Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target shooting for 'erself

Options
  • 24-08-2007 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

My "significant other" has now expressed an interest in target shooting.
    Me being a rough shooter at best, don't have a clue as to where to even start looking at clubs, guns, lessons etc.

A) I thought maybe air rifles would be a good starter for her... where would I even start to look for a target (?) air-rifle? What should I even look for?

B) I shoot a brno .22lr, but only when I'm in the mood of a wander around the fields for a few rabbits, so I'd be able to show her the basics of rifle shooting, but I'd like her to get some target shooting lessons if possible.

C) We're living in Goatstown, Dublin, any ideas where the most local club would be to us?

D) My firearms are still registered to my parents address in County Dublin. Myself and herself live in an apartment in Goatstown now..... what are the chances of her getting a fac? Anyone know what Dundrum Gards are like for issuing fac's? Any issues about living in a apartment?

E) Is there anywhere she can try it out before we start spending dollars!

Give me my shotgun, my german pointer and a crisp winter's morning anyday!:D

Thanks for the help!

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Go to Miidalnd Rifle range, tullamore, you can rent a .22 for her and some of the lads will coach if you ask ?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Thanks for that bunnyshooter!
    Where is Midlands? Have they a website perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

BRC is practically on your doorstep compared to Midland - see att.

Or "East Coast" - a bit further away, but cheaper.

http://eastcoastshootingclub.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Or Wilkinstown if air rifle is what you're thinking...
    http://www.wilkinstowntargetshootingclub.org

Sandy, last I heard, BRC was closed for new membership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Air rifle may be the best to start with. No recoil, very precise and inexpensive if you can use club gear. She isn't by any chance an ex or current UCD student? As that would give her access to the UCD facilities for a very low cost and right on your doorstep!

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:

Don't know - you may well be right. But for the short distance from Goatstown it wouldn't be a completely wasted trip - you'd see what a nicely appointed shooting club looked like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

pampers wrote:
    Thanks for that bunnyshooter!
    Where is Midlands? Have they a website perchance?

www.nrai.ie

Tel. 087 2613041 Jim Griffin, lovely man

Sparks wrote:
    Or Wilkinstown if air rifle is what you're thinking...
    http://www.wilkinstowntargetshootingclub.org

Evidently not closed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055133450&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Evidently now. You'd wish people running clubs would push that kind of information out a bit more :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cmd17hmr

i can gurantee you that if your like me your gf is a lot better than you

with my 17 nd 22 my gf puts me to shame shooting sicking groups a 100-150 yards

im trying to get her to enter competitions but shes happy plinking targets.try ypur half on a 22 nd see how she is there is no point in telling her she cant use a MANS 22 and get her to start on air rifles she will have no confidence at all if you put her down b4 she starts

• Advertisement
Advertisement