Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stun Guns

Options
  • 24-08-2007 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

While clockwatching and dossing on boards I saw a banner advertisement at the head of this forum page advertising stunguns for sale.

It is an American site but led me to ponder the legality of these items in Ireland?

I know that this is strictly not a shooting topic, but the fact that Boards.ie authorities are pitching these goods at us here makes me a little uneasy.

Do these fall under the offensive weapons act or what is their status?

I would be grateful if anobody out there can clarify this for me.

Roll on 5 o'clock.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

Not legal at all. Offensive weapons is what they are classed as.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not just offensive - prohibited. For legal purposes, they're classed in with mace and pepper spray. From the firearms act:
    the expression "prohibited weapon" means and includes any weapon of whatever description designed for the discharge of any noxious liquid, noxious gas, or other noxious thing, and also any ammunition (whether for any such weapon as aforesaid or for any other weapon) which contains or is designed or adapted to contain any noxious liquid, noxious gas, or other noxious thing

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Then follows my next question....

What are boards.ie doing here, facilitating (and probably receiving payment for) the advertisement of contraband and illegal weapons?

This is clearly an Irish site, geared towards Irish people, the same country where these stun guns are illegal....!

>>> there are the pigeons, here goes the cat in among them>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Those ads are automaticly generated by google and are merely matching 'gun' on the Shooting forum with 'stungun' in the ad. Clicking on the "ads by google" bit brings you to a dialogue where you can report the ad content as inappropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote:
    Not just offensive - prohibited. For legal purposes, they're classed in with mace and pepper spray. From the firearms act:

though you can actually get a licence for a prohibited weapon and there is a set fee for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Was there not a case a few years back where a bunch of gardai were stopped at an airport returning from Germany with stunguns, telescopic batons cans of mace and the like?
    I wonder what happened to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Really a predictable outcome!

They received a slap on the back of the hand, no disciplinary action taken.

It was deemed that they acquired them with no malicious intent in mind, therefore they were let off scott free.

Me wonders if you or I turned up at Dublin Airport with Mace, expandable batons and stun guns would we be afforded the same understanding!!!! I don’t think so.
    The items while defined under the 1990 Firearms and offensive weapons Act can still be acquired however a authorisation would most probably be required.

Advertisement