Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G2 Irish Intelligence

Options
  • 25-08-2007 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any information on G2? I wasn't aware we even had a military intel branch. All I can find is a wikipedia article

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ox

Every Army has an Intelligence Branch, and most are named G2. Staff (planning, admin, etc) branches in western armies are named G - G1 Branch: Responsible for personnel matters including manning, discipline and personal services; G2 Branch: Responsible for intelligence and security; G3 Branch: Responsible for operations including staff duties, exercise planning, training, requirements, combat development & tactical doctrine; G4 Branch: Logistics and quartering; G5 Branch: Civil and military co-operation.

Hence, "G2" is just the Irish equivilent of an activity found in most of the world's armies, and I suspect its remit is basically responding to threats identified by the Gardai (who are the state's primary intelligence agency) and vetiing those who seek to join the Defence Forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Two Stripes

Ox wrote:
    vetiing those who seek to join the Defence Forces.

Is that not what the Garda clearance check is all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 G2MPI

Conor108 wrote: »
    Anyone have any information on G2? I wasn't aware we even had a military intel branch. All I can find is a wikipedia article

Yes, the Irish Goverment does have a secret intelligence service, however it is not known as G2 and it is not run by the GBI.

The Irish Intelligence Agency is Managed by a a fraction of the Irish Army Rangers Unit in collaboration with Irish Army Military Police Officers,,,

The unit is so secret that it actually does not exist on paper,,,

This unit is an investigation unit,,,with National Security Privileges,,,

This unit contains Diplomatic Protection Powers, their agents are armed licensed to kill.

It is quite amusing to discover that so many people are unaware of their existence...

They maintain a close contact with the British MI6 unit and also collaborate with counter intelligence agencies at a world wide level,,

The difference between, the "G2" and other intelligence agencies is crystal clear, on paper they do not exist,,,

Their status is Political,,, and they are entitled to rights only available to the President of Ireland in relation to political veto,,,,

They simply,,, DO NOT EXIST

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

G2MPI wrote: »
    This unit contains Diplomatic Protection Powers, their agents are armed licensed to kill.

Their status is Political,,, and they are entitled to rights only available to the President of Ireland in relation to political veto,,,,

ya right :pac:

i know a guy whos drinks in my local and hes always talken about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Yes, the Irish Goverment does have a secret intelligence service, however it is not known as G2 and it is not run by the GBI.

The Irish Intelligence Agency is Managed by a a fraction of the Irish Army Rangers Unit in collaboration with Irish Army Military Police Officers,,,

It is quite amusing to discover that so many people are unaware of their existence...

They maintain a close contact with the British MI6 unit and also collaborate with counter intelligence agencies at a world wide level,,

The difference between, the "G2" and other intelligence agencies is crystal clear, on paper they do not exist,,,

Did anyone else read this post in the same voice as the guy at the start of The A Team??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVonyVSQoM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Ox wrote: »
    Every Army has an Intelligence Branch, and most are named G2. Staff (planning, admin, etc) branches in western armies are named G - G1 Branch: Responsible for personnel matters including manning, discipline and personal services; G2 Branch: Responsible for intelligence and security; G3 Branch: Responsible for operations including staff duties, exercise planning, training, requirements, combat development & tactical doctrine; G4 Branch: Logistics and quartering; G5 Branch: Civil and military co-operation.

Hence, "G2" is just the Irish equivilent of an activity found in most of the world's armies, and I suspect its remit is basically responding to threats identified by the Gardai (who are the state's primary intelligence agency) and vetiing those who seek to join the Defence Forces.

We have G2 as you described above, within the DF's Brigade's.

We then have G2, in the Int unit sense. They are not one in the same.

Pure and utter shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The only info people will find on G2 is what's on the Wikipedia article.

Anyone coming on here claiming to know all about G2, how it's run, who works there etc. is talking shite and you can guarantee they've never spent a day serving in G2 and most likely in the DF either.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

It takes a real armchair expert to know about G2 :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

I loved the "licensed to kill bit"!! Since they dont exist im sure they didnt protect the queen or kidnap shergar in a sneaky plot for conspiracy theorists.........:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

gatecrash wrote: »
    Did anyone else read this post in the same voice as the guy at the start of The A Team??

Two fingers to you recession!

I'm off to TG4 with a new action series as gaeilge presentation :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

gatecrash wrote: »

In 1922, a secret intelligence service was formed by the military command...

Rumoured to be Managed by members of a group known as the Stranger Wing, The unit is so secret that it actually does not exist on paper...

