Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passport - Approaching renewal date

• 25-08-2007 7:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone please explain to me why some airlines demand that your passport has a certain amount of validity left on it, say 30 days?

The fact that the passport is valid for the duration of the flights booked should be enough? What concern is it of Ryanair or anybody else that your passport will require renewal at some point in the future after you've travelled with them.

Even if it runs out before your booked date of return surely their responsibility ends with them pointing out that they cannot carry you on the return flight unless you have renewed the passport before then.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Perhaps it is a requirement of the country concerned and the airline have to follow those rules. (I'm just guessing!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Hagar wrote:
    Can someone please explain to me why some airlines demand that your passport has a certain amount of validity left on it, say 30 days?

The fact that the passport is valid for the duration of the flights booked should be enough? What concern is it of Ryanair or anybody else that your passport will require renewal at some point in the future after you've travelled with them.

Even if it runs out before your booked date of return surely their responsibility ends with them pointing out that they cannot carry you on the return flight unless you have renewed the passport before then.

Passports have unique numbers that will change upon renewal, Hagar. A new passport won't be the same one that you booked with, so it won't be accepted as being correct ID (Remember you an only have one passport) . Personally, I'd rather them to refuse booking than to refuse passage.

Of course, the mere fact that they make more money on a late booking probably has no bearing on this whatsoever ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭HPMan

You can have more than one passport, many Irish / English (UK) people have both.

HPMan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hamndegger wrote:
    Passports have unique numbers that will change upon renewal, Hagar. A new passport won't be the same one that you booked with, so it won't be accepted as being correct ID (Remember you an only have one passport) . Personally, I'd rather them to refuse booking than to refuse passage.

Of course, the mere fact that they make more money on a late booking probably has no bearing on this whatsoever ;)

AFAIK, you don't have to produce your passport when you're making a booking... so why would passport numbers have anything to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Perhaps it is a requirement of the country concerned and the airline have to follow those rules. (I'm just guessing!)
    AFAIK this is the reason. While not every country will insist on the 30 days, for ease of administration, an airline might specify this.

I think the USA insists on 90 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

AFAIK, you don't have to produce your passport when you're making a booking... so why would passport numbers have anything to do with it?

Some do ask you for same upon booking, Adrienne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hamndegger wrote:
    Some do ask you for same upon booking, Adrienne.

Worked as a travel agent for two years and it's never been protocol unless you didn't know how to spell the persons name. It's Adrieanne.

I think the USA ask for 90 days because that's how long you can stay in the States for without a visa. Other countries probably ask for a set period of time in case there are complications and you cannot travel back within your passports validilty and you need to apply for a new one while abroad.

Advertisement