Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel tank leak

Options
  • 24-08-2007 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Filling up with petrol this evening, noticed it was leaking out of the bottom of the car in a quite alarming manner. I must have hit a rock or something.

Anyway, before I bring it off to a garage, I'm just wondering if it will necessitate a replacement tank, or can I just get it welded, or patched up for the moment at least, or if there is some sort of sealant that can be used?. The tear is about an inch long.

I'm assuming that if it can be welded, it will have to be removed from the car, the tank emptied of petrol, then welded, then put back. Its a BMW E46 3 Series, anyone any idea how much I'm likely to get charged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm not aware of any 'sealers' or patch jobs that are available (I could be wrong). But, tbh, the best solution is to probably replace the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Slick de ville

As far as I know you can get repair kits...I patched my own a few years back with silicone...worked a treat but wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

HAd a small leak on a petrol tank a few years ago, there was a leak in the filler neck and the car was parked on a hill with a full tank, anyway this council worker came along and put in a call to the fire brigade, street closed off, gardai called, ended up having to pay 650 pounds in 2001 to the council for the fire brigade callout. :eek:

probably not necessary as there was only a small drip and only a small amount of petrol spilt. :mad:

be carefull if you have a leak that the fire brigade are not called.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dingding wrote:
    be carefull if you have a leak that the fire brigade are not called.

pesky fire brigade putting out fires all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stky10 wrote:
    I'm assuming that if it can be welded, it will have to be removed from the car, the tank emptied of petrol, then welded, then put back
    Would it not do that itself? :D

On a more serious note, it may be better to get a replacement one from a frontal damaged car in a breakers yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

ouch thats a costly one. you definitely need a replacement as the tank is plastic.it is awkward to remove too so labour on this will be high.
    check out this schematic.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AM31&mospid=47638&btnr=16_0372&hg=16&fg=05&hl=2

I drive an e46 325i which is very hard on juice without any leaks.I can't imaginr what yours is like at the moment!:eek:

good luck with this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Id recommned Robert Furley in Kilskyre outside Kells or AC car sales in Dublin if you want to go down the root of tank replacement. Seem very reasonable & honest, having used them both on many occasions on my E36.

Advertisement