This unit is an investigation unit,,,with National Security Privileges...

Armed with Diplomatic Protection Powers, their agents are licensed to kill...

These men keep close contact with MI6 and collaborate with counter intelligence agencies at a world wide level,,

If you have a problem,

if no one else can help,

and if you can find them,

maybe you can hire... The G2-Team.

*cue theme tune to The A Team*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

So what does "MPI" stand for in the G2 username context?

Presumably not "Mean Point of Impact"

I think I'm going to go with the "Neither confirm nor deny" way of thinking. As there's so little information on G2 out there, someone could post the honest truth and it would be no more believable than some waltish idea dreamed up by someone who once read Andy McNab's book.

NTM

My God! How did you know Andy McNabb was in G2??? Thought that was still classified.Heard he once "tabbed" 75k while avoiding roaming bands of sheep across kildare.............

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

Suggested reading:

Defending Ireland: the Irish state and its enemies since 1922

By Eunan O'Halpin 1999

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

wow I bet the secret service aka "crime and security" or C3 are furious with the lack of recognition even after there miserable budget was doubled!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

wow I bet the secret service aka "crime and security" or C3 are furious with the lack of recognition even after there miserable budget was doubled!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

etc.

So many things wrong with above I don't know where to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

etc.

So many things wrong with above I don't know where to start.
    Well you could address the individual assertions made and explain why you consider them incorrect.
    Not everyone who reads this thread is going to know anything much about the subject. It would be good if some information was presented in it, and it seems like you feel you could contribute to that.
    But um if the HAHAHAHA response is what works for you go with that I guess.

1. Crime and security is a Branch of Garda Siochana. Nothing secret about it.
    2. Secret Service budget is an amount available, rather than an actual unit.
    3. "their" not "there"
    4. C3 = Communications, Command and Control. Also known as the radio room.

So to continue..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Or maybe, if you prefer, I'm just here to provide disinformation.. cos some people were just gettin too damn close to the truth?

is mise,
    Seamus ó Banna, naid, naid, seacht, ar an Serbhís rúnda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I bet you C4 are so red with rage at their role not being acknowledged at all, that they're gonna explode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

The Secret Service provisions in the budget is just money earmarked in the Department of Finance for the payment of garda informants etc. Nothing overly glamourous or secretive about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

1. Crime and security is a Branch of Garda Siochana. Nothing secret about it.
    2. Secret Service budget is an amount available, rather than an actual unit.
    3. "their" not "there"
    4. C3 = Communications, Command and Control. Also known as the radio room.

So to continue..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Or maybe, if you prefer, I'm just here to provide disinformation.. cos some people were just gettin too damn close to the truth?

is mise,
    Seamus ó Banna, naid, naid, seacht, ar an Serbhís rúnda.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20020609/ai_n12841499/

Even google can tell you that post of yours is full of swiss cheese.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20020609/ai_n12841499/

Even google can tell you that post of yours is full of swiss cheese.

Oh Look a convenient disinformation distraction....

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hangedhitman

g2 does exist what i have been told by someone whos had a lot of service in the pdf mps g2 used to have all of there vehicles in mckee and some weapons stored in collins and mckee barracks there vehicles were changed every year and they could be anything from toyotas to land rovers they would also only colaoraite with high ranking members of the mps if you think im lieing i couldent care less but thats what iv been told by someone with 27 years service in the mps across all mp units

g2 does exist what i have been told by someone whos had a lot of service in the pdf mps g2 used to have all of there vehicles in mckee and some weapons stored in collins and mckee barracks there vehicles were changed every year and they could be anything from toyotas to land rovers they would also only colaoraite with high ranking members of the mps if you think im lieing i couldent care less but thats what iv been told by someone with 27 years service in the mps across all mp units

Did you say that sentence all in one breath???:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

muppet01 wrote: »
    Did you say that sentence all in one breath???:D

Probably because if he had stopped he would have p!ssed himself laughing at the level of claptrap....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I heard it was G2 who put the figs into fig rolls. They're also responsible for stealing all the bog roll from the jacks in Gormo, its part of a psychological profiling experiment. Same way that the urinals are located in the path of an inward swinging door.

They also know the colour of the boathouse :)

I'd better be carefull though, they are watching this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

And yet you know all about them? :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Easy. He doesn't exist either.

As they are both in a plane of non-existance, there is full knowledge.

NTM

• Advertisement

They operate out of a vast underground cavern under the skellig rock which was occupied by SPECTRE until NAMA siezed it from them and prevented world domination...

Advertisement