Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reverse problem corolla

Options
  • 24-08-2007 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I have a 99 corolla saloon. Sometimes when I put the car into reverse the car will reverse a small bit then pop out of gear and into neutral. Once this happens it will always go into reverse on the second try no problem. I don't think it's anything I'm doing wrong, I have the clutch pedal to the floor when engaging reverse.

At this stage I can kind of tell when it hasn't gone into reverse fully. And no matter how hard I try I can not get reverse with out going back to neutral , releasing the clutch pedal and pressing it down again.

Not really a big problem but would like to know why it happens. And is it a sign of problems in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

usually putting the car into neutral, pressing the clutch down and letting it back up, then engaging reverse stops this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yup that's right. Are you saying this is normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's not normal, but more a 'characteristic' - i.e. if what colm says sorts it out, it's probably not worth the bother or expense of having the gearbox replaced/repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ushuaia

What I do when the reverse gear refuses to get engaged is I put on first gear and then engage reverse again. There's no need to release the clutch: I keep it pressed down move the stick to first gear and then to reverse. I works very well.

Advertisement