Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An unsual question!

• 24-08-2007 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as the title says it an unsual question. I'm planning on doing my first fancy dress marathon in Dublin this year, I don't see it as a major concern, however, I would be interested in hearing from others who have gone marathon distance in a costume. Are there any particular difficulties to consider. As part of the costume involves wearing a mask, [I don't mind doing it, however I don't necessarily want to be recognised;) ]

My main concern would be over heating and I'm experienced enough to deal with that. Another concern of running in new kit will be addressed by doing the half marathon in costume as a test run and deal with any difficulites noted there. Anything I'm missing?

I only do one charity event a year you all know why if you do the odd charity run, so I'm going with fancy dress as a fundraising tool. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

dunno about a marathon, but i did a 10k wearing a wig and regretted every minute of it. Never again. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

cunnins4 wrote:
    dunno about a marathon, but i did a 10k wearing a wig and regretted every minute of it. Never again. Ever.

Would you mind elaborating, what was the exact difficulty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

The only other peroblem I could forsee is chaffing but the half will probably be enough to test that issue also.

Cheers for that just trying to cover all the bases, but as you said the half should make me aware of any difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Odysseus wrote:
    Would you mind elaborating, what was the exact difficulty?

forgot i had a post in this thread, sorry for delaying in replying.

Well, it was a sunny day, and it was a dark wig. I got so unbelievably hot underneath it, i thought i'd fall over at the end. Only reason i kept it on was because people were cheering me on for wearing it! I felt so sick at the end. Also, the hair kept getting caught in my mouth and i had a bit of stubble on my face and that acted like velcro for the wig and it just got matted to my face. I enjoyed the cheers, but i'd never do it again because it was so hot. I can only imagine what a full fancy dress outfit would feel like. Sure even a heavier t-shirt/shorts are roasting compared to my usual cheapo thin thing that i wear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DRUIDSGIRL

Odysseus wrote:
    Hi all, as the title says it an unsual question. I'm planning on doing my first fancy dress marathon in Dublin this year, I don't see it as a major concern, however, I would be interested in hearing from others who have gone marathon distance in a costume.

I have done 16 full marathons so far - and have seen some very interesting costumes, such as the famous Rhino costumes I saw in London and New York, to clowns, and spongebob squarepants... the most novel was a centurion in Rome earlier this year... I have seen some VERY sore people who didn't prepare properly... If you have ANY weight bearing on the shoulders (inc back pack) your shoulders are really going to hurt, if you have a mask on your face don't forget that you will need sustenance whether it be a power bar, gel, or plain ordinary water - make sure you can access your mouth easily... your head also will sweat profusely, you will have noticed in your training the sweat pouring from your brow - how will this feel under a mask? The clothes you wear must be breathable otherwise you could have problems.. On the other hand, my centurion friend in Rome with helmet and steel body armour along with his spear did finish in 26 deg C and then collpased from heat exhaustion... Rhinos shoulders - very sore, spongebob was well prepared with weight bearing straps and encased in a cage lowering centre of gravity also fan inside! Personally I wouldn't do one fancy dress.... the most inspiring was a guy I met in NYC last Nov, he lost both his legs below the knee, and he did the 26.2 miles on "blades" - thats inspirtaional - tried to upload photo but not sure how!!!! Whatever you do, enjoy the day!

Cheers for that, I just ordered the costume now so I guess I'm commited to it now. I generally get some instant carbo donw my neck at the half marathon stage so I can just remove the mask for that. I alway run with a 3lt camelbak so once I have the costume I can work out how I will address that. I doing is as V from V for vendatta so it just the mask, wig, hat and cape, the rest of my kit can be black tech kit. The main thing for me is to enjoy it as you said, it not going to be my quickest marathon, but if it raises a bit of cash and I have a laugh that will be plently.

Advertisement