Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What store in Ireland sell the cheapest milk?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rediguana wrote:
    Milk - any milk - is cheap. So why not get the creme-de-la-creme-most-expensive milk? What'll it cost? E1.80? E2?
    If I think the difference in quality outweighs the difference in price then I will pay it. I buy tesco milk, I cant tell the difference, they are all crap now- bring back milk bottles, esp. with all this recycling stuff going on you would think they would come back. I wont buy tesco fizzy orange, only club orange, costs maybe 5 times the price, but worth it.

If people cannot tell the difference, then all they are paying extra for is the adverts on TV. White sugar is another example of generic basic product, some people will only buy suicra. Tesco have tesco, and tesco value sugar, I imagine it is the exact same stuff, but different price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Just because you cant tell the difference doesnt mean everyone cant. A lot of dairy farmers drink their own milk straight from the bulk tank and cant stand bought milk because it tastes watered down. Some more than others. I'll agree, own brand stuff seems to be the biggest culprits here. I'd imagine its something to do with the homogenisation process. Another point about the 2L plastic bottle is while I'd agree that it tastes terrible when bought from a store, pouring your own milk into it, the problem doesnt occur. Even after 5 days, there is no distinct taste coming into play. Therefore, I'd imagine its something to do with the bottling process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,184 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is this not running madly off topic?

I buy mine for 89c for 2 litres in Better Deals in Strabane. Good stuff it is too. Thats the advantage of living close to the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Just because you cant tell the difference doesnt mean everyone cant. A lot of dairy farmers drink their own milk straight from the bulk tank and cant stand bought milk because it tastes watered down. Some more than others. I'll agree, own brand stuff seems to be the biggest culprits here. I'd imagine its something to do with the homogenisation process. Another point about the 2L plastic bottle is while I'd agree that it tastes terrible when bought from a store, pouring your own milk into it, the problem doesnt occur. Even after 5 days, there is no distinct taste coming into play. Therefore, I'd imagine its something to do with the bottling process.

Thats because its whole cream milk, this milk is seperated out to make cream and milk.
    http://www.foodsci.uoguelph.ca/dairyedu/fluid.html

Not all milk is the same, the stuff on the shelfs has gone through different processes and will essentially taste the same depending on the amount of cream, lactose and packaging.

There are a couple of co-ops in cork:
    http://www.agriaware.ie/default.asp?com=agriaware&org=&id=91&mnu=91

So essentially, pick one and stick to that, not all milk tastes the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Saruman wrote:
    I have started using powdered milk. It does not go off, its much lower in fat and it tastes like low fat milk. It also does not leave you bloated like ordinary milk does.

I agree, while I don't use it everyday, instant powdered milk is great to have in stock when you're caught short of milk for a cuppa, for example when coming back from a holiday. A couple of teaspoons in tea or coffee is fine. Tesco and Aldi have cheap own brand versions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Fnz wrote:
    Anyone else have their Lidl milk 'go off' before the best before date?

Haven't noticed it with Lidl milk, but defo with Tesco 2L milk guaranteed.

Somehow tesco seem to have 'extended' dates on their milk which i suspect is causing the problem.
    Never had that problem with the branded milks like Avonmore though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Same with the SuperValu milk. On the 2nd last day / last day it begins to pong. OK for tea but not nice by itself. Probably won't kill ya but not nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

great topic. LOL

I tried aldi milk and used it in the microwave and it curdled ? any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭loopymum

sunny2004 wrote:
    great topic. LOL

I tried aldi milk and used it in the microwave and it curdled ? any ideas??

The milk had started to sour! I'm a big hot chocolate fan and this always happens when milk is turning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

loopymum wrote:
    The milk had started to sour! I'm a big hot chocolate fan and this always happens when milk is turning.
    If you think its bad in hot chocolate- you should see it in fresh coffee :(
    I think I'm going to look into getting some of that UHT coffee milk, that is so popular on the continent- I usen't like the taste, but it does sort of grow on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Del2005 wrote:
    As for prices I noticed that about 2/3 weeks ago that all the shops stuck the price of the own brand up by 10cents at roughly the same time, great competition.
    They've done it again! 2l of own brand in Tesco or Dunnes Stores was €1.29, now €1.49!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrquiteaguy

Steve O.
    I have just returned from Dunnes and what a shock it was to see 2 litre Dunnes own brand milk up from 1.29 to 1.49.

Can anyone explain why the milk is going up so much?.

