed. i failed 3 in the summer and passed 2 of them in the repeats. so i repeated the 1 exam externally for 100 euro. I passed this in the summer exams. some of my friends failed 5 and one failed 7 exams. if you repeat internally you have to pay full fees (as the 800 we pay is aparently 'free education' subsidised by the government) which was around 2500 or 3000. as it is semesterised you may only have to pay half this, im not sure, how ever if you fail 1 exam from 1st and 1 from 2nd semester you will have to repeat both semesters so prob will have to pay full fees. i think if you have your notes your better of to do it at home yourself and pay the 100 euro!

some of my friends passed in the summer and others failed again and had to do the autumn repeats (for the 4th time) for another hundred euro. most people passsed it the 4th time, Three people were let into 3rd yr even though they failed one exam so in 3rd yr they had to sit their 3rd yr exams and one 2nd yr exams, they were not aloud recieve their 3rd yr results til they passed the 2nd year exams which unfortunally one girl didnt. but one of them got a 1st in his finals last yr. just put the head down and try to pass now but to be honest failing them twice and passing the 3rd time was the best thing that happened to me cos i was soooo lazy and when i went back i was way more motivated and did very well, im now doing a PhD, so there is hope for us all....

P.S. You can get the repeat papers in the library,

I have a headache after reading all of that. Wouldn't it be just soooooooooooo much easier for people to just study, pass exams, have the whole summer off, study, pass exams, have the whole summer off. And pass through each year without all the above hassle. I had 3 repeats in my second year. I passed them and vowed never to have another summer of worrying about repeats again. Not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

hey, i see some 2nd year 228 people are posting on here:

i had a repeat in data comms and got pretty viciously raped. if it's only one class you're repeating you have year 3 as normal + 1 extra class, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

conanm wrote:

i had a repeat in data comms and got pretty viciously raped. if it's only one class you're repeating you have year 3 as normal + 1 extra class, right?

Yep, and with Data Comms you won't start until after christmas. It means you won't be able to do work placement though. (Well thats if you want to attend classes -which you should). I have all the notes though so just give me a shout if ya need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

conanm wrote:

That might not be the case. The exact rules for carrying subjects are:
    DIT wrote:
    b)Candidates who fail to satisfy the requirements of a) in their entirety may, at the discretion of the Progression and Award Board, be permitted to proceed to the following stage, by the process of Compensation, provided they have achieved an overall average mark of at least 40% where the individual marks contributing to that average are weighted according to the number of ECTS credits attributed to each module.

c)Normally, candidates will not be permitted to proceed to and take a module until they have satisfied the examiners or gained exemption from any designated module which is a pre-requisite for that module as prescribed in the programme of study.

d)The Progression and Award Board may at its discretion permit a student to progress to the next stage of a programme, where the candidate has obtained not less than 50 ECTS credits, in which case re-assessment opportunites will be provided during that next stage

So basically carrying a subject is allowed at the discretion of the Progression and Award Board. If you fail a subject at the repeat and want to carry it then your best bet is to plead your case with the course Chair (Brendan O'Shea for 228). He has alot of sway in allowing a student to carry a subject from one year to the next.

If there are any problems you can pop into the union offices opposite the snackery and have a chat with the Student Support Advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

Dunners wrote:
    That might not be the case. The exact rules for carrying subjects are:

So basically carrying a subject is allowed at the discretion of the Progression and Award Board. If you fail a subject at the repeat and want to carry it then your best bet is to plead your case with the course Chair (Brendan O'Shea for 228). He has alot of sway in allowing a student to carry a subject from one year to the next.

If there are any problems you can pop into the union offices opposite the snackery and have a chat with the Student Support Advisor.

Thanks for the replies lads.

I did quite well overall in the other subjects, i'd say I averaged at least 40%. Dunno if I even failed the repeat, but I'm worried.

Anyway I'll get onto my man O'Shea if things go bad! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

Don't forget the union is there if you need any help or the likes!

Advertisement