Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velomobiles

Options
  • 24-08-2007 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

Been reading up on these crazy looking trikes. Would seriously consider one and retire/sell one of the cars if it worked out.
    They're pricey, but I've done the math and the cost would be covered by 12-18mths of driving in my commuting car. And of course, selling advertising would also help!!!

Google finds loads of details on the brands/styles.

Anyone ever tried one or know of someone with one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ashj

Dublin City Centre is covered in them since the EcoCabs were introduced here.
    Maybe ask one of those dudes if you can have a go!

There are Sinclair C5s on ebay quite often, but mostly in Ingerland, and there's no way you're gonna post one of those yokes

I don't understand why you'd get one of those and not just a bicycle? At least in a bike you can cycle at the side of the road, and not really get in the way...
    If you need to carry loads of stuff on your bike you could always get a trailer, or an xtracycle...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I like the idea of being out of the weather, and the aerodynamics of them is appealing as I'm a bit 'broad shouldered' for the head winds.

Also, some come with a hyrid electric motor for hills, and I reckon it could be handy as a medium distance commuting vehicle.

I guess I'm just searching for a new toy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

ashj wrote:
    Dublin City Centre is covered in them since the EcoCabs were introduced here.
    Maybe ask one of those dudes if you can have a go!

There are Sinclair C5s on ebay quite often, but mostly in Ingerland, and there's no way you're gonna post one of those yokes

I don't understand why you'd get one of those and not just a bicycle? At least in a bike you can cycle at the side of the road, and not really get in the way...
    If you need to carry loads of stuff on your bike you could always get a trailer, or an xtracycle...

What's an xtracycle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xtracycle
    It is also called a Free Radical...

Here's a few images of what I'm talking about on velomobiles.....
    http://www.bluevelo.com/page2.html
    http://www.bluevelo.com/VERSATILE.html
    http://www.bluevelo.com/go-one.html

The 'rickshaw' types in use in city centre Dublin aren't what I mean.
    It's more an interest in a cool looking human powered (aerodynamic) vehicle than a need to carry more stuff on my own normal bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

They wouldn't work in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah - could you imaging being on a road in one of those? lower down than a cyclist, no way of hopping onto a kerb to get out of the way....
    looks wicked cool, but thanks but no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I love the look of these things but I don't think they'd be very practical. Sorry to be negative - I've never used one. Your prices are more reasonable than I expected; I'd looked at (without ever seriously considering) these ones

http://www.twike.co.uk/Start.html

You're weather proof but you don't have the maneuverability or view or hearing of a bike and you're very vulnerable on the road where you'll possibly hold up traffic.

Still, if it doubled up as a bed it might be good for touring;)

*edit* And it might be difficult to steal but awkward to park

I'd agree that they're not suitable for city centre traffic, but I don't consider that while living out in commuterville. I can avoid the main traffic (using the motorways) by cruising along on back roads to an outer city business park.

The Twike would be a better option - I'll agree - but that price is a deterrent.
    :eek:

But maybe one day, oil will run out and they will become a mass produced product.......<holding my breath>

I think I'd have to agree with oobydooby here :eek:
    To me, Velomobiles have all of the disadvantages of a bike together with all of the disadvantages of a car!
    They're arkward, take up a lot of space on the road (no sneaking inside cars, and harder for people to overtake you) - not as manouverable...
    Not as secure as a car (its unlikely, but they could be stolen, or someone could rob your stuff)
    But as vunerable as a bicycle on the road
    ...ad infinitum.

Sorry to be so negative! The only good thing about them as far as I'm concerned is that it is a beautiful thing to be out on the open road without an engine.
    Most of my negative points come from spending too much time on a bike in city centre traffic I guess!
    Let us know what decision you come to :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement