Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to watch HD-DVD

• 25-08-2007 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I've a 1080p LCD and would like to get a high definiton DVD player.

Without going into Blu-Ray V HD-DVD all over again, what would be the best route to go right now for HD-DVD. I've read the standalone players are out, due to price compared to the games consoles, but the Toshiba HD-E1 (1080i) is €399.

How does the XBOX360 HD-DVD player add-on work? Which version of the Xbox should I get, the cheapest version (Core?) + the add-on? I won't play games, but my son who plays all his games on the PC, certainly would. Does it do 1080p and TrueHD sound, bitstream, LPCM? Can't see this info on the xbox website. I've ordered an AV amp that does all the new sound formats. Is the XBOX HDMI?

Same questions for PS3/Blu-Ray. Output resolution?/sound formats?/connectivity?

Sorry for so many questions. Building a home cinema from scratch and my head is wrecked! The video player is the last piece of the jigsaw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well I can answer some of the HD-DVD Xbox questions as I have that setup.

Whats required;
    Any Xbox 360 - no HD needed
    Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on drive

What's it capable of;
    * 1080i on component connections (restriction of AACS not console).
    * 1080p via HDMI but only the black Elite Xbox 360's & new white Xbox 360's have HDMI, the new white ones aren't here yet ? (not totally sure on that but the white boxes are marked with HDMI support)

Installation - plug in Xbox and setup system, connect it to the net and then it updates the dashboard (or download update and burn to CD). Now put CD that comes with Xbox into it (install codecs not required after) and then connect the drive to the console and your setup. It will probably download another update but it may depend on the title thats in the drive & if there is one available.

As for audio output no idea as it's not something I'm interested in all I know is that it does lack one or two things in the audio department at the higher end of the scale this FAQ may reveal more.

If you don't already own an Xbox 360 then it is probably a better idea to get a HD-DVD player from Toshiba with it having HDMI and full audio support.

PS3 cant be too specific on but it's a full Blu-ray player and probably the only Blu-ray player worth getting as the Blu-ray standard is still being alerted with and the PS3 is probably the only player that can be upgraded to the later versions.

1080i on component
    1080p via HDMI (HDMI is on all PS3's)

The ps3 is a great option for what you want. Full HDMI support,1080p output. Its also an excellent dvd upscaler. As for sound output it supports dolby true hd and dts. It can also play super audio cd's and can rip cd's to its hard drive.
    As for connectivity: built in wifi for streaming media-be warned though it doesn't support avi yet, but it might with a future update. It has four usb ports and supports pretty much any usb device eg. digital cameras/flash drives/hard drives/moble phones etc.
    Sony have also announced play tv, which will let you watch/record digital tv on your ps3. This should be available after christmas.

Advertisement