Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The return of El Fenomeno?

• 24-08-2007 9:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

So apparently Ronaldo put on laods of weight because of a glandular condition and this has been sorted out by the good people at MilanLab, meaning that since he joined Milan in january he las lost 5kgs, which is a fair ammount.

Carlo and the squad have been talking his change up in the last few weeks.

Could he really be back?

Channel4.com
    Milan striker Ronaldo has found a solution to his weight problems and slimmed down for the new season.

The Brazilian has often been ridiculed for carrying excess weight, but the root cause is a medical condition known as hypothyroidism where a lack of hormones are produced by the thyroid gland.

During his time with the Rossoneri, El Fenomeno has lost a total of over 5kgs and has shaken off the taunts he recieved in Spain, where he was dubbed ‘El Gordo’ or ‘the fat one’ by certain sections of the Spanish Press.

An intense pre-season training schedule, coupled with a new course of medication, has seen Ronaldo become noticably thinner this summer, much to boss Carlo Ancelotti’s delight.

“You will see him very soon and it will be a surprise for everyone,” the Diavolo tactician told the Press.

“He looks like a model and he will have a great season. He is motivated and wants to demonstrate that he is of the world’s best strikers.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tbh being fat didnt stop him being top scorer in every league he has played in, thoughts of a fit Ronaldo are quite scary.

useless off the ball but once the ball comes near him he is lighting on it, dont think being fat was his reason for having bad season last year more so needed a change.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He is actually deceptivly quick. Over 10 yards he'd leave players for dead.

Might have had a stamina issue but in short bursts he is incredible. Some player . Love to see Liverpool buy him.

Stekelly wrote:

Might have had a stamina issue but in short bursts he is incredible. Some player . Love to see Liverpool buy him.

Always thought he was the perfect striker for Man Utd meself :p

Would finish the approach play perfectly.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

One player who is pretty universally loved by football fans. Just a joy to watch, even if his style has changed somewhat over the years from his insanely brilliant Barca days of "head down, run straight for goal, score".

Would love to see him back to full fitness again. Thank you MilanLab!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

had him in that top 5 players thread , think he is phenomenal , incredible goalscoring record at every club he's been at . If its true about the weight then Milan need not worry about goalscoring as he was doing great for them anyway even without this weightloss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The footballing world needs the (real) Ronaldo back before he vanishes into obscurity. There's life in the old dog yet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He looked the part last season, and this season, I think he'll destroy the Serie A. What a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Has a lot to prove I think, which will hopefully spur him on. Unbelievably good player - can't wait to watch him back in Italy.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=WH13gCEaHVs

Has a lot to prove I think, which will hopefully spur him on. ]

To who?

304 goals in 387 professional games.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

KdjaCL wrote:
    To who?

304 goals in 387 professional games.

kdjac

I don't mean that he doesn't deserve any of the praise he gets, or that he has to prove he is a great - because he is. But he received a lot of criticism towards the end of his Madrid career and especially around the World Cup, the conventional media wisdom was that he was passed it. I do think this bothered him, because anyone who really knows about football and Ronaldo himself knew that this wasn't the case at all. Now, if he's back in shape and the main man in Milan, I have no doubt he will be gagging to show just how wrong everyone was. And I'm sure he will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I was linked to a pic of Ronaldo with his son on the beach during the summer, and honestly i was shocked at the shape he is in. AC have put him on a diet and he is in better shape than i have ever seen him.

A fully fit Ronaldo enhances an already exellent AC squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

At his best he was probably the best striker ever to play the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

eirebhoy wrote:
    At his best he was probably the best striker ever to play the game.

A lot of posters will probably jump on that comment, but I definetely agree with you. I was in awe of him when he was at Barca and his first season at Inter...the ultimate striker.

For me not much between him and Van Basten...the dutchman probably shading it because of his better aerial ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Remember watching him for PSV in the CL years ago, scoring that amazing overhead confirmed he was much more than 'talent'.

He was devasting for Barca, and was and still is a total goal machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Its sad though isnt it? one of the best strikers ever and he is now just a joke to every one. I hope he does well now tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

In my opinion, the best player of all time. People say he's lost it - he hasnt, the've just lost interest. His goals to games ratio is still breathtaking. Has ripped defenses to shreds in every league he's played in. I think it wa 53 goals in 50 games for PSV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Agree with the few here about his position in the game; I think he's right up there with the very best to ever play the game. Easily the greatest striker of our generation. And before for that matter.
    Watching him play for Barcelona and then Inter before his horrific injury is so enjoyable. The footage you can see on youtube compiled of his brilliance is absolutely terrifying to watch. He literally destroys teams; his pace (as fast as Henry in my opinion) but also the power he had was incredible. There are a couple of goals he got in that amazing season with Barcelona where he visibly bursts through challenges where two and more players are trying to sandwich him. An absolutely awesome player.
    As people have said-even with the extra weight he always scored a ton of goals. Really annoyed me when friends would try and annoy me by calling him fat etc. Would love to see him get back to his old ways; tricks on the ball in the manner of which Ronaldinho tends to play the game now. Which is hopeful considering I felt he was noticably more skillfull on the ball when he moved to Milan last season after leaving Real.

I hope he comes back. Ragardless of who u support etc, REAL football fans appreciate the likes of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gustavo wrote:

Whats the deal with the size of the numbers on the Empoli jerseys? Are they for the visually impaired or what?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I hope he comes back. Ragardless of who u support etc, REAL football fans appreciate the likes of him.

Its quotes like that which irritate me - you say you hope he comes back - when exactly did he go away? He has constantly played quality football at the highest level. Its not as if he went **** and played for Bolton for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

He is the best striker of all time & with Kaka along side him next season I think every other team on the planet is doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tdv wrote:
    He is the best striker of all time & with Kaka along side him next season I think every other team on the planet is doomed.

im thinking about backing him for top scorer in Champions League this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Advertisement