Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What store in Ireland sell the cheapest milk?

• 24-08-2007 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Okay, Tesco and Dunnes have the chepaest 2 litre containers at 1.29 (64.5cent per litre) that I could find. The best value overall is the tesco 3 litre for 1.70, this works out at less that 57cent per litre. However, these 3 litres only come in whole milk versions (no half fat) and so I have to stick to teh 2 litres for half fat.

I havent checked lidl or aldi so Im not sure of their milk prices.

Anybody know of any cheaper milk.

Oh ya, and this may seem like a stupid topic, but I liike my milk cheap!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

BigL90 wrote:
    Oh ya, and this may seem like a stupid topic

It doesn't seem like a stupid topic........it is a stupid topic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 BigL90

okay, if you reckon it's stupid, don't post in it. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

tesco, aldi, lidl, dunnes are all 1.29/2L where I've checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

My local centra and super valu had milk at €1.19 but its gone up to €1.29 lately.......So no change here.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Just buy a cow:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Superquinn is 1.29 as well.......
    Milk is milk, is milk...... the own brand stuff is the exact same stuff as Premier Dairies or Avonmore etc stuff.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You'll probably find some small store down the country selling local milk rather cheap. However not being down the country I can't verify that.

eo980 wrote:
    You'll probably find some small store down the country selling local milk rather cheap. However not being down the country I can't verify that.

Given the regulations governing fresh milk- it must be both pasteurised and homogenised before it can be sold to the public, I doubt somehow that there are small outfits around the country selling milk somehow.

Farm workers employed by Teagasc and the other semistate bodies, who once upon a time were allowed a fresh milk allowance, had this perk withdrawn on health grounds some time ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I see, but are there not small local dairies still knocking about the place?

eo980 wrote:
    I see, but are there not small local dairies still knocking about the place?

Yes- but most of them have diversified away from bulk milk into niche products (ala Silverpail with its yummy icecream, and a load of others making artisan cheese products etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

smccarrick wrote:
    Superquinn is 1.29 as well.......
    Milk is milk, is milk...... the own brand stuff is the exact same stuff as Premier Dairies or Avonmore etc stuff.

S.

Blatantly untrue. Premier Dairies is much creamier and tastier than Tesco own brand. You can even tell the difference in pouring them.. The Tesco milk is thinner and lighter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Conor108 wrote:

lmfao...interesting thread to see lol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Where would be the cheapest place to get Avonmore?

Btw is there any difference in the avonmore milk and the premier dairies milk?? I know they're both made by glanbia but are they in different factories or what? Why is Premier Dairies cheaper?

And I'd never get plastic bottled milk, even if it's cheaper for the amounts we use of it. I nearly get sick from the taste of it. I can tell the difference in blind testing and other people agree with me. So what's the deal with that??

God I care too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,999 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - bear in mind that when you get 'cheap' milk that the producer's margins are being constantly eaten away. Relatively speaking, milk is ridiculously cheap at the moment. It should be about three times the price that it is. Who would ever have thought that people would pay more for bottled water? :(
    Conor108 wrote:
    The OP would have to get a bull also. A cow ain't going to provide any milk without a bit of hanky panky to make a calf. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Does it have to be cow milk? I might be able to put SoMething your wAy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I would assume that the Tesco 3 Litre cartons would offer the best value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I have this debate with my girlfriend sometimes.

Milk - any milk - is cheap. So why not get the creme-de-la-creme-most-expensive milk? What'll it cost? E1.80? E2?

Being thrifty is great, but save it for the cars and mortgages of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I can't wait to get back home. The milk here in yuck. And fecking expensive. Same with bread. The Common Agricultural Policy is suddenly so attractive ;). Long live Brennan's and Avonmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

karmabass wrote:
    Blatantly untrue. Premier Dairies is much creamier and tastier than Tesco own brand. You can even tell the difference in pouring them.. The Tesco milk is thinner and lighter..
    If this is true how is it thinner.....watered down??..somehow I doubt it, it's all regulated so there is nothing to stop some sort of inspector from checking the milk in the shops.

How can there be such a difference between the prices of milk....how can they brand a product thats all the same and sell it a different prices, or maybe its not the same stuff, could someone explain? I compared the label on the expensive stuff with the less expensive stuff to see what the difference was and there was nothing.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

caesar wrote:
    How can there be such a difference between the prices of milk?
    It's demand- rather than cost-driven.

