Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soo...is the elite much quieter than the normal 360?

• 24-08-2007 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭

As the title says, have MS managed to fix the noise issue or is falcon the next, best, hope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ehh yeah that gamestop deal looks good if its quiter.

Anyone got one?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I find mine a good bit quieter, but I might have had one of the bad drives in my last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The drive is the only thing that quiter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Funny,
    I picked one up yesterday to check out, and while noticably quieter on the dash etc etc......I would say that the DVD drive in this one was actually louder than a launch system.....very surprising..
    Seems to be the same varying quality/parts that has been seen with the US Elites..

BenQ drive as well.....very surprising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

I notice mine to be much quietier - when playing a game (hitachi drive)there is still a bit of noise but nothing compared to my old premium. I really notice the difference when on the dashboard, demos, arcade etc. Definite improvement. Very pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

AFAIK It's both the DVD drive and the cooling fans that cause the noise. Which is the biggest contributer though?
    LIGHTNING wrote:
    Personally if I was going to buy an 360 now I`d wait until the upgrade to 65nm.
    :D:D:D

Well,
    its definitely the DVD drive that is the biggest noise factor, with even the BenQ drives proving excessively loud in comparison to optical drives in other devices..
    The high rotational speed of the 360's (and Elite's) drive can be very annoying....especially when stored vertically..

Noise levels on the dash though are far better than previous systems when idling, with some noise increase when demanding Live Arcade games are ran from the HDD..
    Definitely using improved fans on the new systems in comparison to launch machines..

The 65nm process upgrade doesn't automatically mean a noise reduction when it shows up, but its logical to conclude that with a heat sensitive cooling system, the need to dissipate less heat will reduce in a further decrease in high-speed fan use. As well as improving the reliability overall..
    Unfortunately, you'll still be stuck with whatever optical drive MS are using at the time, so it'll probably never reach "silent" levels (then again, what does these days)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

It's a complete money spin if you ask me, and the price of the 120GB H/D alone is a disgrace, shame on you MS, interesting article here about the virtually non-existent difference between the current premium and the elite.
    Certainly won't be wasting my money;)

Horses for courses really..
    no doubt its attractive to some people purely for the HDD.....to others for HDMI reasons......to others for the reduction in noise in comparison to an older system ( a good few Premiums and Elites manufactured since May/June have used better quality fans in conjunction with the extra heatsink)....to others because it represents a chance for them to offload their old systems which may be becoming unreliable and pickup the latest and greatest 360 with a fresh warranty for @€;200 less..

There could be a variety of reasons why someone may want to trade up their launch system for a new Elite, so its best left to the individual to decide whether or not they want to for their own reasons......... if not they could put the money they would have spent to good use (Wii, against a PS3, some games etc etc)..

Potential new owners can walk into a store now and see a top-tier model for sale as an option and if they're in any way interested in the future Video Marketplace, an Elite will certainly go a lot further than a base model.
    The HDD price is certainly a tough pill to swallow, as proprietary features always are (and certainly in comparison to Sony's thinking with the PS3 storage options), but at least current model owners can decide for themselves..

Advertisement