Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatfinding turning into a nightmare

Options
  • 24-08-2007 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭

Any tips for somebody at the end of their tether, so to speak?
    Trying to find a two-bedroom apartment in Dublin, anywhere reasonably close to the centre, somewhere not miles and miles away. Tried daft.ie and other websites; quite apart from the outrageous cost of rent, many of the advertisers are not interested when they hear it’s two students… It’s a nightmare even trying to arrange a viewing. One particular place which sounded like Rigsby’s flat in Rising Damp even apparently had 30 viewings booked for the same day?! I can’t get my head around this, why would they book 30 viewings in the same day for one place? What if the 2nd person wanted it? Would they be allowed to take it or is it some sort of vetting process to get the best tenant? Has anybody any tips at all at all, as Miley might say if he was in this situation?

I’m just about ready to fly a plane into the Four Courts in anger. :eek: Is the Evening Herald any good for advertisements? Would it help to call into some sort of agency or something or is there anyone who help students find places?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

My sympathies OP.
    Finding accomadation in Dublin was never easy but this month and next month are possibly the worst times of the year because of all the students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

It's just as hard, if not harder than finding a job. The last plan of attack is going to be a prayer session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Part of the problem is that landlords stereotype students as hard drinking partyers and who might rent drink the months rent and fail to pay on time. And to a large extent they are correct :eek:

The ideal tenant for a landlord is a quiet single professional lady who never has house parties and probably goes home down the country for the weekend.

And while I might get flamed for my stereotype if I was a landlord I know who I'd give my flat to if I had 30 viewings like the OP says.

You are up against it.
    Maybe tell the landlord you work as a cashier in a bank or some other respectable, trustworthy job. It's deceit but sure it might work.

micmclo wrote:
    Part of the problem is that landlords stereotype students as hard drinking partyers and who might rent drink the months rent and fail to pay on time. And to a large extent they are correct :eek:

The ideal tenant for a landlord is a quiet single professional lady who never has house parties and probably goes home down the country for the weekend.

And while I might get flamed for my stereotype if I was a landlord I know who I'd give my flat to if I had 30 viewings like the OP says.

You are up against it.
    Maybe tell the landlord you work as a cashier in a bank or some other respectable, trustworthy job. It's deceit but sure it might work.

That is true.. It's a pity though, paying the deposit and regular
    payment of the rent should be enough of a security.
    I got a law degree and my friend is doing biochemistry so
    we're hardly the young ones, but you know they want the
    professional types! If they don't cut me a break now, then how
    am I supposed to become the professional businesswoman
    they want? Er.. I mean businessman.. Or do I? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

Any tips for somebody at the end of their tether, so to speak?
    Trying to find a two-bedroom apartment in Dublin, anywhere reasonably close to the centre, somewhere not miles and miles away. Tried daft.ie and other websites; quite apart from the outrageous cost of rent, many of the advertisers are not interested when they hear it’s two students… It’s a nightmare even trying to arrange a viewing. One particular place which sounded like Rigsby’s flat in Rising Damp even apparently had 30 viewings booked for the same day?! I can’t get my head around this, why would they book 30 viewings in the same day for one place? What if the 2nd person wanted it? Would they be allowed to take it or is it some sort of vetting process to get the best tenant? Has anybody any tips at all at all, as Miley might say if he was in this situation?

I’m just about ready to fly a plane into the Four Courts in anger. Is the Evening Herald any good for advertisements? Would it help to call into some sort of agency or something or is there anyone who help students find places?

Jesus i had to double check if i wrote that..i'm in the exact same predicament.its so frustrating isn't it.daft has become my number one most visited site....you would think with all these fecking houses and apartments being built there would be plenty for everyone.im in no mood to commute going to DIT every day so i'm willing to pay the rip off rent for the city centre but even at those prices its impossible to book a viewing..fecking psychic flathunters...

i am going into my fourth year of my degree and my friend is finished a law degree...so i wonder is it worth it to pretend that we are "professionals" as if that guarantees anything :rolleyes: or maybe get my pal to dress a woman so we can be "two professional women,non smoking" which seems to be the best bet for a flat..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭simona

i know,it's stupid!!! i am asking to view the appartment in two days and a lady says: 'no!!the viewing is tomorrow.in two days it will definatelly will be gone!!''...more so i live not in Dublin so it makes nearly impossible to get the accommodation in there. And can't imagine how it feels to come and view appartment with other 30 people.EHH?
    it's like who runs faster ? ? ? :)
    yeap daft.ie is my number one as well in these days.
    but don't worry too much,there is smething new coming everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

I've been throught the whole mess that is renting an apartment as a student, so I know what you're going through. So here is what I have learnt.

You picked the worst possible time to rent, ideally you should have looked in July/start of August, right now there are many students looking for few apartments. I now this doesn't help you much but maybe next time you should consider looking earlier, or possibly you could commute for the first few months and look in November, when things have died down.

I would suggest that instead of looking through daft.ie go visit an estate agent and try to get in contact with a agent. That way you are a face rather than some randomer on the phone, and if they get to know you, they will call you first before they post the apartment online.

You should bring the deposit, some form of reference and ID to every viewing, as some people might do the deal on the spot with you. Its a hassle, but right now, beggars can't really be choosers.

Also, try and get together with some people who also need to rent accommodation. At the moment 2/3 beds are in huge demand, while 5/6 bed house stay on the market much longer. Also they work out much better value, especially when you include bills and fixed costs.

Finally, start playing up the fact the you are a graduate rather than a student(if I read your post correctly). This way you can say that you are technically a professional. Landlords do a lot of less than honest things when renting, why not do it yourself.

Good luck pal.

PS Have a look at some of the 6 beds on daft.ie and try and rent one between the two of you. I guarantee you will find plenty of people in the same circumstances who need a place to move in badly, especially people from the country just moving to college and without a place to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nikolaitr wrote:
    PS Have a look at some of the 6 beds on daft.ie and try and rent one between the two of you. I guarantee you will find plenty of people in the same circumstances who need a place to move in badly, especially people from the country just moving to college and without a place to stay
    But only if you're desperate, as you'll get a few w*nkers who'll see the house as a 24/7 party zone 'cos "mammy" isn't there:rolleyes::mad:

I've no idea what the college's are like in Dublin, but in Carlow, the Students Union had a list of places that wouldn't usually be on daft, as they'd be for the students. True, some of them will be dives, but that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Kemos wrote:
    It's just as hard, if not harder than finding a job. The last plan of attack is going to be a prayer session
    Oh wow, it's so much harder than finding a job. It's my least favourite thing to do, ever. Luckily I found a great place yesterday, thank God :) Good luck op!!

I'm going up today for a few days.. this should be interesting! If you hear about a young man throwing himself in front of the Dart it will probably be me :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭simona

good luck to you.i am 5 hours away from Dublin so unless i come there ,i will get nothing :D

I got an amazing place, 5 minutes from Stephen's Green! And it was cheap!!

:eek:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I sympathise. Last year myself and my partner were looking for our own place from the end of September until about mid Nov.

We were looking for a 1 bed (2 if possible) with enough room to swing a cat and around the grand mark. We were incredibly lucky to find the place we did and just at the point where we were going to take the first place we could squeeze into.

I agree with trying to get a 3-5 bed house and getting people to share it with you, that worked really well for me in college. You can always find someone to fill any gaps that come up and you'll find the bills are less for being split more ways.

Advertisement