Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staunton

• 24-08-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Anyone beginning to rethink their opinion of the man?

I mean if you all still think he's rubbish then ask yourselves:

What do you think of all the new players he's brought in?

What would you be saying if you switched one result - the cyprus game - and we were two points clear in second place?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I am happy with the way things are turning around, but at the same time im not sure how much credit i can really give him for the quality thats coming through. Its not like he's plucked these players from obscurity, we just have good young players. I still think the tactics in the earlier matches were an absolute shambles, they were good players who didnt know what they were meant to be doing. This has improved, which is to be expected, and some of the younger players are developing nicely, like Potter, Long, McShane etc.

He's improved, which was much needed, but the easly criticisms were all still fully deserved. Hopefully he can keep this recent trend up anyway (we'll really see in the competitive matches) and we can realistically challenge for the Euro's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I still think I'd be worried about a few of his decisions. He has been thrown into the deep end without enough experience really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think he should not have gotten the job in the first place.

He seems to be learning his trade alright, but qualification for an International Tournament is NOT the place to do that.

If we qualify for the Euros, fair play to him but it will be after the FAI taking a massive gamble that they should not have taken.

And he still makes genuinely mystifying decisions.

Some of the young players seem to be looking fairly encouraging alright, particularly Long, Potter, Mc Shane and Mc Geady. The emergence of Doyle being the most important thing about this campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Delaney OUT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it's hard to know, i kinda though early on that a better (or rather more experienced) manager would have put a bit more shape on the team quicker, it's been a slow process under Staunton, but he has also been badly let down at times by the individual performances of some players, particularly some of the more experienced heads.

tbh i'll keep my mouth shut on Stan til the end of the campaign. there's still along way to go, and now is the time when it all really matters, no more room for mistakes.

and someone definitely needs to teach him how to talk to the media still. he needs to be able to win them over if he's ever gonna last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Legend in his own right, moron in the dug out, he must go and shouldn't of been put there in the first place.

If they do manage not to throw away any small hope we have to make it, it won't have had much to do with ginger top as he doesn't really seem to know what's going on around him and as sad to say it people seem to be playing more for the sake of robbie keane than stan, maybe they have more respect for him.

He might also end up paying a price for the idiot behaviour of givens handling of stokes.

and if this thread was created on the back of the display on wed you probably need to watch it sober, or just watch it.

still though, it's the same old problem. if we were to get rid of stan tomorrow, who could we realistically get in to replace him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Someone foreign and experienced hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

ntlbell wrote:
    and if this thread was created on the back of the display on wed you probably need to watch it sober, or just watch it.

Wednesday plus Czech match plus Slovakia plus Wales

i.e. our recent form

DSB wrote:
    Someone foreign and experienced hopefully.

well that's not really much good to go on...

fact is, with our budget and profile, we'd nearly have to take a gamble on the replacement too. it be the same fiasco as last time.

• Advertisement

and someone definitely needs to teach him how to talk to the media still. he needs to be able to win them over if he's ever gonna last.

I don't think so to be honest. The media were pushing to have him out from day one...because the genral public were.

The media have some control but if we qualify or start playing well all the time then they'll have to get behind him as everyone else will. if Jack Charlton's style of play didn't make a difference because it yielded results then no-one will give a crap about how long Stauntons press confrences are.

IMO his handling of the media has been quite good in that he's given them no time whatsoever. if Staunton wins over the public the media will have to come along. To do that he needs results.

still though, it's the same old problem. if we were to get rid of stan tomorrow, who could we realistically get in to replace him?

Martin O Neil, after the Villa fans oust him for not buying defenders ;)

Really though we were clearly never gonna get a proper well known manager, but we should have gotten, and still need, a proper actual manager, who has y'know, actually managed somebody before being thrown into international football. I'd have been far happier with one of the George Burley's, Steve Coppell's, dare I even say the Peter Reids of this world! IMO for international football its all about motivating the team, getting them acting as a unit, and as much as possible getting them doing the same job they do for their clubs to make the transition easier.

I also think you have to look at what happens when you bring in a manager at international level adn they do really well.

No top class manager will take the Ireland job..fact.

if you bring in someone and they excel....well just look at Norn Iron and Scotland. top of their qualifying groups and the manager got poached in both situations leaving them up s*it creek without a paddle.

gosplan wrote:
    I also think you have to look at what happens when you bring in a manager at international level adn they do really well.

No top class manager will take the Ireland job..fact.

if you bring in someone and they excel....well just look at Norn Iron and Scotland. top of their qualifying groups and the manager got poached in both situations leaving them up s*it creek without a paddle.

...so by that logic we're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't so we should just keep poor managers who will stay with us since noone else wants them?

~Rebel~ wrote:
    ...so by that logic we're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't so we should just keep poor managers who will stay with us since noone else wants them?

No but bringing in someone like Reid or Coppell(who would never come to us over reading) who has less passion for the Irish cause means that they'd probably take a better offer if one were available.

I mean we don't pay much(relativley speaking), games are sporadic and you have to put up with a load of crap.

This changes if you go to a country like Italy where managing them is a really big deal. Basically any foreign manager would probably turn down the chance to manage ireland if offered a premiership position.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Martin O Neil, after the Villa fans oust him for not buying defenders ;)

Really though we were clearly never gonna get a proper well known manager, but we should have gotten, and still need, a proper actual manager, who has y'know, actually managed somebody before being thrown into international football. I'd have been far happier with one of the George Burley's, Steve Coppell's, dare I even say the Peter Reids of this world! IMO for international football its all about motivating the team, getting them acting as a unit, and as much as possible getting them doing the same job they do for their clubs to make the transition easier.

we can hardly lure and afford a championship manager let alone prem. O Neill would never come to us i reckon unless he were out of employment for a long period of time and had no suitors. i'd love a Burley or Coppell as well, but i think we'd struggle to even get one of them.

we couldnt get them now, but we would have had a fair chance at the time. Burley was a free agent before we got staunton. I just mean we should be going for managers rather then, well, non-managers. Someone who has a decent consistent track record in the championship or with other national teams - most importantly someone who has actually managed. Failing that if we really want to go down the road of someone fresh i'd like a serious motivator, which Staunton really just isn't. I cant imagine that slow deep droning voice really firing anyone up..Kevin Moran, IMO would have been a far better choice. Im not sure if he'd have wanted it but he did in the past and has proven to be successful at pretty much everything he's tried in his life.

Aldridge should have gotten the job imo.

He wanted it and would've had all the players respect as much as Stan as well as actually having good managerial experience.

If we were pushing the boat out, maybe dalglish would've been interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

gosplan wrote:

What would you be saying if you switched one result - the cyprus game - and we were two points clear in second place?
    The new players he brought in?

He didnt buy them, if they are Irish and want to play for Ireland and play in the Premiership or impress in the Championship then they get in the squad.

In all fairness, after watching United's pre-season i would have brought Gibson in if i was Irish manager. Shane Long too, Andy Keogh. But Steven Carr wouldnt have a place.

The fact is, at the start he had 13 injuries, now he has got a crop of young talented players to pick from. Its hardly managerial genius is it?

I thought the whole country attacking his ability to manager and pro-nounce gaffer was unfair due to the many injuries he had. But to re-think my opinion because of two 1-0 home wins and a good friendly result is jumping the gun.

Ill get a Steven Staunton tatoo if i can follow the Boys In Green in Switzerland next year. But not yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    T
    Ill get a Steven Staunton tatoo if i can follow the Boys In Green in Switzerland next year. But not yet.

I'll get one of McShane taken robbie up the duffer because it's the two lads that will get us there not stan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sure it has nothing to do with Stanton, it just historical we have always played well in Augusut.

:rolleyes:

Mikeyt086 wrote:
    The new players he brought in?

He didnt buy them, if they are Irish and want to play for Ireland and play in the Premiership or impress in the Championship then they get in the squad.

He's had a policy of bringing in new young players -there's no point arguing with that.

Sometimes it's worked(McShane) and sometimes it hasn't(trying to leave Carsley out!!!)

Everyone get a look at the squad.

Seems normal though 4 keepers is a bit strange.

anyone any idea why Steve Carr has beeen left out, is he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

gosplan wrote:
    Everyone get a look at the squad.

Seems normal though 4 keepers is a bit strange.

anyone any idea why Steve Carr has beeen left out, is he injured?

He's got sunstroke, keeping a healthy tan isn't easy these days.

Will someone please post the squad.

I'm not arsed looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Trampas

One thing I don't understand is why he puts Finnan on the left when he is one of the best rb in the premier league.

And if he must feel like playing O'Shakey then put him in lb as thats where he sometimes plays for united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Carr got injured there at the weekend! then his replacement got injured even worse! he wasnt irish tho...and im just rambling....

ehhh....

Squad:
    Goalkeepers:
    Nick Colgan - Barnsley
    Colin Doyle - Birmingham City
    Shay Given - Newcastle United
    Wayne Henderson - Preston North End

Defenders:
    Richard Dunne - Manchester City
    Steve Finnan - Liverpool
    Kevin Foley - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Stephen Kelly - Birmingham City
    Paul McShane - Sunderland
    John O’Shea - Manchester United

Midfielders:
    Lee Carsley - Everton
    Jonathon Douglas - Leeds United
    Darron Gibson - Manchester United
    Stephen Hunt - Reading
    Stephen Ireland - Manchester City
    Kevin Kilbane - Wigan Athletic
    Aiden McGeady - Celtic
    Alan O’Brien - Hibernian
    Darren Potter - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Andy Reid - Charlton Athletic

Forwards
    Kevin Doyle - Reading
    Robbie Keane - Tottenham Hotspur
    Andy Keogh - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Shane Long - Reading
    Daryl Murphy - Sunderland

Nice big bushy midfield there! 1 level of cover for each position at least. same with forwards. 6 defenders is adequate i spose, but i'd trade a keeper for another defender. only reason i can see for the 4 is that Stan is still trying to find out whos his best 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Colgan must be a half decent coach...

Kevin Foley - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

gosplan wrote:

In fairness most poor Stan performances bar the Wales match was due mainly to having to use a 3rd choice squad (it was a tight win against a poor team, iirc only Stephen Ireland and Duffer impressed on the day to any great extent). He narrowly held off the Czechs without a first pref team.

At the same time some of his press conferences have been bizarre, like denying there was booing after the san marino match :confused:

tbh he did what he could during some of the worst injury crisis in history. Could Gus Hiddink, Mourhino or, dare I say it, Roy Keane really have come up with better teams and gameplans in a situation where nprety much every first choice player was out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

i'll reserve my judgment on Stan as a manager till he has completed the qualifiers. I've no beef with him as a man.

shane86 wrote:
    Could Gus Hiddink, Mourhino or, dare I say it, Roy Keane really have come up with better teams and gameplans in a situation where nprety much every first choice player was out?

Are you for real mentioning Roy Keane with Hiddink and Mourinho!?!?! He can't even beat Luton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

we have a world class manager in Stan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Sorry to hear his father died recently. I think Steve Staunton does not have the experience, and that deficiency will be tested in tough times. He might be learning to prepare a few quotes for the media for win / lose / draw situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Are you for real mentioning Roy Keane with Hiddink and Mourinho!?!?! He can't even beat Luton!
    But he can take a group of no-hopers with 0 points from 2 games and turn them into a Championship winning team bound for the Premiership.

Squad is fine exept... GET COLGAN OUT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Of course not. Im referring to the "Ah Keane shoulda got the Ireland job" sentiment in the air at our lowest ebbs over the past year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i lambasted Stan , for some of his poor results and performnces, but in fairness he has turned it round a bit , a lot of the players have found a bit of form , and a few gems unearthed , so fair play Stan -- still think it was a joke appointing the Assistant manager of Walsall to maanage us, but thats Delaneys fault -- so good luck with the rest of the campaign Stan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

lets not get carried away here after a FRIENDLY result.

sure, it's better winning 4-0 than losing, but at the end of the day it means nothing.

if we get through this group, stan deserves a gold medal.. if we don't and lose another match, it's probably game over for him.

smemon wrote:
    if we don't and lose another match, it's probably game over for him.
    Delaney won't sack Stan, and tbh, I doubt Stan has the gumption to resign.

His utterings after the national team's lowest points, and before the San Marino game are clear indicators of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

DesF wrote:

His utterings after the national team's lowest points, and before the San Marino game are clear indicators of this.

This is very true, mores the pity!

Could anyone tell me how Delaney can keep his job? How long more is he in there for? Is it until he decides he's made enough of a mess and plenty of money? Or is the decision up to others, what i'm getting at is how do we get him out??

A Waterford man giving out about Delaney?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

DesF wrote:

I wouldnt be so sure.... Delaney wont fall with him, thats for sure.

And to think that Hitzfeld was interested and would have cost less than the Bobby Staunton dream team :(

And as for 'bringing players through', this talent emerging is down to Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'll second that, all his work with the underage teams is coming through now.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Don't think many of the players coming through to the current squad played underage under Kerr, any praise like that should be directed at Sean McCaffrey

Advertisement