Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on repeating

Options
  • 24-08-2007 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all. First off I'm sorry for making yet another of these threads, but I really need your help. I did the Leaving back in 2006 and pretty much had no idea what i wanted to do college. I eventually did Science TCD but dropped out. I've thought it over and have decided my dream course would be veterinary medicine in UCD. I don't have enough points for this so i plan on repeating this year. I need help on picking subjects for the year. Here are my 2006 results:

English - A1
    Biology - A1
    Maths - B1
    Chemistry - B2
    Economics - B2
    French - C2
    Irish (ordinary level) - B3
    Total points=510

I plan on dropping irish and french and so will need to take up another 2. I'm looking for subjects that can be done in 1 year, have achievable A1s (I'm obviously willing to put in a lot of work), and that would play to my strengths. My favourite subject is probably biology and i've heard that home economics and ag science are both quite similar to it. I've also heard that business is a good one. Does anyone have any experience with these subjects or have any other suggestions?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

If you are good at repetition work, Business could be easily done in 3-4 months, leaving 5 months for revision with good time management.

Mind, you only have to do 6 subjects, so do:

English,
    Biology,
    Maths,
    Chemistry, ( Not much of an upgrade )
    Economics ( an easy A1 with a little bit of work )
    Business ( Some Business and Economics overlap )

You don't have to get all A's, you can afford an A2 or B1, and if Maths goes Bad, then it's not too bad. Look at it this way:

Get A1's in English, Biology, Economics and Chemistry, that's 400 points. Get a B1 in Maths ( Very easily ) and a B1 in Business, which makes 570 which is more than enough for your course, so it's very doable and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Crestfallen

Thanks for the reply Lucas. I know i only have to do 6 subjects but I'd really prefer to do 7, just to give me a bit of a safety net in case one of the subjects serves up a nightmare paper.
    Yeah I've heard similar things about business and thought it was pretty handy for the Junior Cert, so it's definitely something I'm looking into.
    Anyone else have any info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Even in a Nightmare paper, thats for people who don't study all the material and they get a shock, I'd really advise doing 6, especially since you already have done the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

If you are repeating for Veterinary Medicine, you should definately go out on work experience with a vet. I did in fourth year and discovered that its a horrible life they have to live. Imagine being called during your christmas dinner with your family because someone has fed their dog a bit too much at christmas time and the dog is sick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Do business, it's very similar to economics. Don't do Home Ec unless you're prepared to put in some work and also if you don't have someone's project on hand, don't do Ag Science either.

• Advertisement

Yeah, don't do the Home ec, you'll have a whole logs book to do as well as the whole course. Not a good idea at all considering you can't copy the logs book from years before.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Business is grand, I did Ag Sc in a year nd got the old A1, I was really into it though. God, that sounds suspicious. If you're into animals do Ag Science. Home Ec is a lot of hard wok geddit with an A1 attached

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

UCD is an NUI so you'll need Irish - am I correct in saying though that you can carry the subject requirement from a different year but not the points from that subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

sdonn_1 wrote:
    UCD is an NUI so you'll need Irish - am I correct in saying though that you can carry the subject requirement from a different year but not the points from that subject?
    Indeed, so the OP need only do Irish if s/he thinks he can count on it as a subject for high points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Crestfallen

sdonn_1 wrote:
    Yeah, you would indeed. I have all of the subject requirements met and am only doing it for the points.

Thanks for the input people, business sounds like the way to go.
    Has anyone else here repeated the Leaving? How realistic does it sound to go from 510 to 550?
    Also, has anyone here gone to the Institute? Does it live up to its reputation?

• Advertisement

Crestfallen, have you done work experience with a vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I was repeating for physio + had similar subjects first time out. I took up Business + home ec. I got an A2 + an A1. Definitley do business, + I'd recommend H.Ec cause if you're anything like me you'll be flying once the cookery booklet is out of the way. Where I repeated we did the cooking on saturdays at the start, + had the booklets done by the end of october + we had the rest of the year to get to grips with the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Coco88

Hi all. First off I'm sorry for making yet another of these threads, but I really need your help. I did the Leaving back in 2006 and pretty much had no idea what i wanted to do college. I eventually did Science TCD but dropped out. I've thought it over and have decided my dream course would be veterinary medicine in UCD. I don't have enough points for this so i plan on repeating this year. I need help on picking subjects for the year. Here are my 2006 results:

English - A1
    Biology - A1
    Maths - B1
    Chemistry - B2
    Economics - B2
    French - C2
    Irish (ordinary level) - B3
    Total points=510

I plan on dropping irish and french and so will need to take up another 2. I'm looking for subjects that can be done in 1 year, have achievable A1s (I'm obviously willing to put in a lot of work), and that would play to my strengths. My favourite subject is probably biology and i've heard that home economics and ag science are both quite similar to it. I've also heard that business is a good one. Does anyone have any experience with these subjects or have any other suggestions?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have examine what you have said . You have said that your desire to endeavour and obtain into veterinary medicine in UCD. And you have said once more “I plan on dropping Irish and French and so will need to take up another 2” but you have to have these two topics to get into a university . Just try harder . Its idiotic talk your discussion . You have no idea what you have to have to obtain to obtain into veterinary at all . ***Requirements***
    Coco

Advertisement