Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long does it take for Penalty Points letter to come?

Options
  • 25-08-2007 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

I got caught for speeding a couple of days ago but I'm just wondering how long it takes for the Dublin Office to send out the letter as I'm leaving in two weeks for the states for over a month and a half.

It's just two and the guard said they wouldn't affect my insurance but now I'm worried I won't be home when the letter arrives and I don't want to make a family member go down (for obvious reasons)...

I was overtaking at the time, I now know guards literally hide on their own in bushes!. I deserve them I guess but apart from this I'm like a little old granny with the speed limit so I suppose I just have to accept my bad luck...

Does anyone else have them here? Should I ring someone about issuing the letter asap or is it that cheeky?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hey Strokesfan,

It took around 3 - 4 weeks to receive mine. If the letter arrives, a family member doesnt need to go down to do anything. Its a form that is posted back (with payment details and a signature), and a copy of your driving licence. If it arrives, you have two options.

Firstly make a copy of your driving licence anyway, then either:

Get a family member to fill in the payment details and sign it on your behalf (obviously that is forgery but...)

or

Get a family member to post the form to you in the states, you fill it in and then send it back. Obvious concern there is how long the postal system will take. Being honest, option 1 is the best option but I didnt tell you ;)

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Keep your airline tickets etc. If you can show that you were out of the country there shouldn't be a probelm. Many motorists who are caught speeding wouldn't realise until they get the notification anyway.

Or as antodeco says, leave the €80 and your licence number with a family member and get them to sign the letter and send it off.

It can take up to 6 months for the notification to arrive anyway so you may have returned.
    antodeco wrote:
    Get a family member to fill in the payment details and sign it on your behalf (obviously that is forgery but...)
    I wouldn't worry about it - it would be different if it was being signed to implicate someone else but the OP was driving at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I got mine within 1 week of the offense, paid the fine and got the points notification about 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

leave the €80 and your licence number with a family member and get them to sign the letter and send it off.

I never had to sign any form or give them my licence number when I got pulled over for speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

^^ Okay, thanks guys appreciate that advice - at least I know if something happens I can take my airline tickets to explain a delay and that's some comfort.

Also, glad to hear I'm not the only one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 patdbaker

the guard said they wouldn't affect my insurance
    most likey not if renewing policy, in my case i was getting a quote from another insurance company and asked if i had points, i told them i had 2, they then asked what for, when they heard speeding i'm sure they up'd the cost, not sure though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement