Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Tyre?

Options
  • 25-08-2007 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Haven't had the best of look with tyres recently, everything I've got has worn really quickly. For MK2 Mondeo with 15" alloys (195/50/15). Currently considering:

Toyo Proxes TR-1
    Bridgestone Turanza
    Uniroyle rallye 550

Looking for experiences and open to suggestions. Not into highspeed performance etc., want a tyre that with last a few miles.

Tnx in advnc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Early MkII Mondeos are known for excessive tyre wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Ah ok, thanks for the heads up but dosen't help with the choice. Anyways, its not an early MKII its the last year they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

wingnut wrote:
    its not an early MKII its the last year they made.

Ahh right, tyre wear is not an issue with the later MkII.

What prices are the tyres your list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I had the Toyo's - great tyres, but wear quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I switched from Pirrelli to Bridgestone because I was told they would wear better. But they look crap in comparison. The Pirrellis had a lovely square profile.

• Advertisement

Yeah I love the look of the Perelli p6000's but they get bad reviews generally. The tyres I am looking at in general are around €60 each give or take from Eiretyres. I can get four of them fitted and balanced locally for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had very good wear & grip from a set of Yokahama A539s a couple of years back. (195/65R15)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Mk2 Mondeos didn't have 15 inch tyres. It was 16 inches minimum. So the tyres in question are incorrect.

In any case, the Bridgestone Turanzas would get my vote. My old pair's Avensis had them and they got over 35,000 miles from them. They now have Pirelli P6000's on them, and they are noiser and less comfortable than the Turanzas they replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

commited wrote:
    I had the Toyo's - great tyres, but wear quickly.
    My T1-R's seem to be wearing at the normal rate

Correction - Tyre size is 195/60/15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Tyres have a wear rating on the sidewall. The higher the number, the longer they should last. See here for more details.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyres-ratings-nhtsa/tyre-wear-ratings.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have Toyo Proxes T1-R tyres at the moment. They are a very good tyre but I don't think they will wear that long. They are a soft compound tyre and are designed for great grip rather than longativity imo.

If you want a long wearing tyre you probably need to look at hard compound tyres. Maybe something like the Vreidestein Ultratrac.

Advertisement