Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bioshock - whats the fuss?

• 25-08-2007 12:13am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Im currently downloadin the demo of this out of curiousity from all the banter im hearin around the place. Whats the fuss about tho? Why is there such a hype/buzz about the game? (i know very little about it!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Go read the reviews. Type in "bioshock review" in google and hear what people have to say about it. Simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=81479

It's pretty damn good so far, doesn't quite live up to the hype for me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

I downloaded this the other day. It's good and all, but it isn't exactly the second coming of the gaming gods or anything.

That's Halo 3 right? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

GStormcrow wrote:
    Go read the reviews. Type in "bioshock review" in google and hear what people have to say about it. Simple

i was more interested in what boardsies had to say, duh! Magazine reviews can be biased.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Oirthir wrote:
    I downloaded this the other day. It's good and all, but it isn't exactly the second coming of the gaming gods or anything.

yeah i played the demo this mornin, its good but not revolutionary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Its a good game alright but nowhere near the standard System Shock 2 set at all. Bioshock is too simplistic and not complicated enough.

They could have done so much more with this game, sad really:(.

Its exactly like what happened between Deus Ex and Deus Ex 2, the second game was made too simplistic and was more of a step back than forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Spotweldjunkie

I started bioshock yesterday and i think its a great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I've been playing it myself and I think its good. I never listen to hype or anything like that. To me the game has a good story, graphics and game play. I'm not too sure how long its going to last me tho. I find these days that single player games seem to only last 6 - 10 hours these days. well except blue dragon im 50 hours into that one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Bioshock is said to be a good bit longer than your average FPS these days. I have seen between 25-30 hours to finish it depending on the difficulty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well having played it for a good eight - ten hours at this point, I must say it is totally worth it. The demo actually doesn't represent the actual game all that well - the opening is much more cinematic and scripted than the rest of the game. It is the deepest shooter I have played, with massive customisation and atmosphere.

Honestly, if you have any curiosity at all, pick it up. Around level 3 or 4, you will certainly not regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Well having played it for a good eight - ten hours at this point, I must say it is totally worth it. The demo actually doesn't represent the actual game all that well - the opening is much more cinematic and scripted than the rest of the game. It is the deepest shooter I have played, with massive customisation and atmosphere.

Honestly, if you have any curiosity at all, pick it up. Around level 3 or 4, you will certainly not regret it.

i agree, its one of the best games ever made. it wees all over gears.

im about 7 hourse into it.
    if that was a normal fps shooter it would be finished by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

I agree with anyone who is saying anything good about BioShock. I honestly have no idea how many hours I've played, but I think I'm around the halfway mark... I'm just glad they didn't try to smush any multiplayer into it now, it would definately have taken away from the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Have to say what I played of the demo (which wasn't much - I do plan to go back and do more) just made it seem like a typical corridor shooter with really good graphics and sound. Right now I'd put it behind Crackdown and Vegas as far as being the best game on the 360 goes, but maybe I need to give it more of a chance. I have a feeling I'm not going to like it though because it reminds me so much of the hype around Half Life 2, which I also never saw as being any more than just another FPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I like my sleep, a lot.

I've now been awake for about 24 hours now playing bioshock.

As I'vr got older (30+) games excite me less and I've found myself more dissappointed then amazed.

This game has kept me awake and amazed me like no other game ever has before. I was able to point at it and tell my girlfriend who watched me play for over an hour - "This is why I play video games"

If you've a 360 or a high end PC you owe it to yourself to get this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Without a doubt it's the best game to come out on the 360!! Bye bye sleep for the next couple of weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Right, I'm gonna play through the demo fully after all this praise! There must be something I'm missing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What a wonderful game, forget all that open sandbox crap and give me a linear game with great story telling and buckets of atmosphere.
    The game itself is beautiful to behold, from the water surrounding you at the opening to the degraded interior of Rapture itself, the art design a very strong element, making the city a character in the game itself, not unlike the mansion in ResiEvil or Peaches castle in Mario64.
    The game itself feels not dissimilar to HalfLife, but I see that as a good thing, regarding HalfLife as one of the best games on any system, ever.
    The Big Daddy/Little Sister thing is seriously creepy, designed to undermine and corrupt normal adult/child relationship expectations, and the rest of the population, both living and otherwise seem to do their best to either scare you or make your skin crawl, please step forward Mum with pram!

