Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marking schemes!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Oh wait now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Heres an interesting question, I wonder how many of these maths nerds doing TP or CS are male/female. No way of really knowing on boards, I just assume that most of ye are male, seeing that lads tend to be more interested and have a more logical mind than women

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I heard it was something like a 10-1 ratio in TP, but I may be wildly off. I presume they have the statistic buried somewhere on the trinity website. Sure you'll find out soon enough anyway. : p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

rjt wrote:
    MathsManiac: What course are you doing? It seems that all the maths people are doing TP or CS.

Did my LC years ago, and subsequently did maths in TCD.

I've just been popping into the LC forum for a few months out of interest, as I was a maths teacher for a while.

(Hence, Dan719: don't be put off by the fact that I was in a position to point out a dodgy proof; after all, it was part of my job!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

sd123 wrote:
    Heres an interesting question, I wonder how many of these maths nerds doing TP or CS are male/female. No way of really knowing on boards, I just assume that most of ye are male, seeing that lads tend to be more interested and have a more logical mind than women
    I put it down to social conditioning rather than a less logical mind, personally.

And I'm male and doing CS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

Did my LC years ago, and subsequently did maths in TCD.

I've just been popping into the LC forum for a few months out of interest, as I was a maths teacher for a while.

(Hence, Dan719: don't be put off by the fact that I was in a position to point out a dodgy proof; after all, it was part of my job!)

Ah, fair enough.

And FWIW, I'm male, and doing maths. I agree with JC2k3, especially when it comes to CS. I was at the Informatics Olympíad last month, and although there were relatively few girls, those that did compete semed to do disproportionately well. There also happened to be a girl on the Irish team too, who proved herself to be better than 20 or so guys at the Irish Science Olympíad last December.

Edit: The filter seems not to like the word 'Olympía'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I would think the course I'm heading into (Financial and Aactuarial Mathematics) would be one of the courses dominated by males.

Hey i resent being called a maths nerd! :D yeah mathsmaniac that makes me feel better actually, I was under the impression you were the same age as me!

dan719 wrote:
    I was under the impression you were the same age as me!

FWIW that's bad grammar. :D:D

My sincerest apologies, 'I was under the impression that you were the same age as myself'. Also i'm pretty sure FWIW is poor grammer also. Jokes.

• Advertisement

dan719 wrote:
    My sincerest apologies, 'I was under the impression that you were the same age as myself'. Also i'm pretty sure FWIW is poor grammer also. Jokes.

I was under the impression that you were the same age as I, it should be:D but point taken nontheless. Just being an awkward bastrad tbh :)

Hey what would boards be without pedantic nick-picking- it's at least half the fun.:D

dan719 wrote:
    Hey what would boards be without pedantic nick-picking- it's at least half the fun.:D

LOL :D

Actually, I think Dan719's initial grammatical construction is quite defensible, even in the company of pedants. It depends on whether you consider the "as" to be used as a preposition or a conjunction. You'll find rows about it on the web if you want.

Check out:
    http://209.10.134.179/64/C001/052.html

I'm guessing a grammatical debate on this point will be inconclusive here (neither side will convince the other). This is not uncommon in debates on grammar!

^^ no, in this instance, it is simple.

Which would you say?
    I was under the impression that you were the same age as I am.
    I was under the impression that you were the same age as me am.

Thats why 'me' is wrong, I is right

pardon the pun on grammar :D:D

EDIT: Screw what I just wrote, dictionary.com pwns all:
    4.(used in place of I or me after as, than, or but): "He knows as much about the matter as myself."
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/myself

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

carlowboy wrote:
    I would think the course I'm heading into (Financial and Aactuarial Mathematics) would be one of the courses dominated by males.

My friend is doing that in DCU and she's female...so that's one anyway!

sd123 wrote:
    ^^ no, in this instance, it is simple.

Which would you say?
    I was under the impression that you were the same age as I am.
    I was under the impression that you were the same age as me am.

Thats why 'me' is wrong, I is right

pardon the pun on grammar :D:D

Ah, but life is rarely so simple. (I was afraid you wouldn't let it go!)

Would you employ the same argument to assert that:
    "He came in after me." is wrong; it should be "He came in after I", because it's a shortened version of "He came in after I did"? That's clearly flawed.

As I pointed out, it all hinges on whether you consider the "as" to be a conjunction with ellipsis of the following verb (as you clearly do), or as a preposition. In the former case, then "I" is correct. This would have certainly been the approach of 19th century prescriptive grammarians, and is still favoured by many. However, many other grammarians now argue that the "as" is functioning as a preposition here, so that "me" is correct. Collins Good English Guide, for example, would indicate that "me" is correct here.

I believe that most modern authorities would accept that both are perfectly acceptable.

You can start lining up authoritative references on one side, and I could start lining them up on the other, but I don't think we'll get anywhere.

(You may have noticed, by the way, that I never said that Dan's construction was correct - only that it was defensible! ;) )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Since we're gone so wildly off topic here...can I ask those doing Theoretical Physics, what line of work do TP graduates generally end up in?

Are there enough jobs in that field in Ireland or do most of the graduates go on to further study/work elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

lol, most people in TP switch to pure maths before they graduate... :)

• Advertisement

spurious wrote:
    Since we're gone so wildly off topic here...can I ask those doing Theoretical Physics, what line of work do TP graduates generally end up in?

Are there enough jobs in that field in Ireland or do most of the graduates go on to further study/work elsewhere?

Good question, i was kinda wondering that myself :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

sd123 wrote:
    Good question, i was kinda wondering that myself :rolleyes:
    From what I hear,a lot of people that do TP go on to do a post-grad.

It seems also that quite a few use it to get into banking.(which realistically means going lo London/New York/Zurich etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Agree with Sean_K, apparently its the ideal degree if you want to do a post grad in quantitive finance, which leads to jobs in hedge funds etc and banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I was told by someone who works as a trader that unless you do a PhD, theres no jobs to be had with a Physics degree on its own. Which is why I'm doing a Maths degree:D .

Who cares about jobs at this stage? That's what doing a postgrad is for. Right now you should be doing somehting you're interested in.

E92 wrote:
    I was told by someone who works as a trader that unless you do a PhD, theres no jobs to be had with a Physics degree on its own. Which is why I'm doing a Maths degree:D .

Proof Physics>Maths. Boardsies can skip- you've seen it before.

In T.P you study maths and physics.
    We can write this as Maths+Physics=T.P
    Physics>0 because physics rocks
    Maths+ a positive value> Maths
    Therefore T.P>Maths.

Q.E.D
    :D

dan719 wrote:
    Physics>0 because physics rocks
    Geology>Physics.

:d

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rjt

E92 wrote:

Whahay, 'bout time someone else here was doing maths. Where?

• Advertisement

In many brittish universities, you can enter the TP course with an Irish LC, study it for 4 years and be awarded an Msci degree. Now i believe that you study TP in Trinity for 4 years to be awarded a Bsci degree. Just thought i'd throw it out there.

Advertisement