If you sell your house you charge what you can get, not what you paid for it. Believe it or not, pride/advertising/ignorance creates a greater demand (and thereby price) for the "brand label" Avonmore milk rather than Tesco own brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Ibid wrote:
    It's demand- rather than cost-driven.

If you sell your house you charge what you can get, not what you paid for it. Believe it or not, pride/advertising/ignorance creates a greater demand (and thereby price) for the "brand label" Avonmore milk rather than Tesco own brand.
    I suppose that is kinda obvious...I always looked at it from the point of view that milk is milk. Am I right in saying that there is no difference between each of these brands in terms of the product itself. I can understand branding with the likes of bread and that but Milk...no!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

In my experience, there is definitely a difference in the milk from plastic containers but crucialy it depends on the region you are in.

E.G. - In Limerick, Golden Vale milk tastes fine from a plastic 2L container, but buy the same thing in most parts of Clare, and there is a horrible "plastic-y" taste off of it. You mightn't notice it in tea, but in a bowl of cereal - yuk! :)

Getting back to the "Bargains" - I would put Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl and Aldi at about the same good value for money. Dunnes probably gets extra points for offering 1L cardboard cartons as well.

BTW, on the other end of the price scale - Cravendale milk ("micro-filtered") is an expensive brand (from the UK - still sold in Tesco AFAIK), but tastes really nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Anyone else have their Lidl milk 'go off' before the best before date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have started using powdered milk. It does not go off, its much lower in fat and it tastes like low fat milk. It also does not leave you bloated like ordinary milk does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

caesar wrote:
    I suppose that is kinda obvious...I always looked at it from the point of view that milk is milk. Am I right in saying that there is no difference between each of these brands in terms of the product itself. I can understand branding with the likes of bread and that but Milk...no!

there is a difference just like there is a difference (however slight) in ballygowan versus deep river rock or american butter and kerrygold. avonmore super milk (to me) tastes fresher than any other type of milk dont know why it just does

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I know milk is milk but why does the milk in SuperValu have a best before that's always a couple of days earlier than the Avonmore & Premier brands. I know they're probably delivered at different dates but 100% of the time I go in there the non brand milk is due to expire a day or two earlier than the pricier stuff.

* Always grab the milk from the back of the shelf. It'll usually get you an extra day or two.

PeakOutput wrote:
    there is a difference just like there is a difference (however slight) in ballygowan versus deep river rock or american butter and kerrygold. avonmore super milk (to me) tastes fresher than any other type of milk dont know why it just does

Ballygowan has a much higher CaCO3 content than Deep River Rock (which in turn has a much higher NaCl content). So- while they are both water- they are very slightly different.

Kerrygold has a higher salt content than American butter (and a much higher cloraphyll content)- so it does indeed taste markedly different (for an even bigger taste difference compare it to President (French) butter instead- which is pure white in colour, and quite tasteless.

I guess that its a similar story with the different brands of milk- extremely minor differences in the composition of the milks, possibly as a result of very small differences in the manner in which they are processed.

As kids our family loved Avonmore milk- we'd drink gallons of it- but we wouldn't touch Premier Dairies stuff with a barge pole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,007 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Doodlebug wrote:
    In my experience, there is definitely a difference in the milk from plastic containers but crucialy it depends on the region you are in.

E.G. - In Limerick, Golden Vale milk tastes fine from a plastic 2L container, but buy the same thing in most parts of Clare, and there is a horrible "plastic-y" taste off of it. You mightn't notice it in tea, but in a bowl of cereal - yuk! :)

Getting back to the "Bargains" - I would put Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl and Aldi at about the same good value for money. Dunnes probably gets extra points for offering 1L cardboard cartons as well.

BTW, on the other end of the price scale - Cravendale milk ("micro-filtered") is an expensive brand (from the UK - still sold in Tesco AFAIK), but tastes really nice!

You do of course know that all milk is shipped in plastic containers, unless some diaries are still using glass bottles. Even the Tetra pacs(sp?) are lined with plastic as if it wasn't the milk would all soak through.

As for prices I noticed that about 2/3 weeks ago that all the shops stuck the price of the own brand up by 10cents at roughly the same time, great competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Yeah, the taste effect seems to come from the type of plastic used. I am referring to the packaging that is made of plastic only.

Having said all that - I do know some people who can't tell the difference at all, while others can tell immediately and can't stand the taste of what they refer to as "Plastic Milk"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ahh plastic packaging rears its ugly head again it will be the cause of the extinction of our raceand not cause of pollution either

anyway ye milk in those big 2???ltr plastic bottles is rancid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement