Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good routes?

Options
  • 25-08-2007 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Trying to get into longer cycles at the mo.

I do about 90 mins (45x2) a day commute to work. While its OK, im looking for something to do at the weekend which will let me see how far I can actually go.

I live in Templeogue, so the route I take to work (CityWest) is roughly 10k each way. On the way in, its all uphill-ish and takes me around 50 mins. then on the way back, i get home in about 40, possibly even 30 mins(its much easier)! The thing that slows me down a LOT is traffic and traffic lights. I go through as many housing estates as possible to avoid them.

But basically, is there any well known cycle routes one could take at the weekend to try put themselves through the paces? I'd be looking to avoid the city unfortunately, coz I know I could probable do a few runs around Phoenix Park or whatnot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Sunday mornings is usually the best time to avoid traffic. During the week I'm limited to lapping the park at off peak hours but on Sunday traffic is usually calm enough to criss cross the city if you really need to. If I were you i'd head up the coast via blackrock - sandymount - clontarf - howth hill - and return. Howth hill will probably near kill you the first few times but the roll down the far side is well worth it and there are cycle lanes most of the way back.

Croke park is to be avoided a couple of hours before and after a game though, especially the drumcondra road / dorset street.

If I was a southsider like you I'd prolly think about making my way further south towards the mountains though. Being from Finglas I'm afraid I'd burn myself out if I ventured down and end up not able to cycle back to the northside :(

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

Dublin mountains are the way to go if you're living on the southside.

Head out through Dundrum village (not bypass) and keep going straight over the M50 and passed Lambs cross. You then pass some apartments which are being built and come to a small roundabout. Go straight through the roundabout and then take an immediate right fork. Now you're out of the city and the real climbing begins.

The first time I tried this I was knackered after a short bit of the climb. So you can take a right which is signposted for Rathfarnam (I think). This brings you back via the Blue Light and Lamb Doyles

Otherwise, keep going all the way till you get to Johnny Fox's. It's mostly uphill but there's a nice, but short descent to Fox's. Turn right at the crossroads and head across the face of the mountain. Again mostly uphill but a nice descent where you join a more main road. Follow the road left up the hill. After a bit you hit the military road at a car park with a great view over the city.

From there it's downhill all the way, and a smashing descent it is too. At the end of the road take a right and immediate left and keep going straight till you reach the Yellow House in Rathfarnham. Starting and finishing in D6 it's about 20 miles and plenty of climbing.

If you're not used to real mountains, you probably won't manage this on your first attempt - I certainly didn't. But keep it up, it's a lovely route and a real break from the city. And once you can handle this, get yourself an OS map of north wicklow. You'll get loads of ideas from that.

Edit: See this map for the above route. Enniskerry Rd, first fork right to Glencullen (Johnny Fox's), Pineforest Rd, Cruagh Rd, Stocking Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Why not head out the N81 towards Blessington and go across the gap at Hollywood,I think its into laragh, its a big favourite amongst cyclists, theres always a few on the road on Sat and Sunday mornings.

Again you might not do it first time but you'll build up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i actually dont know how far i can go! the cycling that i do, i get into work out of breath and sweaty alright, but not exhausted. like i could easily turn around and go home the way i jsut came! admittedly its downhill, but still. other than being out of breath, theres no other "tiredness factors". hopefully i can find somewhere to stretch meself. im living by the spawell so that N81 route would seem straightforward. I dont know the way to Johhny Fox's from here. only livin here a few months. ill keep lookin anyway!

hi b_man its 52 miles long and fairly hairy so it may well take some working up to. but you can always turn around when you'ce had enough !

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1267875

• Advertisement

wow, thats some route!! perhaps something to set as a long term goal, rather than just a sunday spin!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you live in Templeogue definately head up the mountains. There are a lot of shorter routes possible so you can work up to it- start off by heading up the road by the Hellfire Club and you can loop around by Johnny Foxes or for a bit longer continue on up to Glencree and Eniskerry or Sally Gap and return by the N81.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Persius wrote:

Head out through Dundrum village (not bypass) and keep going straight over the M50 and passed Lambs cross. You then pass some apartments which are being built and come to a small roundabout. Go straight through the roundabout and then take an immediate right fork. Now you're out of the city and the real climbing begins.

The first time I tried this I was knackered after a short bit of the climb. So you can take a right which is signposted for Rathfarnam (I think). This brings you back via the Blue Light and Lamb Doyles

Otherwise, keep going all the way till you get to Johnny Fox's. It's mostly uphill but there's a nice, but short descent to Fox's. Turn right at the crossroads and head across the face of the mountain. Again mostly uphill but a nice descent where you join a more main road. Follow the road left up the hill. After a bit you hit the military road at a car park with a great view over the city.

From there it's downhill all the way, and a smashing descent it is too. At the end of the road take a right and immediate left and keep going straight till you reach the Yellow House in Rathfarnham. Starting and finishing in D6 it's about 20 miles and plenty of climbing.

If you're not used to real mountains, you probably won't manage this on your first attempt - I certainly didn't. But keep it up, it's a lovely route and a real break from the city. And once you can handle this, get yourself an OS map of north wicklow. You'll get loads of ideas from that.

Edit: See this map for the above route. Enniskerry Rd, first fork right to Glencullen (Johnny Fox's), Pineforest Rd, Cruagh Rd, Stocking Lane.

I did that one tonight except i went from Glasnevin over so 55k all in. Nice spin, but the sun vanished a bit too early and it was pitch black on the descent. Lucky i brought my lights!

Wouldn't recommend it if you're not up for long distances-1 or 2 very hard climbs on it. Definitely would want to build up on smaller routes up there first.

I'll be heading up that way again for sure though, but on a sunday morning or something.

whats the condition of the roads up there? is there any of those really tiny skinny roads that ya could only fit one car down? what about much potholes?

Persius wrote:

Hey Perisus,

I did this route on Saturday morning - nice ride - bit short but some tough climbs. (I will cycle from home next time I think rather than drive to Dundrum)
    Is it harder the opposite way round I seemed to meet a few guys doing it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's steeper but shorter coming up from Rathfarnham, depends on what you prefer really. You have a choice of Edmondstown road with a pretty steep bendy bit for a shortcut (if going to Johnny Foxes) or Stocking Lane which is probably near as bad but longer and more spread out so maybe feels a bit easier ;-)

If going the other way you gain around 200m from Foxes along Pine Forest road and then Crugh road but it is a fairly gentle ascent comparitively.

Ballyedmonduff road was being resurfaced when I was last up there (last week) but they were due to finish by Saturday (and had no problem letting cyclists through in any case.)

EDIT: Here's a map with elevation profile (click "elevation", unfortunately not metric.) They have finished on Ballyedmonduff Road, was up there this evening and a few other cyclists were about.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

The_B_Man wrote:
    whats the condition of the roads up there? is there any of those really tiny skinny roads that ya could only fit one car down? what about much potholes?

All roads are wide enough for two cars. The surface varies, but I think the worst surfaced section is actually while still in the city - i.e. around Dundrum. So no potholes or anything major
    RobAMerc wrote:
    Hey Perisus,

I did this route on Saturday morning - nice ride - bit short but some tough climbs. (I will cycle from home next time I think rather than drive to Dundrum)
    Is it harder the opposite way round I seemed to meet a few guys doing it that way.

I'd say it's more difficult the other way alright. The climb up the military road to the car park has some quite steep sections. Against that you probably have longer stretches of descent. However I don't mind longish ascents of moderate gradient. The other problem with doing it the other way is that the final descent into town is on much poorer surfaced road. The road surface isn't so important when climbing, but there's nothing more annoying than having to use the brakes on a nice descent just cause the road surface is a bit bumpy.

Advertisement