No this game is probably the best thing I've played since Silent Hill 2 and could turn out to be one of those games still appearing in retrospectives in 10/15 years hence, just like System Shock 2 is today, Looking Glass, one of the greatest software houses ever, along with Flight Unlimited and Thief, super sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Yeah this game is amazing so fecking creepy and atmospheric to boot only got it today so not that far in to it but so far so good:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Its the only game I've dreamed about. Its pretty short though, finished it today but I did spend almost 2 whole days doing nothing but play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Not really spoilers bellow, but just some discriptions of game play. Just thought I'd give a warning incase you wanna discover it all on your own.
    (Doesn't really spoil anything though!;) )

All I can say is wow!

If you played the demo, and thought it was just another FPS, then please, for the love of Gene, buy the actual game.

I've never played a game like it.
    The graphics, sound, game-play, customisation, lay-out, and AI, are all top notch. Better than top notch even! But that just adds to the greatness, not makes it.

I've never played a game where I can actually feel my moral compass tweaking at every turn!

The way that you actually feel actual a wrenching in your gut, when faced with the choice of killing or saving the first little sister!

The way that you discover the story of Rapture bit by bit along the way by finding the disparate recordings of the citizens.

The way that this is the first game that I can remember since Resi 2 that makes me stop when wait when I hear a creak or a laugh around a corner (and this does it x1,000,000)!

The different path and choices, that make it seem like it's a non-linear game, but still keeps you going at a set pace.

This is more than just a game, it's what gaming is all about!

This will be one of the games that people will talk about as something that started a change in gaming IMO.

• Advertisement

The way that you actually feel actual a wrenching in your gut, when faced with the choice of killing or saving the first little sister!
    i actually thought it would be a bigger deal than it was. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Its odd that given the games quality that more hasn't been made of it, although its audience is quite limited to adult gamers, not sure the shlock, violence hungry teen gamers out there would really get it, GTA being a tad lowbrow afterall. I must say, it is none the less visceral, reminding me of clocking folk with the crowbar in HL and with lead pipes in Condemned, perhaps not as highbrow after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I've just played the Demo, so can't comment on the full game yet. I thought the Visuals and sound in general were good - they set the scene well and built atmosphere. Even Atlas the 'Oirish' chappie is a bit of a laugh - it's not often you hear an Irish guy in major games (other than GAA on the PS2 :))

There is a genuine shock / surprise value to certain parts (see: Mammy with the pram) and a sense of threat in other parts (listening to peoples recordings, or at the start in the lighthouse with "Beyond the sea" playing in the background) that make you wary of your surroundings.

Other things were niggles that took away from it for me - the Demo's small, but I saw the same Bad Guy character models appearing over and over again. In a couple of places you were unsure if you'd actually killed them properly in the first place, or if they respawned after a certain time. This can be quite confusing if there are a number of them coming for you.
    The 'Swim' at the start while visually great moved like you're running on top of the water (you go at the same speed as if you were on dry ground).
    Maybe I'm used to other FPS games, but I kind of missed the 'duck for cover' aspect.

Also, if you died during a "security lockdown" you got teleported back into the middle of the same skirmish as before (more or less), meaning another couple of deaths before you clear the area.

Maybe the full game irons out some of these niggles and the extra Telekenesis (?) and stuff adds to it.

I was impressed enough by it, and you get into the game world quite quickly as it sets the scene brilliantly. Not sure I'll be running out to buy it immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yeah I watched it being played for 3 hours on friday and while I didn't think the gameplay was anything new or overly impressive (from that limited sample). The characters and world of Rapture are class. You just instantly want to find out more about the history of the place.

Like the Big Daddy and little sister combo is just character creation like it should be. For years we've been suffering main character wankery like Crash Bandicoot (a piss poor Sonic copy) and then here these guys come. When you hear the droning and heavy steps around a corner your senses just fire up "Oh yeah, Big Daddy fight here I come"

As I said i didn't think the playing of the game was anything to write home about but my oh my I cant wait for it to be delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

The one thing I don't like about the game is the whole respawn idea.
    For example while fighting a big daddy I ran out of ammo and could only fire one incinerate blast and then hit him with the wrench - die - respawn - repeat.
    I'm playing it on hard but its not actually that hard. You're actually better off in some cases if you die - more health & EVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭jusmeig

I'd be careful...Bioshock caused someones PC to explode ;)
    Do a search for Bioshock and read the first article!

PC Game Blog Ireland

i completed it yesterday, great game.

just finished it yesterday- what a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

jusmeig wrote:
    I'd be careful...Bioshock caused someones PC to explode ;)
    Do a search for Bioshock and read the first article!

PC Game Blog Ireland

Nice spam. Your blog doesn't metnion an exploding PC.

Besides, if any game makes someone PC explode, it's because it was inadequately cooled in the first place and would ahve happened sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

erm... I think he was just messing, highlighting what a good game it is!

I've seen the blog you are talking about, very funny stuff!

I'm gonna pick this game up at the weekend

Advertisement