I see the bread is going up also.
    I get Cuthberts white pan.
    It has gone up from 1.53 to 1.71 to 1.83 now.

I make that approx 25% increase in milk and approx 20% increase in bread prices this year.

5% inflation me arse.

Funnily enough I have seen it go up from 99c to €1.09 in Strabane also.

Cows must gave got a pay rise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

Steve O.
    I have just returned from Dunnes and what a shock it was to see 2 litre Dunnes own brand milk up from 1.29 to 1.49.

Can anyone explain why the milk is going up so much?.

I see the bread is going up also.
    I get Cuthberts white pan.
    It has gone up from 1.53 to 1.71 to 1.83 now.

I make that approx 25% increase in milk and approx 20% increase in bread prices this year.

5% inflation me arse.

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/agriculture/current/milk.pdf

The production has decreased the cows are not happy !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrquiteaguy

Thanks digitally yours for explaining things to me.

Perhaps we need some immigrant cows,
    their more productive. lol:p

Perhaps we need some immigrant cows,
    their more productive. lol:p
    You mean ones with bigger tits :D

Edit; that should have been teats or udders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,007 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The price of milk and bread has gone up all over the world. They've had protests in Italy over the price of pasta!! It's down to several factors. Some of which are floods and droughts in grain producing regions of the world, obviously not the same places. Also the Chinese are buying huge quanities of powdered milk and also lots of grain. And then there is bio fuels which is taking a lot of maize from food production to make petrol.

This must be recent because I bought milk in Tesco and Aldi last week it was €1.29. I've noticed Superquinn own brand milk, (EuroShopper?) is still €1.29. I don't think they increased their price at all. While generally Superquinn is a bargain free zone, fair play to them for holding the lower price. I'll be buying my milk there if it's €1.49 everywhere else. Lovely milk it is as well from Dale Farm, up north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Went from €1.19 to €1.29 to €1.49 in SuperValu over the past month or two.

That's some rise in a staple - and not a bit about it on the news (AFAIK)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

2 litres in the major supermarkets
    went from 1.19 to 1.29 in August to 1.49 in September.
    1 litre went from 65c to 69c to 79c in the same period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

In Holloway, London it has just gone up in price from 99p to £1.20 for 2 litres as of last wednesday. It was a loss leader in a small busy shop opposite the Odeon cinema. All I ever bought was milk as they were 26p cheaper. I bought 4 litres at a time. In London some milk is in 2 litres and others are 4 pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

One thing for sure is that Spar must be the most expensive place for milk. I have seen 1.35 for a litre of SuperMilk in many. Stupid topic some thought but I actively look for the price of the milk before I will buy as Im not always near a supermarket. Hate Golden Vale brand which is some garages - those that are left - that's another story though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Milk just went up again this week in tesco, dunnes, lidl, aldi..
    1 litre 79c to 88c
    2 litres 1.49 to 1.69

that's a big increase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

snubbleste wrote: »
    1 litre 79c to 88c
    2 litres 1.49 to 1.69

that's a big increase!
    It would seem that we're the ones being *sigh*.... 'milked'. :o

They said I was mad for buying 70 litres of the stuff last week - but I could see what way the winds were blowing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

99c for 1l in my local Tesco/Superquinn.
    1 litre 79c to 88c
    2 litres 1.49 to 1.69

that's a big increase!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Milk just went up again this

You can be bloody sure that the price rise is not being passed onto farmers! Talk about price gouging......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

actually it is
    dairy farmers are doing better now than they have for a long time

This is an easy way for supermarkets to rake in thousands in extra profit. They know everyone is going to keep buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I started a thread similiar to this and loads of people came on with their stupid statements. These people are so oblivious to the fact that the cents add up. And then you get €70 every few months when you count it all up.

Having said that I used to skimp on food all the time. I have now realised this is a bad idea and you should pay for good quality food. I'm going to go to a farmers market this weekend and will pay more for eggs and veg. etc but it's not sprayed and does not have any dangerous chemicals like all the fruit and veg supermarkets have. The value in this is that your looking after your health which is much more important than money.

I look after my money well and enjoy saving money and spending wisely but I'm not going to do this on food anymore.

Did anyone see Jamie Oliver's programme about the chickens?

• Advertisement

And then you get €70 every few months when you count it all up.
    How do you mean - Im a bit lost on that.

Oh and 2 litres is still €1.29 in my local shop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement