Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs always asleep?

Options
  • 24-08-2007 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Ok its a balmy warm day down here and the dogs like nothing better than to sleep in this type of weather but I was just wondering how much sleep dogs actually need or are they sleeping simply because they are bored?

Now that they are all over one year old they seem to have lost a lot of the puppy play fighting antics. However at about 11pm they seem to explode with energy and can be heard running around barking etc until about three or 4am.

They are now allowed free access to the entire property 24/7. I believe it makes for a calmer much more relaxed dog. But I did not expect them to be this relaxed. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You should see ours when it's horrible outside ...a very quick dash and pee in the morning and then back to bed until feeding time ...another quick poo and back to bed. :D

(and ours are not allowed outside during the night and actually spend that sleeping as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Nice sunny weather, they love a good snooze!
    They're like us in that respect, hence there is someone making a lot of money from the invention of sun loungers!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

It varies by breed and circumstances. Sleeping conserves energy, and many breeds simply are low energy. Wild dogs and Wolves spend a lot of time sleeping when they have had enough to eat and don't need to tend to pups.

Wez
    Ok its a balmy warm day down here and the dogs like nothing better than to sleep in this type of weather but I was just wondering how much sleep dogs actually need or are they sleeping simply because they are bored?

Now that they are all over one year old they seem to have lost a lot of the puppy play fighting antics. However at about 11pm they seem to explode with energy and can be heard running around barking etc until about three or 4am.

They are now allowed free access to the entire property 24/7. I believe it makes for a calmer much more relaxed dog. But I did not expect them to be this relaxed. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

dogs sleep on average 12 hrs a day, but many large breeds can sleep for around 18 hrs a day... so, it's probably fairly normal!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bastard.. my dog sleeps about 5 hours a day, and when he's not sleeping he's barking in my ear

• Advertisement
Advertisement